You are here

Windows 10 upgrade - legacy hardware works fine !

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 upgrade - legacy hardware works fine !

Postby basic channel » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello

For anyone who is interested (? = 0 !), my Yamaha sw1000 xg works fine on Windows 10 32 bit.

My TC Electronic Powercore Firewire also appears to work OK (32 bit & 64 bit OS's).

So I'm very happy.

My one concern is something breaking this in the future (as Win 10 is a constant work in progress apparently, so backwards driver compatibility could be an issue at some stage). If so I would appeal to M$ to let me re-activate the Win 7 images !
basic channel
Regular

Re: Windows 10 upgrade - legacy hardware works fine !

Postby OneWorld » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:00 pm

basic channel wrote:Hello

For anyone who is interested (? = 0 !), my Yamaha sw1000 xg works fine on Windows 10 32 bit.

My TC Electronic Powercore Firewire also appears to work OK (32 bit & 64 bit OS's).

So I'm very happy.

My one concern is something breaking this in the future (as Win 10 is a constant work in progress apparently, so backwards driver compatibility could be an issue at some stage). If so I would appeal to M$ to let me re-activate the Win 7 images !
But with the sw1000xg (why on earth don't Yamaha make an equivalent for today!) running on Win7/32 is essentially no different than xp is it?

Going off at a tangent slightly, we know many xp softwares will run on Win7/32 and many on Win7/64. Does anyone know if it is possible to get Groove Agent 2 working on Win7/64? It goes through the installation fine, both the app and the libraries, but it simply refuses to find my eLiceneser.

I have bought Kontakt Studio Drummer, Groove Agent 4, both of which are great and very complex, what I liked about Groove Agent 2 was it loaded in an instant, and gave basic bread and butter rhythms which could easily be changed by altering the slider position, great to get a tune going. Most importantly, I could send the patterns to a MIDI track in Cubase. There seems to be no equivalent these days, everything is sooo complex.

Same goes with Kontakt 5 and Halion 5, both are great. I bought them to replace Gigastudio VST, which loaded in no time at all, ok no editing available but for a quick and easy sampler, it was just the job. But again, it goes thgrough the installation and loading the libraries but will not see the licence on my eLicenser dongle
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:54 pm

OneWorld wrote:Going off at a tangent slightly, we know many xp softwares will run on Win7/32 and many on Win7/64. Does anyone know if it is possible to get Groove Agent 2 working on Win7/64? It goes through the installation fine, both the app and the libraries, but it simply refuses to find my eLicenser.

Have you installed the latest eLicenser drivers that support Windows 10 (version 6.9.2.1179 released on October 22nd, 2015)?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:17 pm

basic channel wrote:...as Win 10 is a constant work in progress apparently...

Isn't EVERY OS these days?

Glad your kit's working for you.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,489 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Forum Admin wrote:

Sadly, the reason so many people are worried about Windows 10 is that it absolutely insists on installing driver updates behind your back, whether or not they may clobber your audio performance (I've written about LOADS of problems achieving glitch-free low latency audio after changing drivers for things such as graphic cards) :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby basic channel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Sadly, the reason so many people are worried about Windows 10 is that it absolutely insists on installing driver updates behind your back, whether or not they may clobber your audio performance (I've written about LOADS of problems achieving glitch-free low latency audio after changing drivers for things such as graphic cards) :beamup:

Martin

Well I doubt it will install any graphics card drivers behind my back as my nvidia 7300 GT is not officially supported for Win 10, so stuck at a driver from last year !

I agree I have gambled with this upgrade as something may change in a Windows 10 update which breaks things - but seems fine at the moment ...
basic channel
Regular

Postby John Reid » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 pm

More legacy hardware -- the Steinberg Midex 8 is now working fine here on Windows 10 x64. It had been working on Windows 7 x64 using the "legacy" new unsupported drivers and it's still OK having done the Windows 10 x64 upgrade.
John Reid
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Forum Admin wrote:

I think Win 10 does things slightly different from previous Windows OS in this respect, in that updates and tweaks are ongoing, rather than waiting for big Service Pack updates. Apple's been like that for a while. There are pros and cons.

(BTW, OSX surely has to be the longest 'work in progress' in OS history. 13 years and counting... Win XP was only a year old when OSX was first introduced).
Mixedup
Jedi Poster