You are here

What pointing device do you use with your music software?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: What pointing device do you use with your music software?

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:20 pm

jamesgxyz - no, I won't be discussing alternative pointing devices as MIDI controllers, as I've done this on several occasions in the past already. Ironnically, some poeple buy fancy MIDI controllers thinking they will replace the pointing device, but find otherwise (hence another thread on this subject running on the Music Recording Technology forum recently).

Bob - I've used wireless controllers through two floors of a house (starting and stopping Cubase in my previous attic studio from the ground floor), so I don't think most people will run into problems unless unless they put some thick walls in the way. As for whether or not it's reliable when working blind, I haven't personally tried it, but I'd be inclined to make your existing audio files Read Only just in case, so you can't accidentally do any damage to them until you feel confident that it's not possible to delete anything by accident.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby mikejade » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Logitech mouse Mx 510 with http://www.logigamer.com/ customizing software. It has 8 buttons in all and can be nicely configured for some functions in my Tracktion DAW, (jumpers, markers, cut/paste). Makes workflow much easier.

I use a laptop, so I combine it with USB numpad that is also reconfigured to host some of the DAW functions (play, re-rec, to-start, undo, redo...). I don't use a standard keyboard at all...

:lol:
mikejade

Postby Rollasoc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:38 pm

90% Mouse

10% Wacom tablet

Rollasoc
Rollasoc
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:04 pm

You nearly caught me out there - I was wondering what sort of pointing device the Rollasoc was, and had just done a quick Google when I realised it was your name :beamup:

Sorry! :blush:

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous