You are here

Softube or what?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Softube or what?

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 pm

I use UAD pluguins and some native Cubase ones but cannot stand using the mouse especially for some of the more fiddly controls.

I have a Mackie MCU Pro which handles the main top level stuff great. But I want to be able to adjust controls within a VST and got an old controller out from under the desk and mapped all the controls, all well and good.

However, for example, I have one of the UAD reverbs on track 1 in Cubase and all the controls can be changed using the hardware controller - great!

But when I added another instance of the UAD reverb to track 2, the controller stopped working, or more to the point only worked on track 1.

So I thought well, I will try the same except with one of the reverbs that comes with Cubase, so did the mapping, and on track 1, yes it worked.

Then I opened another instance of the reverb on track 2, and nothing worked.

Do I have to do a new mapping for each instance of an effect? for each track. That would mean, say I have 8 controls, well for effects on each of 4 tracks I would of course need 32 controls on the hardware controller?

Would the Softube Console overcome this problem?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Softube or what?

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Cubase's MCU handling doesn't let you access the parameters on particular plugins?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm

desmond wrote:Cubase's MCU handling doesn't let you access the parameters on particular plugins?

If it does I don't know how. There are 8 user defined function buttons but I already have those mapped to top level controls Gain, Silence, Biounce, Duplicate etc

Yes I most likely could set the MCU up to control to say map a control with UAD reverb. But the issue is, it will only control the VST on that track, if I open a second instance of the same VST on a second track - it won't work
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm

I don't know about Cubase, but in Logic, you can access any plugin, instrument or effect, on any track, no mapping needed.

What protocol are you using it with in Cubase? As an MCU? Or something like like Protools/HUI mode?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

desmond wrote:I don't know about Cubase, but in Logic, you can access any plugin, instrument or effect, on any track, no mapping needed.

What protocol are you using it with in Cubase? As an MCU? Or something like like Protools/HUI mode?

generic

Please understand, with the MCU, there is no problem, but asm not using the MCU for controlling plugins, I am using for mixing, transport, eq etc

What I want to do is use this spare controller (M-Audio) exclusively to control oplugins, the MCU is working fine
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes, I get that, I was just wondering why you were struggling with manual mapping to control plugins when the MCU is already designed for this, and requires no mapping work at all.

If you don't care about using the MCU for this and want to persevere with manual mapping, then you'll need a Cubase guy to help, which I am definitely not.. :beamup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:02 pm

desmond wrote:Yes, I get that, I was just wondering why you were struggling with manual mapping to control plugins when the MCU is already designed for this, and requires no mapping work at all.

If you don't care about using the MCU for this and want to persevere with manual mapping, then you'll need a Cubase guy to help, which I am definitely not.. :beamup:

Sorry I don't understand - how could an MCU be mapped to control say room size in the Cubase Revealation or UAD RealVerb Pro Room Shape or the VST Low EQ Gain knob, it would need about a 1000 knobs, as the actress said to the bishop :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm

desmond wrote:Yes, I get that, I was just wondering why you were struggling with manual mapping to control plugins when the MCU is already designed for this, and requires no mapping work at all.

Sorry, I got you know, I just pressed the PlugIn button on the MCU and the UAD Reverb comes up, albeit it over 6 pages but I guess I can live with that, but from what I have seen on the Softube Console, everything can be controlled (on each plugin) from the console itself and no paging?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 am

OneWorld wrote:Sorry I don't understand - how could an MCU be mapped to control say room size in the Cubase Revealation or UAD RealVerb Pro Room Shape or the VST Low EQ Gain knob, it would need about a 1000 knobs, as the actress said to the bishop :-)

Whatever parameters a plugin has get distributed as page of parameters assigned to the soft knob (8 at a time, or bigger if you have more than 1 MCU). Plus the MCU controller extender has four sets of displays and controls for even more.

And you can control which plugin you are accessing on each channel by paging up and down through the plugin slots.

OneWorld wrote:Sorry, I got you know, I just pressed the PlugIn button on the MCU and the UAD Reverb comes up, albeit it over 6 pages but I guess I can live with that, but from what I have seen on the Softube Console, everything can be controlled (on each plugin) from the console itself and no paging?

The Softube Console, as I understand, controls it's own dedicated plugins, and the whole thing has been designed to be accessible. It has limited support for some blessed third-party plugins, like some UAD ones, and it won't control any other plugins, and no instruments. It's not designed as a generic control surface, but as a dedicated way of controlling channel strip plugin parameter in a nice way - so if that's what you want to do, it looks like a good product.

But if you want to control any other plugins, you're back to do it via the MCU, or pfaffing around with manual mapping (unless there are any other options in Cubase.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 am

Perhaps a Novation Nocturn would do what you want?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby OneWorld » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks, I think I'll stick with the MCU and look out for one of those MCU Control Expanders (the one without the faders)

I did have in the past a BCR2000 but couldn't find any Mackie Control templates
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

You can set a BCR2000 up to control just about anything on cubase, there's an example here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... rip-cubase
Don't know if that would help?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby OneWorld » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

blinddrew wrote:You can set a BCR2000 up to control just about anything on cubase, there's an example here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... rip-cubase
Don't know if that would help?

Thanks, well yes it will help - sort of. This is what I have been doing anyway. But if I set it up on say track 1, I map all the controls and it works, great. But, when I go to track 2, nothing works, it seems I can only get it to work on any one track.

Now when I use my MCU, it works, as one would expect, on any chosen track. Now as mentioned earlier, the MCU does pick up all the controls, on my UAD plug-ins, but I have to slide across several pages to get from one control control to another. And what I am looking for is something like the channel strip shown in the article you have given the link to. So I sort of feel instinctively there must be some way of setting a control surface up such that it consistently controls plugins, across all tracks and so I reckon I need read that article carefully and have another go.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 am

Console one changed my work flow and I ain't never goin back. Sure I'm limited to the plug in available, but the are all real, usable and frankly worth more than I could ever afford in hardware so, I ain't gonna whinge.

I also use an MCU pro and a BCR2000 (now in storage) but the Console 1, again, makes it easy to reach for a knob. At first I got fancy and loaded in different stuff on different tracks but since I really like the stock SSL emulation, I just leave that in place unless I need a particular sound. You can easily set up templates. I find I naturally reach for the right knob now, which is huge relief as I don't like mousing much.

I also have UAD DSP in an Apollo 8 and 2 satellites, all quad core so for my modest means, if I feel like emulating processors from UAD, I can load the puppy up and track with phat tones all night long.

Makes me happy everytime I use it.

*update*
And, yes, with Console1, you can select the track from the device, load in any owned, compatible plugin from either UAD or Softube and the device will control that signal chain on that track. If you DAW supports it, you can drag that from track to track and reconfigure individually, at will. When you select a track, that is active in both the DAW and the device at the same time and the knobs are arranged by gate, EQ and compressor with a couple of doo dads thrown in like "drive". You have input and output level control. Some of the mappings are a bit unintuitive, but there's a page display on screen to help you navigate too.

seriously, my favorite desk top appliance by a mile. LOVE it
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:01 pm

OneWorld wrote:so I reckon I need read that article carefully and have another go.
As I understand it, it should be possible by following that article in detail. I just used it as a template when I set mine up for Reaper, but Reaper doesn't do midi feedback so for it to work effectively for me I have each of my first 32 channels set up as a different preset on the BCR, so the BCR remembers what midi forgets. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...