You are here

Cheap Android Tablet as an extra monitor

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cheap Android Tablet as an extra monitor

Postby woodnut » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello folks,

I am running a windows 7 machine and am looking into getting a cheap tablet as an extra monitor, mainly for keeping the meters visible at all times.

I'm working on a laptop and have very limited physical space so this would be a good option if I can get it working. The laptop screen does get quite clogged up with windows currently.

I see cheap android tablets ( " 7Inch Android Tablet 8GB Quad Core 4.4 Dual Camera Bluetooth Wifi Tablet UK" ) running the android kitkat operating system on ebay for around £30.

I have read a few articles online but I am not up to date with tablets and whether or not there are specific requirements to make this work.

Connection by USB would be better if possible so that I don't need to network the laptop.

It looks like there are a number of paid apps via the google play store that can be used for this task.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance.
woodnut
Regular

Re: Cheap Android Tablet as an extra monitor

Postby BikerDude » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:13 pm

They have apps for doing that.
As far as I can see they require a wifi connection.

https://mashable.com/2012/11/01/tablet- ... sDlr0ZB5qw
BikerDude
Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm

I use an iPad for that when I’m traveling, but even with my pro 2, which is likely more powerful than my Dell laptop, it’s not a great experience. The lag and jerkiness is awful. I can only imagine it would be much worse on a cheap android. Here in the Asheville US area, all the thrift shops sell old flat panels for dirt cheap... I picked up a decent 19” Dell for less than 4 dollars. Even Goodwill sells them for $25, and they all give you a short period of time to return them. And personally I like the old screen size ratio for metering and mixer panels.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Might you be better off simply with a 7 or 10 inch USB screen — the sort of thing you have for in-car DVD/media players? They're not dissimilar in price to cheap tablets and I imagine they'll be a little less laggy...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Bunk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:38 pm

This may or may not be of help but I have used a cheap tablet for pretty basic work purposes (not music related I should add) and it was hopeless (freezing, lag etc.). Doing the same tasks on my iPad worked perfectly well. So we upgraded, not to the full iPad but to a much better tablet and things improved. The phrase "buy cheap, buy more than once" has been mentioned...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 pm

I have a cheap (£60) Asus tablet, running KitKat IIRC which works fine with the Mixing Station X32 app. My oldest iPad is pretty sluggish with the Berry version, X32 Mix. I suppose a bit of latency is inevitable with anything wifi related though, plugged in via USB (if that is possible) may be a different matter.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

Matt Houghton wrote:Might you be better off simply with a 7 or 10 inch USB screen — the sort of thing you have for in-car DVD/media players? They're not dissimilar in price to cheap tablets and I imagine they'll be a little less laggy...

Any links to any of these?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 pm

OneWorld wrote:
Matt Houghton wrote:Might you be better off simply with a 7 or 10 inch USB screen — the sort of thing you have for in-car DVD/media players? They're not dissimilar in price to cheap tablets and I imagine they'll be a little less laggy...

Any links to any of these?

Not any I've used... I just searched eBay to check the range of prices...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor