You are here

Cloning to new Solid State Drive

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cloning to new Solid State Drive

Postby Elephone » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Hello. Has anyone done this, rather than reinstalling Windows and all the software onto it?

Did you notice an improvement in performance and reliability? Has anyone here had a SSD fail on them?

I'm pretty happy with my PC running Windows 7, but worry about clicking HDDs interrupting my work. My main drive is pretty old. Incidentally, what's the best way to keep a HDD working? I have several external drives and two have failed recently. Do they need firing up once a week?

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Cloning to new Solid State Drive

Postby Agharta » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Some SSDs come with free cloning software.
I used the free version of Macrium Reflect to clone my drive.
It has the ability to clone to a smaller drive which not all do which is often essential when cloning a HDD to an SSD.

All drives can fail so keep regular backups of important data regardless of age or type.
It's fine to clone Windows 7 from a HDD to an SSD and you will notice the performance difference.
There are some low level technical issues when cloning a HDD to an SSD but I think modern cloning software takes care of that.
Some people insist on doing a fresh installation but that can be a lot of work if you have a load of software installed and activated.
I'd clone it and see how it feels and only do a fresh install if you really feel it's required.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Cloning to new Solid State Drive

Postby scw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:16 pm

I have cloned onto SSD's several times without any issues at all. I have used samsung magician and Macrium Reflex and both are effective.

I noticed a great improvement in startup times and would probably go as far as saying that bang for buck it made the biggest difference to speed on my PCs.
scw
Regular