You are here

CCleaner- Virtually Unstoppable!!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: CCleaner- Virtually Unstoppable!!

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 pm

I've just set up my new laptop and installed CCleaner. I just set it to not use active monitoring and I stopped it running on start-up. Job done. Nothing seems to have changed from what I can see.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi The Elf!

The offending version was 5.45.6611, with me having to remove it via Task Manager after each use, but the web site then suggested 'upgrading' to an earlier 5.44.6575 version, which arrives with monitoring inactive, and politely removes itself properly when you exit the utility.

I've just downloaded, installed and run the latest freeware 5.47.6716 version, and this also behaves properly as you say.

Result!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Phew! Glad I dodged that version then! :)

I did notice that CCleaner tried to sneak Avast in as part of the installation. Hmmm... :roll:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm

The Elf wrote:I did notice that CCleaner tried to sneak Avast in as part of the installation. Hmmm... :roll:

Yep, it's been having a sly go at installing 3rd party stuff for a while now - you have to keep your eyes peeled ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:44 am

Son has not had his new lappy five minutes but he says the HDD is getting stuffed already!

I understand Cc has a duplicate file finder but I am loathe to put it on his W10 machine, any other safe solutions please?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Beware! Just because a duplicate file can be found that doesn't mean it isn't needed to be in two places!

In terms of CCLeaner... I wouldn't worry about installing it - it's fine. All I would do is switch off any of the real-time help it offers and just run it when it's needed.

In terms of filling a hard drive - it really needs some user-discipline to off-load files and manage the available space.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Internet browsing caches can take up a fair bit of space and can fill up pretty quickly, so one quick check would be to empty the browser cache and see how much space that frees up. It may be significant, or it may not, but at least its something you can rule out.

There are probably a load of install files left over as well in download folders, so again, they can be deleted.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Wonks wrote:Internet browsing caches can take up a fair bit of space and can fill up pretty quickly, so one quick check would be to empty the browser cache and see how much space that frees up. It may be significant, or it may not, but at least its something you can rule out.

There are probably a load of install files left over as well in download folders, so again, they can be deleted.

Yes Wonks, son's idea is, when he is back in France and got the music stuff sorted (and he wants to get any dldds done here where possible) he will put the laptop in airplane mode and not go online again. His internet connection at his flat is very flakey anyway so clearing that cache is a good idea.

He also has a 1TB portable USB 3.0 drive* and I am suggesting he put an image on that as first job then dump off stuff that he thinks is duplicated. The laptop has only a 240G SSD.

And, ta Elf, points taken.

*Shockproof. He IS a musician after all!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:16 pm

BOO!!!!!!

Yes, the drive's still working. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Wonks wrote:Internet browsing caches can take up a fair bit of space and can fill up pretty quickly, so one quick check would be to empty the browser cache and see how much space that frees up. It may be significant, or it may not, but at least its something you can rule out.

I still regularly use CCleaner, and my browser cache is typically between 300Mb and 500Mb - not a lot by today's standards, but half a gig can be worth getting back if you don't mind your browser being a tad slow the next time you visit the same websites.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:59 pm

ef37a wrote:He also has a 1TB portable USB 3.0 drive* and I am suggesting he put an image on that as first job then dump off stuff that he thinks is duplicated. The laptop has only a 240G SSD.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, shifting all my music downloads onto a USB 3.0 drive so I can plug it like a portable MP3 player into my new BluRay/DVD/CD player for playback on the sitting room system.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:He also has a 1TB portable USB 3.0 drive* and I am suggesting he put an image on that as first job then dump off stuff that he thinks is duplicated. The laptop has only a 240G SSD.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, shifting all my music downloads onto a USB 3.0 drive so I can plug it like a portable MP3 player into my new BluRay/DVD/CD player for playback on the sitting room system.

Martin

What he had done was dump the samples from 8 dual layer DVDs onto the laptop's C drive and thus with Sam pro X3 and W10 he had stuffed the 240G drive to close to half full. (took him hours he said!) . I set the machine up and ran the nearly 60gigs onto the 1TB 3.0 drive (took about 30 mins) .

Now, I think he can leave the samples there and access them from the Independence Free player as he needs them?

Must be a posh BR/DVD machine Martin? I've never had one that could handle other than stills over USB?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 pm

ef37a wrote:Must be a posh BR/DVD machine Martin? I've never had one that could handle other than stills over USB?

It was rather an expensive model compared with the under £100 jobbies out there nowadays, but:

a) My DVD recorder had failed some months back.

b) My hi-fi CD player was also starting to throw a wobbly when I put most CDs in its tray.

c) I realised that without having BluRay capability I'd still be years behind the curve.

d) On researching I discovered that very few modern BluRay or DVD players have dedicated analogue audio outputs (allegedly this is because they don't want people being able to copy videos with high quality audio too easily).

The one machine i tracked down that seemed to do everything I wanted was originally released in 2016 (but still appearing on various 'best of' lists) was the Sony UHP-H1.

I've been blown away by how much of an improvement I've noticed on both video and audio quality with my DVD collection, and it really does sound like a high quality hi-fi audio player with CDs too.

It also has a Network connection so I've now got it connected to YouTube etc for some great evenings of new music, once again with wonderful quality audio considering the source material. So I popped some FLAC albums from my digital download collection into a USB stick and plugged that into the UHP-H1, and blow me it sounds wonderful again. It did cost me £242, but I'm well pleased with the results across all these formats

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio ... 022/review

I suspect I'll be even more impressed with video quality once I've bought a BluRay disk though :mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 pm

I don't want to cause you possible pain Martin at this festive time but you might STILL be a bit "behind the curve"?
Short story: My son sent me the latest Logan DVD for a birthday last year and it was a "4K ULTRA HD + BLU-RAY +DIGITAL" three disc box. It would not play on my £80 Blu ray player. Went out and bought another machine that SEEMED to be 4k for £130. Wasn't.

There are now 3 levels it seems. Bog S DVD, HD Blu ray DVD and the very expensive ULtra 4k Blu ray DVD!

Caveat f.f.f.fLIPPING emptor indeed!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks for the advice Dave, but I do know a bit about these different BluRay formats during my research, and although this Sony machine doesn't support 4K UHD Blu-ray format it does do everything that I can foresee me needing for the foreseeable future ;)

Yes, I'm way behind the video curve, but I'm also one of those old fuddy duddies who still find a 32-inch screen perfectly adequate in my sitting room, so 4K Blu-ray disks are unlikely to be much on my purchase list :beamup:

I still buy CDs too, even after friend's children are mystified by what a CD player is :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous