You are here

DON'T LET YOUR PCS OVERHEAT TODAY !!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

DON'T LET YOUR PCS OVERHEAT TODAY !!

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi All!

If you're in the UK it's much hotter than normal today, so it's worth keeping an eye on your PC temperatures :roll:

HDD Health has just informed me for the first time ever that my two hard drives have just exceeded 45 degrees Centigrade (which is a good high limit to aim for), so I've increased my fan speeds slightly to bring this down. However, my CPU is still sitting at 38 degrees Centigrade, so that's fine.

Don't get overheated! :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: DON'T LET YOUR PCS OVERHEAT TODAY !!

Postby Peter C » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:34 pm

I'm way too hot... but all my computers seem fine.

Peter
Peter C
Regular

Postby Mowens800 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:09 pm

I wouldnt even know how to find out its tempreture,.. unless i found a themonitor thing and stuck it inside the case... I closed my curtains before i went to work today anyway so all should be fine
Mowens800
Regular

Postby pwdm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:15 pm

Same here in Danmark.
Also just bought my 1st mic (studio projects B1 bought on grounds of a good review and so for performance nicly) and I cant use it because of the noise outside and the room/pc overheats if I close it.
And of course cant use at night for the niebours sake.

Suppose we could always go out and enjoy the day.
pwdm
New here

Postby forumuser696440 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:40 pm

I was going to ask this the other day - can you get info about system temperature from windows (if so where)? Or do you need a 3rd party app. Are there any good freeware ones?
forumuser696440
New here

www.myspace.com/benjunctionbox

Postby TTN » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:45 pm

you can often check your cpu and system temperatures in the bios.
within windows you can generally get an app from your motherboard manufacturer's website; my motherboard is the abit nf7, and there is a 3rd party app called winbond hardware doctor which does the job for me. I have noticed you often find discrepancies between the temperatures that these windows programs give in comparison to the temperatures in the bios
TTN
Poster

Postby Neo-Classical Guitar Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:48 pm

I use HDD Thermometer by RSD Software Inc. It can shutdown the pc when temps become too bad. The tempertature in my room is currently 33.1°C and sometimes goes upto 40°C

http://www.rsdsoft.com/hdd-thermometer/index.php

Good idea to close curtains though like someone else said earlier, mainly because this is the cause of many house fires. Infact even during the winter months, the sun is strong enough to cause a fire.

I also open up the ATX tower and direct a fan at the front, although I don't remove the sides of the tower.

NCGM - I really love feeling hot, sticky, sweaty, headaches, miserable during the summer months... :roll: :protest: :madas: :roll: :madas: :protest:
Neo-Classical Guitar Man
Regular
Footloose and fancy free...gizz a job!

Postby Mowens800 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 pm

my HD is running at 39 right now, but its blue so that means it's alright, this program has made it much noiser. thanks for the link though
Mowens800
Regular

Postby Brian Moynihan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:30 pm

When it gets this hot there's a great simple solution, get yourself down to the beach with your rolled up trousers and ice creams. That's what I did today, I seriously had work to do but there was no way I was going to take a chance with molten lava pouring out of the studio PCs. Of course, if I'd taken my wife's advice about sun cream on my back I wouldn't be in such agony right now.....

Bob
Brian Moynihan
Regular

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:52 pm

My computers aren't overheating, but they are generating enough heat for me to overheat. My studio is about 10 degrees hotter than any other room in the house, and according to my flatmates - stinks.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby itinerant baker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:10 am

Martin: the return... wrote:I was going to ask this the other day - can you get info about system temperature from windows (if so where)? Or do you need a 3rd party app. Are there any good freeware ones?

SiSoftware's Sandra ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/download92.html ) will monitor cpu temperature along with a lot of other ino about your 'puter. Not sure about hard drives temps though.
itinerant baker
New here

Postby bulley » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:40 am

try pc wizard 2005, tells you everything, for free.

bulley
bulley
Poster

Postby Shivanand » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:20 pm

Doesn't anybody have aircon? I didn't even realise it was a hot day yesterday until I went out at 1830.

Is it hot today too? 8-)
Shivanand
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:29 pm

Sorry guys and gals - I thought most of you would remember me mentioning the freeware DTemp utility that shows you your hard drive temperatures. Here it is, and it's only a 144KB download:

http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/DTemp/DTemp.zip

CPU and mainboard temps are best monitored either in the BIOS, or using the motherboard manufacturer's utility that comes on the motherbaord support CD-ROM (which includes any offsets that may or may not be incorporated into 3rd party utilities). For instance, I use Asus Probe for my Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:34 pm

Yes, it's hot today as well Shivanand ;)

Air conditioning? In the UK? Most of us here suffer in silence, or take a cold shower - it's the English way :? :crazy:

Martin
Martin Walker

Next