You are here

200 GB User Profile on 500 GB disk (Window 7)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

200 GB User Profile on 500 GB disk (Window 7)

Postby rasputin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only person still using Windows 7. I have 10 on my "other" computer and am dreading rebuilding my entire production software environment which I know I'll have to do someday.

My Win 7 system seems to be slowing down; slower to log on; Live 9.7 taking 6 minutes to start, etc. It is 64 bit version, 4GB RAM; and has all current MS updates. Have run the disk cleanup utility.

Looking at Advanced System Settings > User Profile dialog, I see that my main logon profile is 199 GB. The HD it's only is 500 GB so that just can't seem to be a good thing. Other profiles on that system may be as bit as 10 GB but 199 GB seems way out of line.

I've done a lot of web searching but haven't found any simple strategy to remediate this. I am perfectly happy to create a new user account although I've noticed that that will take some application and plugin license reauthorizing.

Does anyone have any experience with this, pointers to solutions, etc.?
rasputin
Poster

Re: 200 GB User Profile on 500 GB disk (Window 7)

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Are all applications slow to load or is it just Live? Does the startup screen tell you what it is trying to do when it is taking all that time? How many plug-ins do you have (and do you actually need them all)?

There are a couple of things I'd look at... 4GB is considered marginal for a 64 bit system so it may be better to upgrade to 8 or 16GB. I'd also look for rogue plug-ins or plug-ins that need to load a large amount of data when they start up.

If Live doesn't tell you what it is doing while it is starting then it would be worth downloading a copy of Reaper which tells you exactly what it is doing when it starts and makes it easy to see if any plug-ins are taking ages to load.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Agharta » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:45 pm

I'd use a program like TreeSize Free to see what your profile contains.
If you store files in the default Docs, Pictures, Music, Download etc folders they are all in the profile for that user so there's nothing wrong with that per se.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm

rasputin wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only person still using Windows 7. I have 10 on my "other" computer and am dreading rebuilding my entire production software environment which I know I'll have to do someday.

My Win 7 system seems to be slowing down; slower to log on; Live 9.7 taking 6 minutes to start, etc. It is 64 bit version, 4GB RAM; and has all current MS updates. Have run the disk cleanup utility.

Looking at Advanced System Settings > User Profile dialog, I see that my main logon profile is 199 GB. The HD it's only is 500 GB so that just can't seem to be a good thing. Other profiles on that system may be as bit as 10 GB but 199 GB seems way out of line.

I've done a lot of web searching but haven't found any simple strategy to remediate this. I am perfectly happy to create a new user account although I've noticed that that will take some application and plugin license reauthorizing.

Does anyone have any experience with this, pointers to solutions, etc.?

Lots of stuff gets saved in the (hidden) AppData directory in your profile. Many applications don't clean up when deinstalled. Check/clean also the various browser caches as they may take up some space and if the index files get corrupted, there can be lots of dead content there.

Beyond that, a system doesn't become "slower" because of age, but because certain common operations start taking more time than they once did (for a number of possible reason), or there are more operations to do at any given time (typically because one's has more background programs running).

The latter one is relatively easy to fix - If you are methodical and inspect what the system is doing at any given time, you can deinstall or disable as many application and processes as possible. The former it's a bit more tricky, as you need to actually catch the problem while it's occurring.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

I'd think 4gig of RAM at the limit for a 64 bit system. I have a laptop that has 4gig and it wheezes and croaks. OK there are other considerations but I always install as much RAM as the computer will take. The laptop is fixed at 4gig, can't be changed.

As well as the Windows CleanUp I use SystemNinja and cCleaner, together with an ancient piece of software which I continue to use as I can't find a more up to date equivalent, and it's called RegSeeker. This has an 'auto-clean' option which does 4 passes through the Registry

When using the Windows Disk CleanUp I make sure I run the cleanup and the system files cleaner. Then I run SystemNinja, although the later version is getting a bit naggy, I use an older portable version, that shifts a lot of stuff, I also use cCleaner which catches a bit of flab that the other utilities don't.

As mentioned already, a lot of Apps leave behind a lot of stuff. I also use an excellent search tool - Agent Ransack, it is very versatile. After un-installing, and only after, I use Agent Ransack to search for anything left behind.

Do you use System Restore a lot? if so, old restore points might still be hanging around, same goes for Windows Updates.

I do a 'maintenance session' about once a week, and after major updates once the machine is happy with the update. I choose the options in the Windows Update config and just select what I consider essentials.

As you get the machine running quicker, and once it's bedded in, make an image and update that image especially when major changes are made.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rasputin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Just wanted to register a quick thank you to all who are responding.
Many good ideas here.
I'll check my MOBO specs: it's old (ASUS P5E) but I think it can support up to 8 GB RAM. Maybe I'll break down and upgrade the graphic card as well...
rasputin
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 am

Bit late, but hopefully relevant.

https://windirstat.net - drive space visualizer and file finder

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_un ... nload.html - deep delete tool, go for the advanced mode and it'll clean any remains from the registry too.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner - Ccleaner as mentioned, easy clean up of older temp files and some optimization.

Your profile tends to keep items on the desktop within it as well as other personalized folders, which on older versions of windows means "my pictures. my video, downloads" sort of folders and I think that still includes current editions. If so, moving large files from those locations to other drives should shrink the total rather rapidly.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio