You are here

Win 10 firewire woes

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Win 10 firewire woes

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat May 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Win10 32bit laptop with PreSonus FP10 interface.

I posted in another forum as well but I don't think there are many firewire users left on there so trying on here...

TI chipset afaik on this one and it worked fine for about half a year. Then Windows decided to poop it up in the update or something Windows does. I am thinking probably the update since Win10 now has a mandatory update route whether you like it or not. It also disabled my UA-4FX interface which is USB. That one came back after the reinstall. The FW did not.

Tried all kinds of power up configurations, interface first, PC first, both together, interface after PC powers up - nada.

Win 10 32bit preloaded. It is a bit old HP laptop but it seemed to work good and had the most important thing - a firewire port.
Everything installed and worked as a charm until at one point during rehearsal the FP10 won’t sync and Device Manager came up with the FP10 device or maybe 1934a device listed under as “disabled”. Enabling it continued to work. At about the same time it started causing the same issues with my Edirol audio interface and that one locked up and needed to be reinstalled. After reinstall it works.

The FP10 and firewire interface alas did not. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1934a firewire controller drivers, even installing the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) as recommended by several sites and Microsoft and nothing. Reinstalled the FP10 interface several times.

The FP10 works without a hitch on a Win7 PC, so it is not that unit.

Only other thing I can remember is installing Kaspersky Total Security or something like that which has a software part that controls which apps run and are outdated, etc. I uninstalled that before trying to restore the driver installations.

At this point, honestly, I’ll take any suggestions.

I am thinking of rolling this PC to Win7.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Re: Win 10 firewire woes

Postby resistorman » Sun May 27, 2018 1:26 am

Sad to say, you might have to go back to Win 7.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm

I had a half hearted attempt at getting my firewire interface working on my Windows 10 laptop and found that the Focusrite website had some helpful articles. I gave up fairly quickly as I hadn't had much luck on a similar laptop under Win 7 either but it might be worth trying some of Focusrite's suggestions. Quite a few people suggest using the legacy firewire driver helps.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby 4TrackMadman » Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 am

I tried both the legacy and OHCI driver. I'll look up Focusrite though, might be something I haven't tried.
The awful reality is that it was working, then Windows forced auto update and broke it.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 am

I think you have a lot of sympathy on that front round here. :(
The current crop of Windows updates aren't breaking anything for me but they are burning through my authorisations on my plugins. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby 4TrackMadman » Mon May 28, 2018 5:32 pm

@blinddrew now that you mention it :shock: :shock: :shock:
I did have a few re-asking for authorization, I thought it was installs but it was odd. Probably that's what's happening.
I do have Win7 64bit and WIn8 64bit available, maybe a downgrade will be an *upgrade* in my case.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Mon May 28, 2018 6:02 pm

I've spent a large part of this weekend re-installing and re-authorising all of my software following a Windows 'upgrade' (guess who hadn't done a recent restore point :headbang: , I had to do a re-start). Fortunately all the data is there.

All the Toontracks stuff (Superior Drummer) was a doddle, as was my Garritan orchestra. About the only thing that wasn't straight forward (aside from messing about with Yamaha UR824 drivers) has been my Sonarworks headphone plug in - which I think will require an email.

It has made me think that maybe a new PC wouldn't be too frightening. And July is bonus month :bouncy:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm

By PC you probably mean Mac as anything Win10 will auto update and break whenever it feels like.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Tue May 29, 2018 10:42 pm

4TrackMadman wrote:By PC you probably mean Mac as anything Win10 will auto update and break whenever it feels like.
Not if you use the Pro version as you can delay major upgrades by between 12 and 16 months.
My plan is probably to upgrade once a year to a version that is 6 months old so the wrinkles should have been ironed out by then.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-dela ... ng-updates
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 pm

Not the Pro, I think the corporate Pro can stop updates.
If you can stop the Pro from updating, I love to know how. All I've seen is you can defer the reboot.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got the standard Pro edition and have used one of the advanced settings to control updates. The updates control panel now says "Some settings are managed by your organisation" but I don't have an organisation! Unfortunately I don't remember what I did but I think I found out how to do it from a link on this forum or possibly from Robin Vincent's article about Windows 10 in the magazine.
James Perrett

Postby 4TrackMadman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:28 am

Must be registry hack. If you can find it, I'd appreciate the tutorial.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 pm

James Perrett

Postby 4TrackMadman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 pm

I have Win10 Pro so that'll be good after I wipe and reinstall.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:08 am

Agharta wrote:
4TrackMadman wrote:By PC you probably mean Mac as anything Win10 will auto update and break whenever it feels like.
Not if you use the Pro version as you can delay major upgrades by between 12 and 16 months.
My plan is probably to upgrade once a year to a version that is 6 months old so the wrinkles should have been ironed out by then.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-dela ... ng-updates

That's what I've done and yep, suits me just fine. Every now and again doing one big whopper of an update, after creating the all important image of course, I would go anywhere without my image!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:12 am

James Perrett wrote:I'm pretty sure I've got the standard Pro edition and have used one of the advanced settings to control updates. The updates control panel now says "Some settings are managed by your organisation" but I don't have an organisation! Unfortunately I don't remember what I did but I think I found out how to do it from a link on this forum or possibly from Robin Vincent's article about Windows 10 in the magazine.

There's a piece of freeware, that is nagware, spamware etc and if memory serves me right it is called AeroTweaker, or WinAeroTweaker and all those options that are in Windows Settings but are more difficult to find than the holy grail, are there listed, including the 'no automatic updates' option.

It is a really useful piece of freeware, runs as a 'portable' app and everything is so easy to access, instead of the perplexing back and forth convoluted trail to options in WIndows Settings
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 am

4TrackMadman wrote:Win10 32bit laptop with PreSonus FP10 interface.

I posted in another forum as well but I don't think there are many firewire users left on there so trying on here...

TI chipset afaik on this one and it worked fine for about half a year. Then Windows decided to poop it up in the update or something Windows does. I am thinking probably the update since Win10 now has a mandatory update route whether you like it or not. It also disabled my UA-4FX interface which is USB. That one came back after the reinstall. The FW did not.

Tried all kinds of power up configurations, interface first, PC first, both together, interface after PC powers up - nada.

Win 10 32bit preloaded. It is a bit old HP laptop but it seemed to work good and had the most important thing - a firewire port.
Everything installed and worked as a charm until at one point during rehearsal the FP10 won’t sync and Device Manager came up with the FP10 device or maybe 1934a device listed under as “disabled”. Enabling it continued to work. At about the same time it started causing the same issues with my Edirol audio interface and that one locked up and needed to be reinstalled. After reinstall it works.

The FP10 and firewire interface alas did not. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1934a firewire controller drivers, even installing the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) as recommended by several sites and Microsoft and nothing. Reinstalled the FP10 interface several times.

The FP10 works without a hitch on a Win7 PC, so it is not that unit.

Only other thing I can remember is installing Kaspersky Total Security or something like that which has a software part that controls which apps run and are outdated, etc. I uninstalled that before trying to restore the driver installations.

At this point, honestly, I’ll take any suggestions.

I am thinking of rolling this PC to Win7.

I have had tussles with Firewire and WIn10/64 in the past ansd all those woes went away when I got a top quality FW card, cost me £75 though! My music computer is not at hand at the moment, but if you'd like to know which it was I'll have a look and post a link here. It was one of the two cards recommended by UAD on their website.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Maybe forgot to mention, this is a laptop.
It has expansion card slot though, Expresscard I think.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 pm

4TrackMadman wrote:Maybe forgot to mention, this is a laptop.
It has expansion card slot though, Expresscard I think.

The Focusrite support page at

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... ire-range-

has some useful suggestions for Expresscards that work with their range.
James Perrett

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 pm

The Pro version updates used to be delayed by 6 months compared to the Home versions that Home users could do a live Beta test on the software before it hit the corporates. But so many Pro users asked MS for the features that had been introduced in the Home versions, that the versions are generally now pretty much pushed out at the same time.

What is happening is that the intervals between full software updates is extending and will shortly be annually, with just patches pushed out in the meantime. Win 10 full updates were initially pushed out about once a month, which was a complete nightmare for corporate IT departments, especially multinationals with thousands of PCs to update remotely worldwide over often very slow internet links. It's now down to around 6 monthly big updates, which should go to yearly updates soon. Security and bug fix patches will continue to be pushed out as and when, but they are far less intrusive than the big changes.

That's been the main reason why the Pro versions have been able to be delayed in the updating process, but as the time between big updates increases, and the home and pro versions then get updated at the same time, the time allowed to delay the updates may reduce significantly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.