You are here

Recording External FX Automation in Cubase?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Recording External FX Automation in Cubase?

Postby Will_m » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi all, just wondering what the best way to record external effects in Cubase is with automation?

My setup is basically an external effect in Cubase 9 routed out to some guitar pedals then routed back to an effects track which I'm sending a few audio tracks to via the fx sends. I'm then manipulating the guitar pedals as the track plays.

This is my first try with external hardware effects so I'm not sure how I can then record that performance with the pedals?
Will_m
Regular
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Recording External FX Automation in Cubase?

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:09 pm

The short answer is that you can't - or very probably can't, unless the guitar pedals you are using each have at the least a MIDI output, or MIDI over USB.

To record automation Cubase needs to know what knob you're twiddling, and what setting you've twiddled it to. Without MIDI it can never know.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 pm

If I've understood you correctly (you just want to record your performance of the FX pedals, rather than automate them from Cubase), then there are a couple of ways to do what you want...

First, it's possible to set an audio track to record the output of a Group track. Just go to the audio track and select the Group as its input. Then record-arm the track and play away. So you'll have either to route your FX track to the Group track, or simply use a Group track instead of an FX track (I can't see that an FX track offers anything that a Group doesn't!).

Second use File/Export/Audio Mixdown. Tick the Channel Batch Export option. Then make sure only the track you want to record is selected. Then tick Real Time Export in the Audio Engine Output section on the right (it may do this automatically when you use External FX plug-ins, as defined in the VST Connections window). Then set this window to import into your project.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Yep, you're right Matt - that could be what he means. I'm taking the word 'automation' literally in my response.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Will_m » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Much appreciated guys. Yes sorry I meant just to record the audio of my performance from the pedals.

I'll give Matt's suggestions a go and let you know how I get on. :thumbup:
Will_m
Regular
williammorrismusic.com

Postby Will_m » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm

So I tried routing the channel to a group and then adding a new record track with the input set to that group track but the group doesn't appear in the input options. Oddly all my other group tracks do.

I had more luck with the channel batch export, although I exported the output of the FX channel which I guess is 100% wet, then blended this back with the original.
Will_m
Regular
williammorrismusic.com

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Will_m wrote:So I tried routing the channel to a group and then adding a new record track with the input set to that group track but the group doesn't appear in the input options. Oddly all my other group tracks do.

Cubase has been known to be a bit 'choosy' with its Group track routing. It's driven me insane on occasion! Usually, creating a new Group and routing to that will solve the issue.

Will_m wrote:I had more luck with the channel batch export, although I exported the output of the FX channel which I guess is 100% wet, then blended this back with the original.

Isn't that what you wanted? You can always bounce the whole mix instead in the same way, and just print your whole performance...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Will_m » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
Will_m wrote:So I tried routing the channel to a group and then adding a new record track with the input set to that group track but the group doesn't appear in the input options. Oddly all my other group tracks do.

Cubase has been known to be a bit 'choosy' with its Group track routing. It's driven me insane on occasion! Usually, creating a new Group and routing to that will solve the issue.

Will_m wrote:I had more luck with the channel batch export, although I exported the output of the FX channel which I guess is 100% wet, then blended this back with the original.

Isn't that what you wanted? You can always bounce the whole mix instead in the same way, and just print your whole performance...

Thanks Matt, good to know about the group channel routing. I'm really happy with the channel batch export method and having just the wet signal to blend gives me more flexibility later on.
Will_m
Regular
williammorrismusic.com

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah, I think that's how I'd do it... it enables you to do multiple passes using the same FX on different sources, which bouncing the whole mix 'live' doesn't.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor