You are here

Simple VST Sampler needed

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Simple VST Sampler needed

Postby tc99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Hello

I am using Sonar X1 (quite old) on Windows 10 64 bit.
I need a very simple sampler to do the following.
Load up individual sounds and map to individual keys on, so that i can play them off my keyboard.
I need it to play the sample as long as i hold the key down (i.e not play the sample right to the end of the sample, even if i take my finger off the key before the end of the sample . .which is what the one in Sonar does).
I need it to be velocity sensitive.

That's it i think, free is good, but don't mind paying a reasonable amount
tc99
Regular

Re: Simple VST Sampler needed

Postby zenguitar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:23 pm

The emulation of the Yamaha TX16 might do what you need. There is a well featured free version and the pro version isn't expensive. I have the free version installed but haven't used it yet. Here's a link.

https://www.tx16wx.com/

Certainly worth a look.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby The Korff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 am

tc99 wrote:I need it to play the sample as long as i hold the key down (i.e not play the sample right to the end of the sample, even if i take my finger off the key before the end of the sample . .which is what the one in Sonar does).

Which sampler are you using? That's very basic sampler behaviour that can be changed in almost any sampler. It sounds like it's currently set to 'one shot' mode, where it ignores MIDI 'note off' messages — this is what people tend to use for drums, so that it plays each hit in its entirety (you can imagine why; it would sound odd if the decay of a snare drum stopped abruptly when you let go of a note... although that can sometimes be fun).

Is there a 'playback mode' option somewhere? See if you can find a setting called 'one shot' and change it to 'play until release' or somesuch.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:45 am

First... what Korff said! Ie. if you have a sampler in Sonar already it's probably just a matter of playing with the settings, or reading the manual!

Failing that... I usually use Kontakt or Cubase's built in sampler, or the built-in one in Reaper. For Kontakt, you'll have to pay for the full version, rather than the free player.

I found the TX16 a little fiddly, but it will do the job and you can't argue with the price!

There are other less obvious freebies too. Eg Linux Sampler, despite the name, is available for Linux, MacOS and Windows. The page looks a little daunting, but there are regular installer downloads if you scroll down. It's ages since I tried it, and it's been updated since then.

A quick search on the KVR database suggests that Magix Independence Free (formerly by Yellow Tools) should also do what you want; it's cross-platform, 32/64 bit, and it looks a little slicker/more modern to me than the Yamaha emulation. I've not used it though, so can't vouch for it personally.

...and there are quite a few more free/low-cost apps in the database that probably do as much as you need.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:First... what Korff said! Ie. if you have a sampler in Sonar already it's probably just a matter of playing with the settings, or reading the manual!

Failing that... I usually use Kontakt or Cubase's built in sampler, or the built-in one in Reaper. For Kontakt, you'll have to pay for the full version, rather than the free player.

I found the TX16 a little fiddly, but it will do the job and you can't argue with the price!

There are other less obvious freebies too. Eg Linux Sampler, despite the name, is available for Linux, MacOS and Windows. The page looks a little daunting, but there are regular installer downloads if you scroll down. It's ages since I tried it, and it's been updated since then.

A quick search on the KVR database suggests that Magix Independence Free (formerly by Yellow Tools) should also do what you want; it's cross-platform, 32/64 bit, and it looks a little slicker/more modern to me than the Yamaha emulation. I've not used it though, so can't vouch for it personally.

...and there are quite a few more free/low-cost apps in the database that probably do as much as you need.

I too found the TX16 a bit fiddly but worth persevering with, it was especially useful for me as it can import Akai programs.

I used to use the Yellow Tools Independence, but I didn't like the idea of having to make copies of my wavs and paste them into the Independence Audio folder of Independence, and when Magix took it over, seemed a bit more restrictive in so much needed authorising etc, I could be wrong there but there was something I found more restrictive. I used to use it a lot before then, one of the best, if not the best Spanish guitar emulations I have come across.

There was a mention above, from another poster of the 'free sampler' in Cubase, can't think what that is, apart from Halion Sonic which as far as I know cannot import samples.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby tc99 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm

thanks all

yes Korff, you were right should have looked properly, it's automatically in "one shot" mode, and you can turn it off to play sample same length of time you depress your finger. So nearly there with it, but unfortunately definitely not velocity sensitive.

I had a look at KVR last night after i made the post, and saw most of the software that everyone has gone on to mention. I might try the TX16 a go first.

One World - what is this authorization thing you mention?

I remember i did use Halion sampler years ago, which was fine, i wonder if i could pick it up on ebay.
tc99
Regular

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:21 pm

OneWorld wrote:There was a mention above, from another poster of the 'free sampler' in Cubase, can't think what that is, apart from Halion Sonic which as far as I know cannot import samples.

There are several options in Cubase. For instance, in v9 and 9.5 there's the Sampler Track. There's also Groove Agent SE, which looks like a drum machine but can be used as a sampler. The bundled versions of HALion, though are for playback only. Not that any of this really helps the OP who is using Sonar...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby OneWorld » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm

tc99 wrote:thanks all

yes Korff, you were right should have looked properly, it's automatically in "one shot" mode, and you can turn it off to play sample same length of time you depress your finger. So nearly there with it, but unfortunately definitely not velocity sensitive.

I had a look at KVR last night after i made the post, and saw most of the software that everyone has gone on to mention. I might try the TX16 a go first.

One World - what is this authorization thing you mention?

I remember i did use Halion sampler years ago, which was fine, i wonder if i could pick it up on ebay.

I like the TX16, basically because it is the best of a small bunch. There again I looked specifically for a soft sampler that would import Akai .akp multis. As far as I can remember I think you can have several velocity layers, but it is quite fiddly, not intuitive.

The authorization, if again my memory serves me right, the earlier free version of Independence could just be put on any computer. And then when I found Magix had bought the company I thought I would use that opportunity to update. I had in the meantime bought Kontakt 5 but would have liked to continue to use Independence because some tunes were setup with Independence instruments. Then I went to install and it asked for registration and on authorising the copy would be locked to whichever machine it was installed on. I decided at that point I'd try and familiarise myself more with Kontakt 5, as it happens I ended up with Halion 5.

Yes you can buy older version of Halion on eBay, watch out for 'cracks' though, with any Steinberg product you also have to register but it gives access to updates and such.

Much to my surprise, I had a clear out the other week and I had a copy of Hypersonic 2, which I thought I would put on eBay and priced it relatively high, as I was including the dongle of course, and I sold it within a few days!

It has to be remembered with Halion products, Halion Sonic does not allow you to sample, well in fact Halion Sonic is a ROMpler
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby tc99 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 pm

thankyou OneWorld . . it does all sound a bit confusing. So for the time being i am going to give the Grace sampler a go . . . https://www.onesmallclue.com/. It seems relatively free of things i don't need, but maybe just enough other stuff to try, without getting swamped

i did have a look for Halion on ebay, but there was very little apart from bundle packs.
tc99
Regular

Postby The Korff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 am

I suspect that the sampler you were using originally (you didn't say what it was; Sonar's Dropzone, by any chance?) is perfectly capable of responding to velocity... but again that might be something you have to set yourself. There should be an option to modulate the amplitude by the velocity. Assuming you're using Dropzone, you'll see a cluster of five knobs under the Amp section near the bottom-right of the window; among them is a knob marked 'Velo'. Try turning that all the up and see if it then behaves as you want it to...
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby tc99 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Korff - The one in my version of Sonar (which is old - X1) is Cyclone. It does have some dealings with Velocity that you can set, but this is to do with whether the sample is actually triggered or not ie, set the minuimum velocity at which the sample will trigger. But this has no effect on the actual volume of the sample, which is what i am after.

There is another soft synth in this Sonar called VSampler 3, but when i try to load it states "Failed To Load Soft Synth". Might be worth reinstalling this, or maybe looking for a version with Dropzone that you have mentioned.
tc99
Regular

Postby craigtumps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 am

Hey man, give Egoist a try. You can drag a sample in, assign the different cuts to keys and away you go. Or you can setup the slices in patterns.

https://sugar-bytes.de/egoist
craigtumps
Poster

Postby tc99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi Craig

thanks . . looks interesting. But i am going to give the TX a go first and see how i get on
tc99
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:28 pm

tc99 wrote:thankyou OneWorld . . it does all sound a bit confusing. So for the time being i am going to give the Grace sampler a go . . . https://www.onesmallclue.com/. It seems relatively free of things i don't need, but maybe just enough other stuff to try, without getting swamped

i did have a look for Halion on ebay, but there was very little apart from bundle packs.

Grace looks good, but is it multi-timbral?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby tc99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm

OneWorld. I did not get that far with Grace, as there seems absolutely no way to just do Note On option ,ie the samples only play as One Shot or continuous loop. Emailed the developer and waiting for a reply. He does a 16 "pads" programme which looks similar, does have Note On, and think it is multitimbaral, would have used that but i want a keyboard of samples, so 16 not enough

I tried the TX, and had it doing what i needed within 15 minutes, so thanks all for help.
tc99
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 pm

tc99 wrote:OneWorld. I did not get that far with Grace, as there seems absolutely no way to just do Note On option ,ie the samples only play as One Shot or continuous loop. Emailed the developer and waiting for a reply. He does a 16 "pads" programme which looks similar, does have Note On, and think it is multitimbaral, would have used that but i want a keyboard of samples, so 16 not enough

I tried the TX, and had it doing what i needed within 15 minutes, so thanks all for help.

Yes I had exactly the same issue, and I worked it out in no time at all. I also have Kontakt 5, and Halion 5, why would I need something like the TX? I can make a drum kit in no time at all, and it successfully imports Akai .akp files. It would be nice if the GUI could be re-sized. There are a few people doing skins for it but I sort of get the feeling the development has come to the end of the line - well loop in this case.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)