You are here

Reaper "Juddering" / CPU issue?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Reaper "Juddering" / CPU issue?

Postby The Bunk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm working on a Reaper project that has 22 tracks, a few of which have heavy CPU-usage (I'm assuming) FX / plugins on them - I've got EZDrummer on 4 of them (separating kick, snare, hi-hats and crashes so I can EQ/compress them etc. individually), Ozone on one ("Smoking Hot Guitar Solo"!! - if only I was a smoking hot player :headbang: ) but generally, other than that, it's standard Reaper plug-ins, and I'm now getting what seems like CPU-related "stuttering". Is that what I could expect with that number of tracks and what's on them? Trouble is I'm considering using Reaper's Autotune (Reatune) on one - although it's not absolutely necessary - and that's got no hope of working now (I've tried it...).
If it is what you'd expect....how to solve?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Reaper "Juddering" / CPU issue?

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Freeze the tracks that you aren't currently tweaking - that will be the equivalent of rendering them to a new file so that you are no longer using any processing power for the effects that they use. You can unfreeze them at any time to change them.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Ozone is pretty CPU intense, at least the version 5 we have at the studio, much depends on the PC. With my laptop 22 tracks is a lot for example, the desktop doesn't even notice with the same setup.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Have a look at the performance meter and that will tell you which tracks are using up your CPU. Then, as James says, freeze the chunky ones that you're not currently tweaking. There's no problem with unfreezing them afterwards if/when you do need to make changes.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks all....much appreciated. Problem solved!!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:36 pm

And the culprit was? :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Martin Walker wrote:And the culprit was? :beamup:

Martin

To be honest, I targeted the obvious suspects straight away without checking the performance meter first (I took note of Drew's tagline which does say something like "Ignore the post count, I basically have no idea what I'm talking about ;) ;) :bouncy: )

So, the drums (EZDrummer on 4 tracks) and the guitar solo which was using Alloy. And then I added back Ozone 5 on the master track really just to see the results (I normally render the master without it and then import that into a new project and master that) as that previously gave rise to the problem, and it's stopped happening! Woo-hoo!

It was concerning me that either my PC is heading towards being shafted, or that I couldn't add more processing once I'd got so far with a project, especially as I tend to do the vocals last and that's where Reatune comes in. Reatune is one of the worst CPU drainers and on the occasions I use it, that REALLY highlights the problem.

So I can now sing shambolically in comfort again...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster