You are here

Scanning Scan, Audio/Video Workstation befuddlement.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Scanning Scan, Audio/Video Workstation befuddlement.

Postby Guest271017 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Appears that's an ActiveX or flash error. Seems Excel add on/ extension can cause it as well as other things.

I Googled this;

https://www.google.com/search?q=+H80004 ... nu&ie=&oe=
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm

LdashD wrote:OK, I finally admit to not being quite as clever as I thought I was/make out.

We kinda knew that already. :P ;)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,911 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:22 am

LdashD wrote:Hey Pete, new Pc was running fine ‘til I introduced this somehow,

System error & H80004005 (-2147467259)

After that error message has eventually appeared twice & including it, it takes about 3mins, then it seems to work ok.

Any ideas?

I tried that McAfee rootkitremover you recommended last year and that immediately fixed a problem Trojan virus on the Pc I’m replacing, but seems it’s not a virus this time.

Bloody computers.

I’m assuming it’s connected, just noticed that on boot up it adds a 1000 or so exe files to the start-up folder, there’s 17,000 in there at the mo, I need to stop that happening, but how?

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah, Google is saying it's something along the lines of a Visual basic error in one report and lists anti-virus and excel from being affected by it, although being VBA it could be many, many things on the average system.

Are all your windows updates on there? I've seen some of the more critical updates for it cropping up in there before. Otherwise it sounds like part of the install of it that has been applied by some application you have installed has broken and if you can figure out the software affected an update of that (or a reinstall) could well fix it.

Onto the second point, that many files in the startup folder is very odd though as I've never had more than a dozen in there. What are the .exe's called? Are they all different?

It sounds like you may have something else lurking there that shouldn't be (unless these are the leftovers from the malicious code you've already removed) which could be behind your other VBA error too, so probably worth making sure that you've got to the bottom of those .exe's before anything else.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Yeah, pretty sure an install or uninstall caused it, have also restored to before then but to no avail.

The current 19,781 and counting exe files range alphabetically from 0A1B7.exe thru to, FFFFE.exe, all different.

The virus was on the other ‘broken’ Pc not this one.

Since writing this, I went into System Configuration/Startup and there were all the files, I un-ticked them all, re-booted, hey presto, don’t do it anymore.

In Sys Config/Startup only, they appear titled, Project 1, then the file name, ‘Project 1’ was mentioned in a lot in the so-called fixes.

Also, since unticking, in Sys Config/Startup, the Project 1 moniker is missing and it now only states the file name.

Haven’t got stuck-in yet, will report back, but the Cubase project (50 audio tracks) that struggled with an i5 is fine with an i7, but it doesn’t seem to speed up video rendering, will give it some stick soon though.

As you pointed out, the graphics card is noisy, so will upgrade that to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 if viable?

And will also clone OP disk to an SSD, that combination might speed up rendering?

Er, & can you recommend a clone prog?

I take it back, seems I am cleverer than certain people do not give me credit for.

Postby Guest271017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Grab TeraByte's BootIt BareMetal and Disk Image Suite, wipe the disk, and reinstall everything from scratch. Take images along the way, from basic OS install with just system drivers and a full gulp of current OS updates up to a full DAW install. Learn to multi-boot with the software, it's simple once you get your head around it, so you have a guinea pig install to try new software on and see how Windows Updates affects your system.

If you do this, the only time you'll ever have to do a complete reinstall or reactivate any software would be with a major hardware change. You could set up different OS installs, all invisible to each other, for DAW, online transactions, office, etc... that would be a reboot away from an OS set up for specific tasks. Applying a fresh image with everything ready to go is minutes away instead of half a day.

As it stands, your OS is mangled from everything that's transpired. Were it an animal, it'd be put down to prevent suffering. One way or the other, wipe the disk and start over.
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am

LdashD wrote:The current 19,781 and counting exe files range alphabetically from 0A1B7.exe thru to, FFFFE.exe, all different.

>snip<

The virus was on the other ‘broken’ Pc, not this one.

Ok, as much as I don't like making random calls about the possibility of viruses on public forums, that still sounds like a virus to me. Possible it's caught it from the other machine whilst both were connected to the same network?

The only time I've seen self-replicating files in the startup folder it has turned out to be trojans that are trying to install backdoor software. Whilst I'd like to say the "could" be a legit reason for that pile of random .exe's I can't really think of one, other than something is really broken.

This search doesn't fill me with confidence either.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=FFFFE ... gAbE8a3IBg

LdashD wrote:Since writing this, I went into System Configuration/Startup and there were all the files, I un-ticked them all, re-booted, hey presto, don’t do it anymore.

Which is good, but I'd want to be sure the initial source of them was eradicated from the system too.

LdashD wrote:As you pointed out, the graphics card is noisy, so will upgrade that to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 if viable?

The is a passive 1050ti made be "Palit" that I tend to suggest as the is a real lack of truly passive options at that performance point other than that one. Otherwise get a hybrid card with advertised "low load spin down" on it, as they turn the fans off under 60 degrees.

LdashD wrote:And will also clone OP disk to an SSD, that combination might speed up rendering?

Er, & can you recommend a clone prog?

I think I'd agree with mashed about nuking the OS drive from orbit at this point tbh, unless I was absolutely sure it was clean.

I use Ghost for clones, there loads of free ones these days though. Paragon and Clonezilla spring to mind as popular options.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Pretty sure I’ve eliminated it by enabling the files in Sys Config/Startup, they then appear in Admin/…/Startup and can be deleted.

Also pretty sure it was left over from ancient Poser5, 3 CD’s install, on closer inspection the packaging has faded over time, looks like a photocopy or similar so almost definitely fake/copy, even though I’d uninstalled it, there must have been something left. I used rootkitremover last year, as suggested by you and that eliminated a similar prob, possibly from Poser too on the comp I’m replacing, no network connection between the two though, and rootkitremover stated ‘No Trojan Found’ on this machine before I ‘fixed’ it, so not sure if it was a Trojan.

And I have been booting in Selective Mode so that seems to bypass the problem, but since deleting all those .exe files I’m now booting in Normal Mode and, fingers crossed, it appears to be hunky-dory so far.

Thanks for all that Pete, very decent of you sir. With all the other advice, guess I need to up me computer literacy then, anyway, not bad snooping for a computer illiterate met’inks.

Cheers chaps.

Postby Robert2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:21 pm

I know this is unothodox but Home Recording sent me to Pete from Scan to as these questions.
I have a dell optiplex 9010 desktop and would like to know if this adapter will work in my computer.Not too knowledgeable about this.

I was wondering if i hooked up my two ssd drives to the Sata ports (on the pci adapter)would the performance (speed)increase.
I was going to wait for more$$ before buying a M.2. Will a M.2 work if i move or copy my whole /: C drive to it?.

I think i would want two Sata3 ports to increase my speed in my ssd drives from 500 mb to 6gb from what research I've done.
The only fear is that it won't be compatable with my dell optiplex 9010 desktop.
It has on it's motherboard a pcie x16 slot but I've heard where the generation differences matter according to youtube tutorials.
Robert2

Postby Robert2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Robert2 wrote:I know this is unothodox but Home Recording sent me to Pete from Scan to as these questions.
I have a dell optiplex 9010 desktop and would like to know if this adapter will work in my computer.Not too knowledgeable about this.

I was wondering if i hooked up my two ssd drives to the Sata ports (on the pci adapter)would the performance (speed)increase.
I was going to wait for more$$ before buying a M.2. Will a M.2 work if i move or copy my whole /: C drive to it?.

I think i would want two Sata3 ports to increase my speed in my ssd drives from 500 mb to 6gb from what research I've done.
The only fear is that it won't be compatable with my dell optiplex 9010 desktop.
It has on it's motherboard a pcie x16 slot but I've heard where the generation differences matter according to youtube tutorials.
3 in 1 M.2 and mSATA SSD Adapter Card for M.2 NVME to PCIE Adapter,M.2 SATA SSD to SATA III Adapter,mSATA to SATA Adapter (with 2 Aluminum Heatsink) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8L8QMS/re ... 3DbCD42AGF
Robert2

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:36 pm

I'm not Pete but I saw Dave's (ef37a around here) suggestion to post here on the Home Recording forum so welcome to SOS.

I had a quick look at the spec of your machine which uses either a 3rd generation i5/i7 or a second generation i3 with a Q77 Express chipset. I would have thought that you would get maximum speed by connecting to the SATA sockets on the mainboard. The chipset documentation suggests that the highest speed (6Gb/s) is only available on PCH ports 0 and 1 so those are the ports that you need to connect any speed critical devices to. I've no idea how these map to the physical ports in your machine though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:34 am

Robert2 wrote:I know this is unothodox but Home Recording sent me to Pete from Scan to as these questions.

Hi.
:wave:

Robert2 wrote:I have a dell optiplex 9010 desktop and would like to know if this adapter will work in my computer.Not too knowledgeable about this.

If you have a slot, it should work.

There are restrictions to using NVMe drives as boot drives that you can read about here: https://tinkertry.com/how-to-boot-win10 ... uperserver

otherwise, you can use them as storage drives without too much fuss.

Robert2 wrote:I was wondering if i hooked up my two ssd drives to the Sata ports (on the pci adapter)would the performance (speed)increase.

Yes, you can and as James notes, no it won't.

SSD controllers max out at 600MB/s in theory and often about 550MB/s real world.
SATA 3 ports have the same speed ratings.
SATA M.2. drives have the same limit restrictions.
NVMe M.2's are the super-fast ones that can hit 3000MB/s and higher.

To note, the link you sent supports 1X M.2. NVMe drive and 1X M.2. SATA drive, so don't be trying to stick 2 X NVMe drives to it.

Possibly not if you copy it, but it will if you clone it.
Macrium Reflect Free edition is great, simple, fast and (as the name suggests) free.

I think i would want two Sata3 ports to increase my speed in my SSD drives from 500 mb to 6gb from what research I've done.

It's the same thing as the reference (Gbps) is Gigabits/second, not Gigabytes/second (GB/s). 6 Gigabits maximum throughput on paper is 750MB/s, in reality, it's 600MB/s or as already noted slightly less.

The only fear is that it won't be compatible with my dell optiplex 9010 desktop.
It has on its motherboard a PCIe x16 slot but I've heard where the generation differences matter according to youtube tutorials.

See the link I noted further up for restrictions.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous