You are here

Audio randomly pitches down on win10??

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Audio randomly pitches down on win10??

Postby Pragmatic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Hello all,

Ever since I built my new system I've had this really odd issue where my sound will randomly pitch down.
I'm using an M-Track Plus and that's plugged into an Asus X-99 A-II motherboard.

As far as I'm aware I have all the latest drivers for both products.

The only way I can fix the problem temporarily is by opening up playback devices > speakers properties > enhancements and toggling the "disable all enhancements" checkbox (if it's on, switch it off and vice versa"). This basically "resets" my audio and the sound returns to the normal pitch.

This is a massive pain and I don't know what to do. Do you think this could be a driver issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Pragmatic
Poster

Re: Audio randomly pitches down on win10??

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Have you switched off all the system sounds?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Pragmatic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 pm

As in the windows error sounds etc?
Pragmatic
Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 pm

I wonder if you are working at 48kHz and the system is suddenly switching to 44.1, or vice versa?
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pragmatic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I wonder if you are working at 48kHz and the system is suddenly switching to 44.1, or vice versa?

That's a good shout. I've switched to 24-bit 44.1 and disabled the option for applications to take direct control of this (it was previously at 48k)
Pragmatic
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Pragmatic wrote:
Sam Inglis wrote:I wonder if you are working at 48kHz and the system is suddenly switching to 44.1, or vice versa?

That's a good shout. I've switched to 24-bit 44.1 and disabled the option for applications to take direct control of this (it was previously at 48k)

Hope that helps for the time being Pragmatic, but I suspect it may cause further problems in the future, since you generally do want applications to take direct control of sample rate, so they can load in different projects originating with differing sample rates :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pragmatic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:49 pm

I think it should be fine, I don't do any work for others from this machine, it's just for personal projects and seeing as I've only just set it up with ableton live that's where all projects will be created so, if I'm understanding this correctly, as long as I set the sample rate to match when creating a new project, there shouldn't be any issues?

Anyway appreciate the help, happy holidays :)
Pragmatic
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 am

Pragmatic wrote:As in the windows error sounds etc?

Yes but I think James probably also means to disable the onboard sound card in Device Manager? Likely called "Realtek" .

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 am

ef37a wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:As in the windows error sounds etc?

Yes but I think James probably also means to disable the onboard sound card in Device Manager? Likely called "Realtek" .

Dave.

I was actually thinking of disabling the windows sounds in the audio interface he's using. It would probably be OK to have them coming from the onboard sound card although safest to disable them completely as it is easy to mess around with settings and find that Windows has changed the destination for the windows sounds which then ruins and important recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page