You are here

FAQ: Where Can I find Cubase patch Scripts?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

FAQ: Where Can I find Cubase patch Scripts?

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Every month or so someone posts in our forums asking where they can find a particular Cubase Patch Script for one of their synths, so to save us all having to reply yet again, the best place to look is this page, where RiVeTeD has collected together all the patch scriptsfound on his travels through newsgroups and other web sites:

http://www.rivetedstudios.com/CmodsDownload.html

It currently offers scripts for synths from Access, Alesis, Boss, Ensoniq, a large range of Emu modules, Kawai, a big range for Korg products, Kurzweil, Novation, a huge range of Roland ones, Waldorf, and a good range of Yamaha ones.

If you still don't find what you're after, a Google search for 'cubase patch script' will produce a vast list of other possibilities.

Martin

5th June 2006
P.S. Just to save everyone interested in this topic from having to wade through this entire thread to discover the link, there's now a very good thread with lots of patch scripts on the Cubase.net forums. Here it is:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33055

April2007
Main link above, updated to current Cubase resources page at Riveted Studios.

Max
Martin Walker

Re: FAQ: Where Can I find Cubase patch Scripts?

Postby Coltart84 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Martin -

Un-fortunately this is a site Ive visted before. Theres no Korg Studio script. Caters for everything but. Will the ordinary Triton patch script work? or will it dial up contrasting patches when linking from cubase to the Triton Studio?

Id be grateful for any suggestions,

Cheers

Steven
Coltart84

Postby Coltart84 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:11 pm

Forgot to say that I can only find Cakewalk Ins Files on net searches for the Triton Studio

Steven
Coltart84

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Steven!

I don't whether or not the ordinary Triton script will work, but there's an easy way to find out ;)

Seriously, the files are small, and you can't do any damage to Cubase or any synth trying out patch scripts - the worst that can happen is that you might have to edit some or all of the patch names, or that some banks will be missing altogether.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Mr DiBergi » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:05 am

Are there any straightforward explanations of how to actually set these up? I've been googling around and searched SOS and everything I can find seems to assume knowledge that I don't have.

The scripts look like loosely formatted text files, with comments and non-script looking info - what do you actually need to do with them?
Mr DiBergi
New here
Looking for musicians?
www.partysounds.co.uk

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:41 pm

You just stick them in the appropriate folder (the reason I provided that link was that it gave details on where to stick them;))

www.obscure.org/~riveted/cubasesx.html

If you want more basic information, it's all in the Cubase PDF manual in the Chapter named 'MIDI Devices and Patches', but as I'm a helpful sort of guy, here's a link to my Cubase Notes column on the subject from way back in SOS June 2002 (although this refers to Cubase VST, nothing has essentially changed since):

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/Jun02/articles ... es0602.asp

Here's another more recent Cubase Notes column that explains how to write yuor own Patch Name Scripts from scratch:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/sep04/articles/cubasenotes.htm

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Mr DiBergi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi Martin, thanks for that. The site you mentioned did have info on where to put it, which was useful but my problem was more just understanding what they actually did and how they worked. I also read your article but it applied to VST rather than SX - nevertheless interesting.

The problem I have is renaming the banks from their numerical range (ie 1-44) to some sort of description (ie Pianos & Organs. I'm aware of the buggy edit button and have checked an unchecked it, but after typing the new name and hitting enter it reverts to its original name. Tried editing the script but that didn't seem to work either - v odd.

Still, better than nothing and definitely better than writing one's own...

Thanks for your help Mr Walker!
Mr DiBergi
New here
Looking for musicians?
www.partysounds.co.uk

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:34 pm

Mr DB - but I'm still using scripts written for Cubase VST in SX with no problems!

The main confusion is that Steinberg moved them from one folder to another, but left the old ones intact in the Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX\Scripts folder. The ones you need to edit are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\General\Application Data\Steinberg\Cubase SX\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive

You either drop new patch name scripts in there to be able to choose them in the Cubase MIDI Device Manager, or edit the ones that are already there in something like Notepad. Changing the banks from numerical to descriptive entries should be a doddle (I've just done one on one of my scripts in a couple of seconds).

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:59 pm

is this not perhaps meant to be in the PC forum martin???

Just wondering....

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Postby Bossman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:06 am

Max The Mac wrote:is this not perhaps meant to be in the PC forum martin???

Just wondering....

Max

hehe, you tell 'im Max... :round1:

go Max, go Max....
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:24 am

Max The Mac wrote:is this not perhaps meant to be in the PC forum martin???

Just wondering....

Max

Hi Max!

Both the Mac and PC versions of Cubase SX use Patch Scripts (I've just double-checked on the Mac section of the Cubase.net forums), which is why I stuck this thread here for cross-platform consumption. They are after all only text files.

(sorry Bossman - no fisticuffs in here ;))

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:36 am

no worries matey, I was just curious...... :lol:

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Postby Bossman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:13 pm

:roll:

damn, i thought there was going to be a propa fight - I've been selling tickets and everything :headbang:
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Replicant » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Sorry for jumping in, but if you've already created your MIDI Device in SX3 it's not as simple as following the instructions for importing a patch. I've got an .XML file that has an excellent Template for editing but lack the preset management (which I've managed to import from a script .txt file).
So anyone have any idea if it's possible to merge the patch section of a MIDI Device with the Panel from another :?
Replicant

Postby Nebulae » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:34 pm

I too visited the above mentioned site for a patch script but they dont have what i'm lookin for. I need one for the korg electribe sx if anyone has one.
Nebulae
Regular

Next