You are here

SOS PC Music Users Typical Song Survey

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: SOS PC Music Users Typical Song Survey

Postby DrBob » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:20 pm

Martin Walker wrote:DrBob - it's a shame then that your 20 to 30 tracks are all consuming plugin resources all the time, even if only 15 to 20 tracks are sounding at any time. Samplitude lets you apply plugins to individual parts, so they only consume CPU when that part is actually playing.

Martin

Well it's OK actually, because I disable the hungry plugins via the automation whan they're not used. In this case, even if the CPU usa does not drop to 0 for this plugin, it's still seriously reduced.
And if it's really only a small chunk of audio, I then use off line processing.
DrBob
Poster

dB Studio - recording, mixing, transfer
www.dBStudio-Liege.net

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:04 pm

This has turned into an even more interesting thread than I imagined, largely due to the number of interesting posts from people explaining what they do and why they do it.

Bob- fair point about Sonar crossfaded parts in tracks, but I think we'll still call them a single track for the purposes of this poll, because I was more interested in song structure than absolute counts.

EP Gumby - the beauty of sequencers is that disk load is dependent on the current track count, so if you 'only' had 50 to 75 audio tracks playing at any time you probably could run 350 in total. Your PC would no doubt have bitten the dust though if you'd used software plugins instead of the UAD-1.

DrBob - now that's a clever technique. Temporarily disabling plugins via automation to lower your instantaneous CPU overhead. Now if only Cubase had an option to disable track plugins automatically as soon as the audio output dropped below a user-specified limit, or after a user-specified time.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Simon Millward » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:12 pm

Interesting thread.

I generally record at 24bit/44.1 since much of my material is destined to end up on a standard audio CD (however, I will be seriously trying 24bit/96 for future projects).

My use of plug-ins, soft synths and samplers actually varies wildy, depending upon the nature of each specific project. For example, I have recently being doing a lot of live recording into Cubase SX, where I am recording onto only one or two tracks (no plug-ins). This is achieved using a Mac Powerbook G4. This is in direct contrast to another recent project involving an orchestral arrangement where I have 30 or so MIDI tracks triggering 2 instances of Kontakt 2. This takes place on my music PC (Pentium 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM) in Cubase SX and also includes 7 or 8 EQ plug-ins and the onboard convolution reverb of Kontakt 2. This takes my CPU load to around 50 or 60%.

I think it is fair to say, therefore, that the same user could have radically different plug-in/soft synth counts for each project, and may not stick to the same formula for all their work.

Regardless of the project, I always feel safer having plenty of headroom both for my CPU load and storage performance, so I would tend to push up the power of my computer resources much higher than my real needs.

Regards,
Simon
Simon Millward
Poster

Previous