You are here

Multitimbral 64bit VST Instruments with ProgChange

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Multitimbral 64bit VST Instruments with ProgChange

Postby forumuser825317 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Hello, Can anyone please suggest a multitimbral (16Channel) 64bit VST Instrument that accepts ProgChange.

I really resent the fact that Cubase has forced me to upgrade to 9.5 and now the bastards don't support any of my 32it VSTi's. And Halion sucks because it doesn't accept ProgChange.

Specifically, if anyone can suggest something like a 64 bit replacement for Roland HyperCanvas I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers.
forumuser825317
New here

Re: Multitimbral 64bit VST Instruments with ProgChange

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Hmmmm.....I see this problem coming my way before too long and in anticipation of it I bought jBridge (allows 32bit in a 64bit environment) but in the end went back down the Hardware Road. I found jBridge not to be quite as intuitive as I'd expected though many say it is a lifesaver.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:27 am

This is one of various reasons why I switched to Reaper for my DAW - it allows me to run 64-bit VST plug-ins and VSTi's, 32-bit VST plug-ins and VSTi's, and even a few ancient DirectX plug-ins 8-)

Any 32-bit to 64-bit bridging is all done internally by Reaper itself, which has yet to let me down.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby forumuser825317 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks One World and Martin Walker,

Yes, I think I may be migrating to Reaper because of this.
(Hope the Steniberg guys are reading this :-) )

Cheers and thanks for your reply.
forumuser825317
New here

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 am

forumuser825317 wrote:Yes, I think I may be migrating to Reaper because of this.
(Hope the Steniberg guys are reading this :-) )

Steinberg have rarely followed industry standards. When Microsoft brought out Direct X effects Steinberg created their own VST standard. The same goes for ASIO and Direct X drivers. Their attempts to use industry standards have always been half hearted and buggy so don't expect them to change now. I bought Cubase for the PC many years ago and, at that time, it turned out to be very unreliable and a total waste of money.

It is interesting that Reaper can handle all these different standards in a far more reliable way.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page