You are here

who needs a guitarist these days?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: who needs a guitarist these days?

Postby DJFunkivybbb » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:35 pm

Wigworld wrote:Isn't that what Keane did?

Wonkey Wabbit wrote:You could probably do a Coldplay album with VST guitars and get away with it.

Funny
DJFunkivybbb

Postby neonknight » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:34 am

Rick Taylor wrote:
neonknight wrote:frampton...the list is HUGE! :)

Frampton?

:) Forgot Duane Allman, Dickie Betts, Tommy Bolin, Mick Ronson, Edge, Helios Creed, BBKing, Buckethead, Howe, Buck Dharma, Zappa, Mick Box and Nick Zinner... {and a cast of thousands.}

I saw Dixie Dregs live from about 2 feet away. Morse is plain amazing. Blackmore, as well. {Actually, I've seen most of these guys live... They're all pretty amazing.}

Frampton?
Mate, what's wrong with Frampton? :)
I actually love some of his work...
neonknight
Poster

Postby neonknight » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:35 am

Huh, I saw Audioslave last night in Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam...Tom Morello is brilliant, I love the guy's sound and style, he is like no other guitar player I have heard...
neonknight
Poster

Postby Skyline » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:08 am

I'm glad I'm a guitarist - cf. Paul White's editorial the other month. I can more easily get my keyboards tracks done using today's technology than a keyboard player can do his guitar tracks. ;)
Skyline
Regular
When I'm sad I sing, and then the whole world is sad with me.
Band / Songs

Postby Rick Taylor » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:01 am

neonknight wrote:Mate, what's wrong with Frampton? :)
I actually love some of his work...

Nothing really. I've just always seen him as more of a pop idol than a serious musician.

{Still suffering from a '7os overdose of that live album.}

What has he done since he stopped being a pop idol?
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby RedRum » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:09 pm

Rick Taylor wrote:You could always do a midi guitar. Don't you wish Jimi was around to show folk what they could do with them?

guitar midi does not work very well unfortunately, because I am a guitarist, but my keyboard skill are limited to single hand plink plonking....

but yeah, I would wish to see how music legends such as jimmy, or the doors would treat todays technologies. In fact, in his last ever interview, jim morrison was asked what does he see as the future for music. he answered that he would like to see one person, with tapes, synths and other equipment to be able to produce music on the fly...

and that was in 1970...

imagine morrison, manzarek and hendrix having a laptop jam!!!
RedRum
New here

Postby neonknight » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:41 pm

I have no idea where he is, I just remember listening to some old records when I was 14 or something..good question though, I will check him out...
neonknight
Poster

Postby Rick Taylor » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:09 pm

RedRum wrote:
Rick Taylor wrote:You could always do a midi guitar. Don't you wish Jimi was around to show folk what they could do with them?

guitar midi does not work very well unfortunately, because I am a guitarist, but my keyboard skill are limited to single hand plink plonking....

There are whole bunches of new models... they must do something right.

but yeah, I would wish to see how music legends such as jimmy, or the doors would treat todays technologies. In fact, in his last ever interview, jim morrison was asked what does he see as the future for music. he answered that he would like to see one person, with tapes, synths and other equipment to be able to produce music on the fly...

and that was in 1970...

imagine morrison, manzarek and hendrix having a laptop jam!!!

I can image Manzarek would be amazing on synths {anyone see their tour with Astbury? {Though my memories of "Night City" don't seem all that favorable.}} ... For that matter... I can image "Celebration of the Lizard" done with today's tech... It would probably hurt the audience.

:) Forgot Krieger.
Rick Taylor
Regular

Postby Don Chishiotte » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:38 pm

BillyMidnight wrote:todays tip: go to musiclab.com, download the demo of real guitar (im certain this is the best vsti ever) then if u want to go 'Bob Dylan 1965' pop off to native-instruments.com and download the demo of the totally amazing guitar rig, plug real guitar into it, turn up to 11 and.. well get the kleenex out. i just LOVE computers.

maybe you listened only to crap guitar players. ;)
Don Chishiotte
Poster

Postby Rick Taylor » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:17 am

Don Chishiotte wrote:
BillyMidnight wrote:todays tip: go to musiclab.com, download the demo of real guitar (im certain this is the best vsti ever) then if u want to go 'Bob Dylan 1965' pop off to native-instruments.com and download the demo of the totally amazing guitar rig, plug real guitar into it, turn up to 11 and.. well get the kleenex out. i just LOVE computers.

maybe you listened only to crap guitar players. ;)

If it gives you the sound you want... It gives you the sound you want. Personally, I think it's pretty easy to get a really wide variety of sounds with synths. As much as I love guitars... they're not necessary for the stuff I'm doing.

It would be cool if it were possible to digitize the skills, knowledge and technique of someone like Fripp or Belew or Santana and store them in some sort of ai guitar synth.

...The guitarists would get instant "eternal life", the bar would get raised for guitarists everywhere {which would force some creativity}, composers would become just that much more enabled and the quality of music would rise immeasurably. {I love computers too}
Rick Taylor
Regular

Previous