You are here

Check those Drivers!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Check those Drivers!

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am

Cut a very long, short.
I had a desktop Asus/AMD 6core PC that would not boot into W7. I was told to insert the W7 disc and repair it. That did not work (sup! sup!) . Hitting 'Esc' did work and once up and running the machine was fine. Been like this many months but a few days ago I resolved to sort it.

After much help and 7 pages of how to rebuild the MBR from Tom's Hardware, getting nowhere..Except! I found that the PC would boot fine if I ran it from just ONE hard drive. Moreover, when I ran it from the 'good' drive, after a minute or so, Windows said "Installing new drivers to WD hard drive" ?? Drive worked ok before? Solved it though, reconnecting the second 'D' drive the PC booted straight into W7.

So, had I simply checked the drives for the latest drivers, maybe I could have saved myself hours of work?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Check those Drivers!

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi Dave,

I think this Smiley was specifically designed to accompany your post :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Dave,

I think this Smiley was specifically designed to accompany your post :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Martin

Well yes, but I would like to know if I have been complete idiot? I mean, once booted the PC worked fine. Both drives worked, never glitched or gave any indication that either had out of date drivers. To this simple brain..No drivers = No workey?

I have in the past fallen foul of so-called "Driver Optimizers" and have not tried one for many, many years (I did 'collect' Avast a couple of weeks ago on this laptop and that slid in some driver 'mech' of some sort) .

If you know of anything safe I could run? Be obliged.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:21 pm

ef37a wrote:I have in the past fallen foul of so-called "Driver Optimizers" and have not tried one for many, many years (I did 'collect' Avast a couple of weeks ago on this laptop and that slid in some driver 'mech' of some sort) .

Sorry Dave, I don't!

I used to occasionally visit at web page to check if my browser and its various add-ons were the latest up-to-date versions (mostly for security reasons) but since I've moved from Firefox to Chrome I don't even do that.

Mostly I just leave drivers alone until something untoward happens - I still refuse to accept the updated NVidia graphics drivers that I'm offered by Windows Update, as at 411MB the installer seems grossly bloated ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 pm

ef37a wrote:
Well yes, but I would like to know if I have been complete idiot?

No, if the pc worked and you could do what you needed to do with a little workaround, no idiocy is involved. :-)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:42 am

ef37a wrote:I have in the past fallen foul of so-called "Driver Optimizers" and have not tried one for many, many years (I did 'collect' Avast a couple of weeks ago on this laptop and that slid in some driver 'mech' of some sort) .

https://sourceforge.net/projects/snappy ... er-origin/

The are multiple versions of this since the original build got forked a few years back when the original dev team split and I've read mixed comments on the other well advertised build.

The "origin" edition linked above from Sourceforge has a good reputation and is pretty effective where I've used it.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio