You are here

Vst instrument choice help

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Vst instrument choice help

Postby mcalldp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 am

Not sure if this is the best part of the form the post this please advise if there is a better area.

I have been recording music for a long time but it has been mainly rock influence music. I have the opportunity to work with someone on a rap based song and need help in choosing some bread-and-butter instruments to start with

I have native instruments complete ultimate and cubase 9, ezpiano and synthobia
mcalldp
Poster

Re: Vst instrument choice help

Postby The Korff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:05 am

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you have NI Komplete Ultimate then you have everything you need for now, I think.
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby Temp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am

Google search for hip-hop instrumentation

Analysis of Dr Dre's orchestration 2000-2009 (very detailed, includes informative tabulated breakdowns)

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby mcalldp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks I will look at that info.

Basically for my music I have get I arguments I use a lot but not what I would use for this kind of music so trying to figure out what items to try to put together to start learning for this style.

I use th e studio drum kit a lot in Kontakt 5 same for bass and strings etc... But maybe for these kinds of beats I should be using battery 4 with some of its kits?

Just not sure what instruments and so I d's to set up as the 'band's to start off wirh.
mcalldp
Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 pm

My bad,

I didn't see your original question.

Battery/Kontact it makes ZERO difference and isn't where your head should be at

LISTEN to your reference track

ISOLATE key sounds YOU feel are important

USE the tools you are familiar with to create the sounds you now have in your head,

Type of software has nothing to do with it

LISTEN, ISOLATE, CREATE
Terrible.dee
New here

Postby mcalldp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm

For my kind of music I use studio drum set in Kontakt but that's not the right sound here. 8t wou is need so.ethibg more like an 808 machine?

I know I need.to find the sound but starting withbthe right instrument is i.pirtant. my studio drums in k9 ntakt get a more realistic sound

I think I need to start w8th something that's more electronic im sound. Maybe that's battery but I never use it so not sure, or ma6be there's some 808 sound in Kontakt 5?

I use 808 as a reference as so.eth8bg very different than studio drums and more suited to this style. There are so many availabe options in NI Komplete (and Cubase)

If I am.goibg t9 put time into learning a new instrument I at least.want to be on the right path.

That's why I'm asking here in what might be best to load up first.

I'm trying to listen to more of this style of music but because it's not my norm I'm just not sure what they are using for the basic style and sound.
mcalldp
Poster

Postby mcalldp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:50 pm

For my kind of music I use studio drum set in Kontakt but that's not the right sound here. 8t wou is need so.ethibg more like an 808 machine?

I know I need.to find the sound but starting withbthe right instrument is i.pirtant. my studio drums in k9 ntakt get a more realistic sound

I think I need to start w8th something that's more electronic im sound. Maybe that's battery but I never use it so not sure, or ma6be there's some 808 sound in Kontakt 5?

I use 808 as a reference as so.eth8bg very different than studio drums and more suited to this style. There are so many availabe options in NI Komplete (and Cubase)

If I am.goibg t9 put time into learning a new instrument I at least.want to be on the right path.

That's why I'm asking here in what might be best to load up first.

I'm trying to listen to more of this style of music but because it's not my norm I'm just not sure what they are using for the basic style and sound.
mcalldp
Poster

Postby mcalldp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm

The reason I think the 8nstruments are important is because, Dr Dre can get his sound with something in NI Komplete Ultimate...it got so many instruments and sounds. But no way he's using the Abbey Roads Studio drums, make sense?

And I'm more familiar with a more relisrtic rick beat so I'm look for direction on what the right tools would be to start with.

I can move put from there to find my sound but where to start...so many options s and I just haven't used most if them before so not sure. It's definitely the wr9ng step to use my usual Abbey road kit though ha ha
mcalldp
Poster

Postby mcalldp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 pm

If you wanted to make a track like this, what instruments would you be loading up? Especially getting those rapid fire high-hat beats etc...

https://youtu.be/tqLw38UhY4s
mcalldp
Poster

Postby Temp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 am

I had a listen to that track and there's really nothing special about it. The kick, hats and claps are all very generic, with what sounds like a fair bit of top-end processing. Pretty much any 'dance' drums would work here - 808, FruityLoops, sIngle hit samples etc.

What have you tried already? You're not going to get a feel for what works until you start experimenting and putting beats together yourself. A lot of hip-hop beats are heavily processed to get them sounding as fat as possible, at which point it's nigh on impossible to tell what samples/instruments/plugins have been used.

There's no magic bullet - this is something you need to work through yourself. Stop chasing around after these imaginary perfect sounds and just dive in :thumbup:

Cheers.
Temp
Regular