You are here

Scarlett 2i2 Rode NT1 power issue?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Scarlett 2i2 Rode NT1 power issue?

Postby ckenyon_17 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:32 pm

I have a really bad wind noise when using my Scarlett 2i2 and my Rode NT1. When I press the 48v button it works perfectly for about 5 seconds, and then there’s just a rumbling, windy static noise that is constant, even if I’m silent. The gain light is always green and flashes orange and red with the noise as well. I had this issue with a behringer audio interface and I ended up having to get the 2i2, I want to know what is broken. The mic, xlr cable, or the interface.

Sounds exactly like this:

soundcloud.com/ryan-thomas-music/microphone-noise

I'm running Windows 10, and I have the latest drivers for everything. It was working one second and then it just stopped, randomly.
ckenyon_17

Re: Scarlett 2i2 Rode NT1 power issue?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 pm

It's almost certainly a damp or dirty capsule or circuit board in the mic. You've swapped interfaces and the problem persists, so it's unlikely to be that. It would be worth trying a different cable, just in case, but I doubt it will make any difference. You could try drying the mic out by placing it in a clean poly bag with some silica gel bags, or a warm airing cupboard for a few days... but if that doesn't work it will need professional repair.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ckenyon_17 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Could I use a DMM to test and see if I’m even getting 48v out of the XLR cable/the 2i2? I really don’t think it’s the mic because I’ve been using it for over a month with the 2i2 with no issues whatsoever. Haven’t moved it or anything
ckenyon_17

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes, you can test the phantom power with a DMM. You should get something close to 48V between pins 1-2 and 1-3 at the mic end of the cable (with the mic not connected)

I'd be surprised if its a phantom issue from your description, though.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound