You are here

Most VST plugins not availabe but seem to scan

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Most VST plugins not availabe but seem to scan

Postby resistorman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:48 am

Well, this is a real stumper. My laptop Win 10 Home laptop "upgraded" to 1803, and I started having some weird issues. I figured I needed to do some housecleaning and upgrading, so I did a clean install, and put in Samplitude Pro X Suite V3 which installed Izotope Mastering and Repair suite as VST 2 and then I put in my PSP plugins. I noticed Sam scanning all of these, but I can only see the PSP plugs as available for the plugin slots. They seem to work properly. Then I installed all my Plugin Alliance VST2 and VST 3 plugins and those don't show up, even though they're being scanned and no error messages are coming up. I installed Reaper, and the same thing happens... scanning seems normal and only the PSP show up for work. I install an AAS synth as VST 2 and 3, and it shows up as VST 2 and 3 in both DAWS and works.

I've looked at the security permissions of those that work and those that don't, and they appear the same.

I have no idea what to check next... I've tried installing to different folders in different places, and nothing changes.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Re: Most VST plugins not availabe but seem to scan

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 am

Could it be a licensing issue? Everytime I get a major windows update I have to go and re-license my focusrite plug-ins.
To be frank, it doesn't sound like it, but might be worth a check.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby resistorman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:16 pm

blinddrew wrote:Could it be a licensing issue? Everytime I get a major windows update I have to go and re-license my focusrite plug-ins.

It doesn’t seem to be, they aren’t even showing up to ask to activated. I think it’s permissions. Gonna try a total disk wipe install...
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:56 pm

resistorman wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Could it be a licensing issue? Everytime I get a major windows update I have to go and re-license my focusrite plug-ins.

It doesn’t seem to be, they aren’t even showing up to ask to activated. I think it’s permissions. Gonna try a total disk wipe install...

Well before doing that, check the event viewer for errors. If it's a permission issue, it will shown there and you can zero on the affected file or directory and simply change the permissions.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm

I have a similarish problem. In older versions of Cubase, say before c6, when I pressed Plug-In Manager, I saw a list of the plugs ins and I could select/de-select plugins from the list available. Now in later versions, post C6, I see all the plug-ins but cannot select/de-select, so the lot load whether I want them or not.

There is the plug-in information option where midi effects can be selected/de-selected but nothing where I can select/de-select VST effects and/or VST instruments, and one would have thought that such a basic facility
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Well, the issue is resolved; there were two problems masquerading as one, the worst kind!

As it turns out, the Izotope mastering suite is linked to Soundforge Pro 11, and are accessible only from it. Jeez.

I went in and changed the permissions to the vst folders themselves to give anyone and anything permission to do what they will. So the Plugin Alliance VST plugs showed up as did the VST3 versions in Reaper. Samplitude isn't finding VST3s, but it doesn't matter, I have the tools to work. I don't know what's brought these tighter permission requirements, maybe Spectre and Meltdown(?)... and why PSP plugins don't have the same issues... copy protection?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com