You are here

Cakewalk By Bandlab - Windows defender warnings

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cakewalk By Bandlab - Windows defender warnings

Postby BobTheDog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:40 am

Hi Guys,

So I thought I would install Sonar or as it is now called "Cakewalk by bandlab".

The first thing they require me to install is "band lab Assistant" which is immediately flagged by "windows Defender SmartScreen" as being bad.

Has anyone else tried to install this?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Re: Cakewalk By Bandlab - Windows defender warnings

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:03 am

ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:13 am

Is there a direct download anywhere without having to use one of these idiotic 'download assistants'?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:47 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Hi Guys,

So I thought I would install Sonar or as it is now called "Cakewalk by bandlab".

The first thing they require me to install is "band lab Assistant" which is immediately flagged by "windows Defender SmartScreen" as being bad.

Has anyone else tried to install this?

No stress. The only thing it does is that it starts when the machine starts (which is annoying) and it doesn't seem to have an option to deactivate that behavior, which is even more annoying. At least I didn't find one.

However, once you have installed Sonar, you simply edit it away from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry and you're all set.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby BobTheDog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks guys, maybe I will install it. As far as I know though Windows defender doesn’t complain if you sign your applications, which any company should do.

Has this changed recently to complaining about exes that are not registered with Microsoft?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby narcoszzz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 pm

How is the quite expensive DAW became completely free? If that's what they meant. Free sounds like some "cheese"???
The Elf wrote:Is there a direct download anywhere without having to use one of these idiotic 'download assistants'?
I want to know if there's one, too.
narcoszzz

Postby OneWorld » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 pm

The Elf wrote:Is there a direct download anywhere without having to use one of these idiotic 'download assistants'?

That would be nice. I cannot understand why these companies insist on the inclusion of these 'assistants', except to gather info on the user, which no one wants, as FarceBook is finding to its cost.

Even if software is free, I will donate, everyone should be rewarded for their endeavours, but I do not want my machine hijacked and festooned with flotsom and jetsom, that serves no apparent useful purpose whatsoever.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Reid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 pm

I was about to install it until I read the Terms & Conditions. Just sayin' ....
John Reid
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

OneWorld wrote:I cannot understand why these companies insist on the inclusion of these 'assistants', except to gather info on the user, which no one wants, as FarceBook is finding to its cost.

Without being too paranoid, I think the main reason companies offering large applications do something like this is because they get so many headaches with people not finding download links on their website, downloading the wrong version, or having downloads be corrupted or terminated by whatever download system the user is trying to use, that the option of "Just run this, and it will take care of all that stuff for you, it will download the correct version for you, download it correctly, and install it" seems a good option for both the customer and developer.

It doesn't always work out that way, but I think that's usually the main reason for doing it.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 pm

John Reid wrote:I was about to install it until I read the Terms & Conditions. Just sayin' ....

Why, is it any different from the T&C's of any other software application?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby John Reid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm

desmond wrote:
John Reid wrote:I was about to install it until I read the Terms & Conditions. Just sayin' ....
Why, is it any different from the T&C's of any other software application?
Well paragraph 1.3 for a start; basically, you would be agreeing to be bound by terms which one party can change at will without notifying you. I see more and more of this type of thing, and it's not in the typical software EULAs I've agreed to, which are still as they were at the time I bought the right to use the software. Read any real legal contract you might have and look for a clause that actually stipulates that the contract cannot be changed without written agreement of both parties.

I think this is particularly worrying with products that require internet activation to "stay alive". You may have already seen this with Skype, Paypal and others, including Microsoft accounts, where terms and conditions are unilaterally changed and your only option if you do not agree is to stop using the service.

I'm just raising the issue that creatives need to be extremely careful about the ramifications of agreeing to such T&Cs. Let's not even start about paragraph 3.2 ..... :shock:
John Reid
Regular

Postby Agharta » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 am

John Reid wrote:I see more and more of this type of thing, and it's not in the typical software EULAs I've agreed to, which are still as they were at the time I bought the right to use the software. Read any real legal contract you might have and look for a clause that actually stipulates that the contract cannot be changed without written agreement of both parties.

This is free software so maybe companies are allowed to use relatively draconian terms when offering you the opportunity to use something when there is no financial transaction.
I wonder whether they need to cover themselves in case they decide to do something different with it down the line?
For end users there is the concern that you are investing time into a system which has unknown future terms which at the very least is mildly alarming.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Reid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 pm

In an interesting study a few years back, it was found that most people, having not read the terms and conditions of a fictitious social network, readily agreed to terms which included giving up their first-born child in order to get access.
John Reid
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 pm

I know a few people who'd reckon that would be a good deal ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby zenguitar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 am

blinddrew wrote:I know a few people who'd reckon that would be a good deal ;)
Speaking as a first born child, I hope you don't know my mum!!

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 am

There are a whole range of possible jokes from here, but as this is a polite and decent forum i shall refrain... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...