You are here

Any compatibility issues using Ryzen as a DAW?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Any compatibility issues using Ryzen as a DAW?

Postby Agharta » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Are there any software or hardware compatibility issues using Ryzen with Windows 10 as a DAW?
I'm nervous about not using Intel but their mainstream platforms are a dead end plus Ryzen makes sense for video editing.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Any compatibility issues using Ryzen as a DAW?

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 am

No Thunderbolt (if that's of any concern) and USB based interfaces can sometimes be picky with them, depending on who supplies the USB controller solution on the Motherboard.

Check the support boards for anything related to the above, other than that pretty straightforward.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks Pete. I still find myself feeling wary and who knows what USB devices I will be using in the future which doesn't help.

Looked at the Gigabyte X299 AORUS ULTRA Gaming which is on offer at Scan and none of the rear panel ports seem to be from the Intel chipset which is a surprise.
Obviously they need the 3rd party chipset for gen 2 but they could have used Intel for the gen 1 ports. They have assigned them to the headers instead. Hmm!
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jaminem » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Agharta wrote:Intel: their mainstream platforms are a dead end

Hi, just wondering what you mean by this?
Genuine question. I had the same choice as the Ryzen's offer much better value on the surface, ended up going with Intel, but didn't get to a point where the above came into my considerations?
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 pm

jaminem wrote:

Genuine question. I had the same choice as the Ryzen's offer much better value on the surface, ended up going with Intel, but didn't get to a point where the above came into my considerations?

The Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake platforms aren't going to support the future generations of CPUs.
Intel are supposedly releasing yet another new platform this year. which is not backwardly compatible and will give 8 cores for the Intel mainstream for the first time.
Whereas the Ryzen platform is due at least 2 compatible updates including a large one due next year.
Intel's LGA2066 platform will get an update but seemingly stuck at 14nm so unlikely to be that major.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jaminem » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Agharta wrote:
jaminem wrote:

The Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake platforms aren't going to support the future generations of CPUs.
Intel are supposedly releasing yet another new platform this year. which is not backwardly compatible and will give 8 cores for the Intel mainstream for the first time.
Whereas the Ryzen platform is due at least 2 compatible updates including a large one due next year.
Intel's LGA2066 platform will get an update but seemingly stuck at 14nm so unlikely to be that major.

Ah I see, so a total non issue for people like me, who hold onto their systems for longer, and therefore just upgrade the whole thing in one go 5-6 years down the line

Thanks!
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 pm

jaminem wrote:Ah I see, so a total non issue for people like me, who hold onto their systems for longer, and therefore just upgrade the whole thing in one go 5-6 years down the line.

The appeal to me of a platform that scales beyond 6 cores is that if my video work takes up more of my time and gets more demanding of resources I can upgrade the CPU rather than as you say upgrade the whole thing be that in 2 years or 5+ years. :thumbup:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jaminem » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 am

Agharta wrote:
jaminem wrote:Ah I see, so a total non issue for people like me, who hold onto their systems for longer, and therefore just upgrade the whole thing in one go 5-6 years down the line.

The appeal to me of a platform that scales beyond 6 cores is that if my video work takes up more of my time and gets more demanding of resources I can upgrade the CPU rather than as you say upgrade the whole thing be that in 2 years or 5+ years. :thumbup:

Makes sense, I learned something there. Thought I had researched it pretty well, but you had me worried for a minute :smirk:
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 am

Btw I did read about some potential issues being reported between Ryzen and UAD stuff if you're a user. Think it was over on the UAD forums...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Johnsy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Don't forget you can always add a different USB controller via a PCIe card.

Modern boards offer a vast amount of system bus expansion potential - might as well actually use some of it.

After all, this is one of the advantages of using a "real" PC.
Johnsy
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm

jaminem wrote:Btw I did read about some potential issues being reported between Ryzen and UAD stuff if you're a user. Think it was over on the UAD forums...

Thanks.

Johnsy wrote:Don't forget you can always add a different USB controller via a PCIe card.

Yes, but the primary issue is that some things are only tested on Intel controllers and I doubt you can buy an Intel controller as a stand alone card?
At least you can try other controllers and with the LGA2066 board I mentioned you can access the Intel USB controller via a controller-less USB back-plane. Still surprised none of them are available from the rear port cluster.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Agharta wrote:Looked at the Gigabyte X299 AORUS ULTRA Gaming which is on offer at Scan and none of the rear panel ports seems to be from the Intel chipset which is a surprise.
Obviously, they need the 3rd party chipset for gen 2 but they could have used Intel for the gen 1 ports. They have assigned them to the headers instead. Hmm!

Looking at the manual, it looks to be the case indeed. I'm as surprised as you are, and I'm not generally a fan of using the ASmedia controllers for audio devices as they can be a bit awkward. First time I've seen a Realtek USB controller on a board in a long time too!

jaminem wrote:Btw I did read about some potential issues being reported between Ryzen and UAD stuff if you're a user. Think it was over on the UAD forums...

I heard similar.

Johnsy wrote:Don't forget you can always add a different USB controller via a PCIe card.

Yes, but the primary issue is that some things are only tested on Intel controllers and I doubt you can buy an Intel controller as a stand-alone card?

Aye, afraid not.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio