You are here

Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 pm

No, it means that a Windows.old folder is retained on your computer for 30 days, enabling an in-place roll-back. Obviously you'll also have a full system image of the computer, pre-update, as part of your routine backup strategy.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

How NOT to install Windows 10

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:30 am

Just an aside. The Register has published an article on the official way to stop W10 being installed on your PC if you do not want it. The article is here.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby alexis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:49 am

So ... if I wanted W10, after imaging is the best thing just to start clicking Yes on the big blue box that keeps popping up when I power on the computer?

Or should I somehow do a "fresh install" instead of going through their update process?

Thanks -
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby robinv » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:51 am

Accepted wisdom dictates that you should do a fresh install - which is a good and healthy thing to do from time to time anyway. However, ive now upgraded 3 different machines with no ill effects.

In order to do a fresh install you'll need to go through the upgrade procedure so that your system gets recognised for the free upgrade - so you can always try it and see before doing the fresh install.
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on
Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:53 am

I can't say it's the 'best', but the update is what I've done on all my PCs and it's been painless. All my software still in place and nothing to fix, short of the mousepad settings on my laptop.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:24 pm

The Elf wrote:
alexis wrote:
ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:
ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!
+99!

If there were ever 2 words that have profound impact on life, it is those 2 words 'Image First' Yes of course there are a few other 2 word phrases equally profound but computing wise 'IF' is surely the most important
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby alexis » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:53 am

Having upgraded to W10 (I IF'd!!), and played around with the settings a bit, I just have one question. The computer is 97% DAW, 3% general surfing machine btw. I'm wondering whether I should check the box "Defer Updates".

Seems like a reasonable thing to do - helps the user bypasses the inevitable dodgy upgrades while MS works on a hot fixes to rectify (thereby avoiding potential DAW downtime), while still getting security updates as they are released.

Thanks for any thoughts!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby robinv » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:40 pm

Personally, i've been finding that with each update my computer gets "better", but accepted wisdom says you should defer.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Postby alexis » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:15 pm

robinv wrote:Personally, i've been finding that with each update my computer gets "better", but accepted wisdom says you should defer.

Thanks for that, robinv!

I should also explicitly thank you for your great article. So glad it is pinned to the top of this subforum! I reviewed it last night as I was setting up my new W10 - great resource.

One other question for your or any other W10 cognoscenti - regarding MalwareBytes.

The W10 update process was done on my DAW, by ADK remotely. I noticed before they upgraded they seemed to remove MalwareBytes from my computer, "the upgrade works better with it gone" they answered when I asked.

So, after all was said and done, there was no trace of MalwareBytes on my computer. I contacted them, and within hours they had emailed me my personal code (worth $$), and now I'm up and running with that as well.

But ... I will be doing the upgrade on my other computers myself ... and am wondering - do I really have to wipe all traces of MalwareBytes from my computers before doing so?

Thanks for any thoughts!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby JSantos » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Just recently updated to Windows 10 earlier this morning.

Then I had to roll back because

-plenty of my drivers were missing. My ASIO was even mis-aligned. :frown:
-my wifi adapter wasn't working. also my LAN card.
-some USBs lost functionality.

I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition to Windows 10. I believe registry troubles caused these little problems.

Has anyone ever encountered a different outcome coming from Windows 7 Ultimate? I'm planning to do a fresh install instead of proceeding with an upgrade.
JSantos
Poster

Postby damoore » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:08 pm

You were lucky. When I tried to update to W10, my machine wouldn't even boot. Had to completely reinstall 7.

The software I had used to clone my disk before hand did not create a bootable drive, too, so it was back to square 1. At least I was able to get all my files back.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby alexis » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 am

damoore wrote:You were lucky. When I tried to update to W10, my machine wouldn't even boot. Had to completely reinstall 7.

The software I had used to clone my disk before hand did not create a bootable drive, too, so it was back to square 1. At least I was able to get all my files back.

Hi - I don't know much about these things ... so I was under the impression that a clone was a bit-for-bit copy from one drive to another, so it would be supposed to create that bootable drive.

Where is that thinking in error, yikes!?
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bojet » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm on Windows 10 with Pro Tools 12 HD. My problem is when I try to import a video to PT (no matter what kind of... mp4, mov, avi, whatever) it can't import it. I installed the latest quicktime (7.7.9) and Avid codecs LE 2.7.3 for win...
But no luck.
Any help?
Thanks a lot!
Bojet

Postby robinv » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Bojet wrote:Hi all,

I'm on Windows 10 with Pro Tools 12 HD. My problem is when I try to import a video to PT (no matter what kind of... mp4, mov, avi, whatever) it can't import it. I installed the latest quicktime (7.7.9) and Avid codecs LE 2.7.3 for win...
But no luck.
Any help?
Thanks a lot!

Hi Bojet - welcome to the forum!
Do these videos play back ok generally in Windows in Films/TV or Media Player?
robinv
Frequent Poster

Previous