You are here

HDMI into DVI or VGA

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

HDMI into DVI or VGA

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 pm

I am trying to used a monitor to display a DVD player.

I have tried an HDMI to VGA cable and an HDMI to HDMI to DVI adaptor.

Tried 3 different monitors all of which work from the HHMI port of a computer.

Should this work and if nor why are the adaptors readily available? Amazon have already refunded me for one so nobody stands to gain.

Curses! Thwarted!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: HDMI into DVI or VGA

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Have you confirmed that your monitor supports the frame rate and image pixel count of the DVD player's HDMI output?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Have you confirmed that your monitor supports the frame rate and image pixel count of the DVD player's HDMI output?

H
Ah! "Catch 22" Hugh. I cannot get any monitor to display a setup menu properly to check or set anything. In fact one Dell monitor resolutely just says "no signal. Power off mode" and there seems no way to defeat it.

Another monitor, a Hannstar 19" is closest. It displays a menu screen but I cannot get it past that. If I pull the HDMI feed it displays "no signal" so it "knows" there is something going on!

I have for a long time fed a VGA signal to the VGA port of FSTVs without problem* and HDMI from a laptop to HDMI on TV. I even have a device that decodes HDMI and produces basic comp' video and analogue sound and that works fine into the appropriate RCAs of the recorder. I had expected the whole shebang to work the other way.

Next I shall try comp' video to VGA but now Maps have gone I shall have to wait!

*There is the rare situation where, if there is a PC crash it can come back at a "safe" scan rate a TV does not recognise. I suppose that is somewhat the case here?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Temp » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:25 pm

I know it seems incredibly obvious, but there's not a 'source' selection option in the menu (or a button on the device itself)? It's had me in the past after being used to single-input VGA displays. I'm not sure how these things work, but if your device has multiple inputs, it might not automatically sense or prioritise them.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Temp wrote:I know it seems incredibly obvious, but there's not a 'source' selection option in the menu (or a button on the device itself)? It's had me in the past after being used to single-input VGA displays. I'm not sure how these things work, but if your device has multiple inputs, it might not automatically sense or prioritise them.

Cheers.

The 19" and another monitor display "Digital" automatically for an HDMI input and "No Signal" if I pull it but nothing is displayed on the screens other than internally generated OSD and that does not seem to work correctly.

I am sure Hugh has nailed the problem but how to set the scan rate etc when the menu won't let you?

I have now ordered SCART to VGA (male to male) . Only 4 quid so not bothered if it does not work. I don't need high resolution, just able to read the DVD recorder's menu.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Could you be falling foul of some kind of copy protection which will only allow the signal to be displayed on a TV? I know that HDMI includes some copy protection which is probably used by the DVD source but I don't know how it exactly works.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Agharta » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 pm

James Perrett wrote:Could you be falling foul of some kind of copy protection which will only allow the signal to be displayed on a TV? I know that HDMI includes some copy protection which is probably used by the DVD source but I don't know how it exactly works.
If that is the case it suggests that the monitor is too old to support the required protocol rather than it being an issue due to it not being a TV.
HDCP works with DVI as well as HDMI although DVI is video only so no audio support. So unless your DVD player also has analogue audio outputs that adds another level of complexity and may limit your options.

It would help if you give the makes and model numbers of your equipment. The specs for the DVD Player might provide a clue.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am

Agharta wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Could you be falling foul of some kind of copy protection which will only allow the signal to be displayed on a TV? I know that HDMI includes some copy protection which is probably used by the DVD source but I don't know how it exactly works.
If that is the case it suggests that the monitor is too old to support the required protocol rather than it being an issue due to it not being a TV.
HDCP works with DVI as well as HDMI although DVI is video only so no audio support. So unless your DVD player also has analogue audio outputs that adds another level of complexity and may limit your options.

It would help if you give the makes and model numbers of your equipment. The specs for the DVD Player might provide a clue.

Hmm? Yes it's all pretty old kit. My object is to record DVD sound to computer (yes I know you can "rip" it in some software and I have done so with AA1.5 but it takes nearly as long as real time! In any case I shall be copying some cassettes, no rip option there!) I really only want the DVD picture to see WTF I am doing!

The Portta HDMI to RCA/Svideo converter takes no notice of copy protection? I can check this for DVD to monitor however with a disc made of my garden.
Hopefully the SCART to VGA will be here soon. If that does not work I shall look around for a 22" FSTV from a charity shop. That will take the place of the existing PC monitor which has VGA and digital and I use the latter and I assume I will be able to flip twixt that and HDMI or VGA?

If VGA/SCART does not work I shall list the kit.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 am

Given up!

The spec' of at least one of the monitors, a 19" HannStar, list "Hor' frq as 31kHz -80kHz and V frq as 55Hz -75Hz. Both out of the range of UK video standards.

I have the SCART to VGA cable, no joy with that either. I dare say some more modern monitors would lock to UK broadcast rates but since the object of the exercise was to make good use of old gear, bit pointless.

I have since bought a great 22" widescreen TV from the Scope shop. No remote but 25 quid!

That solves the problem. Computer* now runs via VGA and DVD recorder comes in on HDMI. I have a remote on its way from 'Zon.

*Was on a 2mtr DV-I cable but TV does not have DV-I so had to buy a 2mtr VGA. Never friggin' ends do it!

Thanks for all the contributions.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:50 pm

Hooray - glad you're finally sorted Dave, and at £25 that's a bargain! :clap: 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker