You are here

Help with latencymon

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Help with latencymon

Postby mozart999uk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Brilliant. Thanks again......
mozart999uk
Regular
Music for Film and TV http://www.matthewmooremusic.co.uk

Postby mozart999uk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 am

Quick update......

Crystal Disk, samsung magician and WDC data lifeguard all test ok.

Windft found a "smart self test" failure on my crucial BX100 (sample drive). I ran the crucial storage executive software on the bx100 which reported ok. It did say there is a firmware update available for the drive.

I found an app running "intel rapid storage technology". In it was an option for link power management which was enabled. I've disabled that but it's not made a difference.

Latency mon is still giving the same driver storport.sys as the culprit.

In other news:

I've tried enabling the page file - no difference

I've run memtest for 5 hours - all ok.

Updated to latest RME driver

I tried disabling my LAN card but that threw up a load of soft e-licenser errors up. I think mainly from waves.....

I was watching event viewer when a spike happened and it seems googleupdate was trying to run at the same time. I've disabled that in services now but no improvement.

around 2 weeks before I noticed the problems, I had updated from Kontakt 5.6 to 5.7........not sure if that might be anything to do with it.

I'm going now to have a look at the side by side and other errors ......

Was wondering about the updated bios and chipset drivers??? One of them is a sata update.....
mozart999uk
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 pm

mozart999uk wrote:
Latency mon is still giving the same driver storport.sys as the culprit.

Shots in the dark here without having hands on the system but:

1) is it possible that for some reason Storport's idle power management is enabled? You can check looking in the registry looking at the EnableIdlePowerManagement in Hardware/StorPort. Any nonzero value enables it.

2) It could be that your miniport is experienceing a large number of errors and bus resets. Storport is better than SCSI when facing errors but still may attempt to perform a full bus reset. You can check in Microsoft/Storport in the event viewer.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby mozart999uk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks CS70.

is it possible that for some reason Storport's idle power management is enabled?

It was. I've changed the value to zero.

You can check in Microsoft/Storport in the event viewer.

I couldn't find this entry in the event viewer. Do you have any tips on where to find it?

I've looked into the volmgr errors in event viewer. "Crash dump initialisation failed" came up- I guess because I don't have a page file active?
mozart999uk
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 pm

mozart999uk wrote:I couldn't find this entry in the event viewer. Do you have any tips on where to find it?

I've looked into the volmgr errors in event viewer. "Crash dump initialisation failed" came up- I guess because I don't have a page file active?

Applications and Service Logs/Windows/Microsoft/StorPort
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby mozart999uk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 am

Unfortunately I don't seem to have an entry for storport . I have lots of folders but the only "s's" are:

security audio configuration, security indentitylistener, Service reporting API and sticky notes.

I've just updated the bios and run latency mon twice now (for 15 minutes each time) and there have been no reported problems other than page faults...

However I'm still getting the occasional spikes / dropouts.....
mozart999uk
Regular

Postby rogersillito » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 pm

About the Waves license issue when your network is off - I had this reply from their support today on the same issue:

”Please note that all Waves licenses are attached to the network adapter on your motherboard. Therefore, the licenses will not be available when disabling the network adapter.

In order to work on an offline computer, please Move the Licenses to a USB key. Whenever the USB key is connected to your computer, you will be able to work with your Waves plugins.”

You can move around the licenses using waves service centre.
rogersillito

Postby mozart999uk » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks. That's really useful to know. I though my waves stuff was all ilok but I need to go to the license centre and find out what's where.

Thanks again
mozart999uk
Regular

Previous