You are here

New build, choosing a motherboard and CPU cooler. Help!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: New build, choosing a motherboard and CPU cooler. Help!

Postby feline1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:53 pm

yeah but I bought several things off QuietPC.com back in the late 90s early noughties, and they all sounded like a bloody hairdryer :headbang:
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Agharta » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:57 pm

feline1 wrote:yeah but I bought several things off QuietPC.com back in the late 90s early noughties, and they all sounded like a bloody hairdryer :headbang:
As long as you get advice on what parts to use it doesn't matter who builds it in terms of noise.
I suggest finding a company that you feel comfortable with who will build you a custom spec and then do the research on what parts to use.
I'm very happy with my new build and I'm still using one of the stock case fans.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm

feline1 wrote:next time I buy a PC (which could well be this year :) ) I'd like to get something genuinely silent (i.e. fanless).
But I'd also like to get an i9-based system, as I only tend to buy a PC about once a decade, so prefer to get the latest stuff.
But Scan just told me there that they can't build a fanless i9, they're too hot.

Ahhh, I didn't realise that was you! Thomas gave me a nudge over it before answering.

it's hard enough to cool an i9 with just 2 or 3 fans in there, going fanless I really do think is going to be pretty hard.

The current highest passive cooler off the shelf I can think of is a Nofan CR95 series which is rated to 95W's, so essentially an 8700 (not the "k" version, they'll turbo higher). As I'm sure you're aware that's the mid-range flagship.

i7's above that level exhibit a 140 (ish) tdp and whilst there isn't an exactly off the peg solution out there, I did mention to him to suggest to you about looking at a company called Calyos ( http://www.calyos-tm.com/calyos-fanless-pc-workstation/ ) who surfaced last year with a fully passive design that can handle about 250w of total system TDP. i9's under load hit about 180w tdp, so add in a low-end GPU and it should be able to handle it, at least on paper.

I spoke to Calyos last year and was invited out to discuss working together closer. I didn't pursue it at the time however as whilst I'm convinced in theory, the cost of dealing with that much metal work is high and rather awkward and honestly, I don't think we could shift enough units to make it viable.

That "generic" version of the case starts around the 1000 euro mark and they're looking to work with system integrators where they would work to design a more custom solution around whichever case was to be specified. Which in theory would be great, but ultimately it requires being able to hit an order minimum quantity in order to justify a lot of setting up work. MIght work for someone like HP who's doing a lot of high-end workstations anyway, but whilst we do a sizable amount of those types of systems, I don't think I can honestly say that we'd get double digits of orders for a case costing more than £1000 by the time it gets shipped back and forth a few times.

But yeah, if you want to attempt an i9 passive build then I think this design would be your best if not only option right now.

I would, however, look over the comments on the original Kickstarter as they look to have missed a shipping deadline or two.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... o/comments

Not, that I'm going to say that is an obvious red flag. After all, this isn't their core business (cooling solutions for data centres is, and I imagine it's a segment they do well in given the other tech they do) and it might simply be a holdup at the factory end, or honestly any number of reasons could be legitimately behind the delay in getting the initial shipment out. A 2 month delay on any new product is hardly rare, although I can understand the frustration some of the early birds must be feeling at this point.

What I am saying is that you should obviously speak to them yourself and make your choice from there. The few times I've dealt with them I've found them professional and keen to help and just want to get this to market, but still, due diligence should be exercised when considering any new product coming to market.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm

When some people say fanless it's often used a byword for noiseless.
You can focus on building a fanless system and be disappointed if you haven't addressed how to install the hard drives so they are also silent.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shmuelyosef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:37 am

I have found THESE GUYS to be both very helpful, as well as the fact that they post their highly stable configurations for each of the systems they configure. I have both purchased a system from them (The SERENITY as in the link above) as well as built a couple of home theatre systems (with different cases for aesthetics) based on their guidance. My Serenity is four years old, still dead silent and trouble-free, although I have swapped in SS-drives and large backup drives in.

Poke around and you will get a sense of the quietest and most reliable gear for sound.

Many of the custom music system vendors won't tell you what their system configuration is and don't do this kind of up to date testing
shmuelyosef
New here

Previous