You are here

msvcr120.dll missing

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

msvcr120.dll missing

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 am

I ran an update for Win10 yesterday and then I find none of my Native INstruments products work and I get the error "The program cannot start because MSVCR120.DLL is missing from your computer"

I have had a look on the internet and some suggest re-downloading and installing some Microsoft Distributable package, and other advice suggests re-installing the affected programmes. But the affected programmes are about 90% of NI Komplete and that is a major big task, about 10 or more DVDs, and no guarantee it will fix the problem.

I did a search on drive c: and sure enough MSVCR120.DLL is in the Native Instruments folder, in fact there are MSVCR120.DLL's all over the place, everything else seems to work, everything but NI products.

I dread running Windows updates these days
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: msvcr120.dll missing

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm

OneWorld wrote:I ran an update for Win10 yesterday and then I find none of my Native INstruments products work and I get the error "The program cannot start because MSVCR120.DLL is missing from your computer"

I have had a look on the internet and some suggest re-downloading and installing some Microsoft Distributable package, and other advice suggests re-installing the affected programmes. But the affected programmes are about 90% of NI Komplete and that is a major big task, about 10 or more DVDs, and no guarantee it will fix the problem.

I did a search on drive c: and sure enough MSVCR120.DLL is in the Native Instruments folder, in fact there are MSVCR120.DLL's all over the place, everything else seems to work, everything but NI products.

I dread running Windows updates these days

I have sort of partially fixed it, I had to download and install the Microsoft Redistributable. So now all the Komplete products (Massive etc) load and run as stand alones on the desktop, but in Cubase they have vanished, they don't even show in the Cubase PlugIn Manager. I am running a re-scan in Cubase but it seems to have frozen
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 pm

I had something similar with the same DLL - I downloaded and re-installed the distributable to no effect. Being a software developer, I had a hunch which was to download the 32 bit version as well. Once that was installed too, the problematic program started working again
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I had something similar with the same DLL - I downloaded and re-installed the distributable to no effect. Being a software developer, I had a hunch which was to download the 32 bit version as well. Once that was installed too, the problematic program started working again

I had to re-establish the paths for the VSTs, why updating Win10 trash all the paths and wipe out the distributables goodness knows, I never had this problem in the past.

The usual Win10 issues are all the crud it dumps onto our computer. I am so close to going back to Win7/64 as I cannot see anything about Win10 that enhances a DAW
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:15 pm

I had to do this with Reaper after the last Windows update as well. Not had to do it before. Odd.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby OneWorld » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:23 pm

blinddrew wrote:I had to do this with Reaper after the last Windows update as well. Not had to do it before. Odd.

I'm getting tired of this now. After a load of tweaking and configging and cups of tea (I've nigh on drank a tea plantation) I have, or thought I had, got everything working. But there are just little odd niggly bits. Each time I boot, my wireless networking doesn't work, what I have to do is right click, disable and then enable.

When I try to browse to my NAS drive it informs me network sharing is switched off, so I switch it on and it then has to go through the whole browse routine to populate the cache. I had shortcuts to various folders on the NAS drives, they have vanished. I have network browsing turned on and yet it won't browse the drives until I have typed in the path in a DOS window

I have a small USB controller which I use for one particular softsynth, Win10 recognises it, Cubase recognises it, but it simply will not work, and it took me an age to set it up.

I have looked at all the entries under Device Manager/Sound Video and Game Controllers and under the properties of for example my RME FireFace, under the Properties/Events it says @Requires further installation@ although it seems ot be working OK, it says "Requires further installation" on all my music USB/Firewire devices

My mouse and keyboard seem to go to sleep. This is odd. Cubase works fine for about 2 hours and then it starts to freeze momentarily. I have turned off all power management options but it makes no difference.

I have 2 LCD monitors and when the PC first boots, the main monitor just displays a black screen, I have to switch focus to monitor 2 for monitor 1 to display as normal and then switch focus back to monitor 1 for both displays to display as normal. If I do not go through the routine just described the screen stays black (after the login screen) for about 5 mins before it displays properly. Win XP and Win7 never gave these problems

This is the famed (infamous) Anniversary/Creative? Edition of Win10 which I installed when it first rolled out but it caused so much trouble I took it off again, since then I had updates turned off but thought it was time to have another go at bringing Win10 up to date, and now am regretting it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 am

That seems like Windows M.E. levels of wonk!

What generation mainboard/CPU is this?
Is it a clean install or inline upgrade?

If you've already hit a wall and considering a roll-back, may I suggest shotgunning the latest drivers?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/snappy ... er-origin/

Set a restore point, download the index for the local PC and see what's out there. Certainly can't promise that it'll nail the issue, but nothing to lose by that point and the safe mode roll-back is there in case a should a driver not take.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:That seems like Windows M.E. levels of wonk!

What generation mainboard/CPU is this?
Is it a clean install or inline upgrade?

If you've already hit a wall and considering a roll-back, may I suggest shotgunning the latest drivers?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/snappy ... er-origin/

Set a restore point, download the index for the local PC and see what's out there. Certainly can't promise that it'll nail the issue, but nothing to lose by that point and the safe mode roll-back is there in case a should a driver not take.

I am spending today having a good look at everything, making sure drivers are up to data etc. I am making progress, have got most if not all the software running, my eLicencers, Arturia and NI licensing all sorted.

The two remaining issues are....

mouse/keyboard seem t go to sleep after a while. If I look at the Performance meter, and watch it scrolling across, it halts momentarily at the same time the mouse/keyboard freezes.

That being said I have had the PC running for about 5 hours and the problem isn't there, it only seems to do it with Cubase running and only after about 2 or 3 hours. I can wazz the mouse from left to right and it freezes, just for a moment or so.

One thing I did notice, and this was immediately after shutting down Cubase, and frozen muse problem still there. I looked at Resource Monitor/CPU and out of all the cores shown, only core 1 shows any activity. Now that seems strange to me, because when I first turn the PC on, all cores show activity.

The PC is getting on a bit, it has an ASUS motherboard and has an i7 960@3.2mhz, 16 gig of RAM 256 SSD + 2 * 512 SSD for data and samples. I use it exclusively for music.

I have looked at Device Manager and everything appears good, no exclamation marks or red crosses.

I got the control surface working - that was down to the XML file in Cubase Devices getting messed up, goodness knows how. But I'd exported a backup and it's working

Some time ago I had issues when running CPU heavy VST like NI Studio Drummer and read on the internet that the NIC can cause problems with DAW software (goodness knows why) and it suggested disabling the NIX whe using the DAW, which I did and CPU use when running NI SD went down from 50% to 10% and I haven't had a problem since, well since I updated to this Creator's version of Win10 that is.

I did create a system image and still have the roll-back file that Win10 install created. I am reluctant to roll-back but before I had a PC that was flawless, booted in no time at all, and had none of this mouse/keyboard freezing issue. Well I thin it goes beyond the mouse/keyboard as the progress line in Cubase stutters in sync with the mouse/keyboard, although it does not affect the playback itself.

So as I say, the problem I have now is the 5 minutes boot up, which goes to a black screen after the log on screen, though the mouse arrow displays, and after abut 5 mins the screen displays as normal (yep, I've checked my display drivers - AMD) and the stuttering mouse.

Some suggested on the internet that the single CPU being active, could be an issue of 'processor parking' whatever that is, and that could cause the stuttering mouse
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm

I have done ore trawling around on the internet and it seems kb4041994 is the culprit, though one website says Microsoft withdrew kb4041994 because of all the problems it was causing and replaced it with kb4048955, strange thing is, I am downloading all the latest updates and for soe reason it is downloading kb4041994, there's no hint of kb4048955
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: msvcr120.dll missing Slow Boot

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:57 pm

It seems the issue I am having is widespread - that is, Win10 takes forever to boot after updating to the Fall Creators version and with some after the Anniversary - my PC is now taking 7 minutes to boot, it used to take about 20 seconds. I was really getting to like Win10, now it's a nightmare

There must be a 1001 and one 'solutions' on YouTube, but I might as well face East and prostrate myself before the Gods of Windows and ask for forgiveness as I have been all day trying this, trying that and trying them again - no difference, I now have a modern computer that takes longer to boot than my old Atari that booted from a floppy disk
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am

Having just Googled "anniversary slowdown" I ended up hitting a page or two that suggested using WPT (windows performance tools) to do a boot trace... which was news to me, good to see that it is at least a thing these days.

Not that I suspect you'd want to delve into WPT (Google some guides if you're feeling up to it, it's rather in depth, to say the least) as it's not the most intuitive tool out there. One thing that did seem to be fairly common amongst the results was a suggestion that the Intel ME was behind it. Given that driver would be a crucial link to any patching they've done at an OS level for the security issues over x-mas, that does at least strike me as something worth looking at.

Head to Intel.com and under the support section, there should be an auto driver update application. Could easily be the case that the OS needs a post-anniversary driver update to match whatever patches got rolled out in the main build.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Having just Googled "anniversary slowdown" I ended up hitting a page or two that suggested using WPT (windows performance tools) to do a boot trace... which was news to me, good to see that it is at least a thing these days.

Not that I suspect you'd want to delve into WPT (Google some guides if you're feeling up to it, it's rather in depth, to say the least) as it's not the most intuitive tool out there. One thing that did seem to be fairly common amongst the results was a suggestion that the Intel ME was behind it. Given that driver would be a crucial link to any patching they've done at an OS level for the security issues over x-mas, that does at least strike me as something worth looking at.

Head to Intel.com and under the support section, there should be an auto driver update application. Could easily be the case that the OS needs a post-anniversary driver update to match whatever patches got rolled out in the main build.

Thanks, I found it more commonly referred to as the Win10 Black Screen of Death, and it happens here in the boot process....BootUp/BIOS/Login (or Lock Screen)/then a black screen where the PC gets stuck.

Move the mouse and you see the cursor, do the 3 fingered salute and you get the switch user/Task Manager etc.

It stays at that point for about 4 minutes then the desktop appears.

So yesterday I thought I would create a new user, booted and everything was fine, the usual Win10 boot within 20 seconds - great, I thought

So I copied what I could from the c:users/troubled profile to the c:users/Public folder, renamed the c:Users/troubled folder and copied what I could to the Public folder.

I read on the internet go into the registry and delete the troubled the profile.

I then booted up and booted into the name of the original (troubled) profile, it created new folder in that name. I booted up - all well and good :-)

I then copied my Documents file and desktop to the newly created folder - booted up and sure enough, it blackscreened, back to where I was.

I have now done what I have never done in the past, I have rolled back to an image I made before the Win10 Update which is causing the trouble.

So, seems to suggest a corrupted profile. I noted when I was trying to copy files between the folders to re-build my profile, I couldn't copy NTUSER.DAT and some other .DAT files, even though I was logged on as another user, with admin priviledges.

As I mentioned, I am fed up with it now, I surrender. And from what I have seen from this latest version of Win10 - the Creators (I haven't done any creating since it trashed my setup) there is nothing about it that will enhance my use of the PC which is used exclusively for Cubase, Halion, Kontakt, Komplete, Modular V3, Arturia Beatstep and a few bought soft synths. I only ever go on the internet to download driver updates. I wish WIn10 was like Win7 which gave options regarding updates.

As I have been typing this I have gone back to the image I made the other day and sure enough, boots and runs no problem. So it is something affected by Win10 Creators, and I left it several months to settle down rather than install as soon as it rolled off the production line, but I simply cannot nail what the issue is.

Up till this point I have held a torch for Win10, encouraging my Win7 stalwarts to move on up, I won't be doing any more encouraging now!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)