You are here

"The file is corrupted and cannot be opened" error.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

"The file is corrupted and cannot be opened" error.

Postby Elephone » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello. I keep getting this error message when trying to open files in certain programs but not others. They won't open in Melodyne or Recycle, but play in Windows Media Player and open in Adobe Audition and Reaper 5.

The programs showing the error message have nothing to do with each other so I'm guessing it's a Windows problem. There is no issue with permissions or anything like that.

What could it be?

Thanks in advance.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: "The file is corrupted and cannot be opened" error.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:29 pm

What kind of files? Saved from which program(s)?

What happens if you re-save the file from the programs that can open them and then try to open in Melodyne/Recycle? Or re-save them in a different format?

At a guess, it sounds like the file headers are being encoded in a way that the other programs don't understand.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Agharta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:At a guess, it sounds like the file headers are being encoded in a way that the other programs don't understand.
WAV file headers can have a bunch of stuff beyond the stock 44 byte header but any half decent software shouldn't mess it up for other tools to read. Well in theory anyway. ;)
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Elephone » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:48 pm

They're 44.1kHz, 24-bit stereo & mono WAV files. I saved them from Reaper (rendered) and Adobe Audition (without metadata). Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Are you sure they are 24 bit and not a 32 bit float format?

Adobe Audition can display the file properties. That might reveal a useful clue
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Elephone wrote:Hello. I keep getting this error message when trying to open files in certain programs but not others. They won't open in Melodyne or Recycle, but play in Windows Media Player and open in Adobe Audition and Reaper 5.

The programs showing the error message have nothing to do with each other so I'm guessing it's a Windows problem. There is no issue with permissions or anything like that.

What could it be?

Thanks in advance.

90% of these are codec issues. Programs sometimes elect not use Windows API for reading but do the job themselves, so you may be able to read files in software (like Windows components) that use the system codecs, but certain applications may be unable to read them. WAV, AIFF, MOV, Mp4, etc are containers for different bitstream encodings. If your software doesn't know about that encoding, it won't be able to read it.

And of course the opposite if your software saves in a format for which Windows doesn't yet have a codec installed.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Elephone wrote:I saved them from Reaper (rendered) and Adobe Audition (without metadata). Thanks.

I think Reaper renders in Broadcast Wav by default - have you tried unchecking the BWF box? Also check that Save markers and regions isn't selected.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page