You are here

Oldie but goodie

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Oldie but goodie

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 pm

It's easy to start coveting the latest software releases in search of the best synth patches, but when I was pulling together sounds for a live version of Gary Numan's Cars the other day I dug out the trusty old Phaedra library covered in SOS 10 years ago, in turn based on samples of a collection of vintage analogue synths, and they loved it. One person in particular wanted to know where the sounds came from and enthused about how "authentic" they sounded. I don't usually care if something's hardware or software, vintage or VA, sampled or modelled, but I gotta say it did something to kindle that superstitious faith in sounds generated from machines festooned in wires and cobwebs... ;)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Oldie but goodie

Postby Folderol » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 pm

You do know, of course, it's the cobwebs that make the sound. The wires are there just for show :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm

The guy who made that library was around some time back, and went into some detail about it - I'm sure some internet searches would turn it up - can't remember which forum it was offhand... It was all sampled from hardware.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:43 pm

...hah, yeah, just turned up a frank discussion on KVR.

....they are always chasing the NEXT plugin and never learning the tools they have. They end up with hundreds of plugins and can't see the wood for the trees. Less is more and I still stand by my beliefs that emulations do not have the power and sound of the real thing. That might not be important to you but to some it is. Phaedra was supposed to address those people, the marketing was a bit borked. Still it got 5 stars in sound on sound.

He did a good job on this.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)