You are here

UPS recommendations

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

UPS recommendations

Postby Hobbes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Last night I switched on my music pc and was horrified to hear a terrible ground loop buzzing through my monitors. I was just in the process of Googling “wtf would a ground loop appear out of nowhere” when the UPS that my PC and screens are connected to died. No warning. Pretty annoyed, as I replaced the UPS battery only last year, and the whole point of a UPS is to prevent catastrophic failures like this! Luckily I wasn’t in the middle of any work. Anyway after plugging the pc into a wall socket the hum had mercifully disappeared (and there was no other damage to the pc). It seems that the hum was the warning!

So I’m in the market for a UPS. Just need something that has enough power for a 800w PC and a couple of screens. Doesn’t need a long run-time as it won’t be unattended. Just enough to smooth out the electrics and give me enough time to save my work and shut down in case of a power cut. Any recommendations welcome.
Hobbes
Poster

Re: UPS recommendations

Postby wireman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 pm

800W seems a lot for a music PC. Is that the actual power draw under load?

For what it is worth, I use an APC SMT 1000i but this is not an entry level device.
wireman
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 pm

wireman wrote:800W seems a lot for a music PC. Is that the actual power draw under load?

Agreed - my quad-core PC clocking at 4.4GHz only normally consumes a couple of hundred watts unless I'm running it flat out.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hobbes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
wireman wrote:800W seems a lot for a music PC. Is that the actual power draw under load?

Agreed - my quad-core PC clocking at 4.4GHz only normally consumes a couple of hundred watts unless I'm running it flat out.

Martin

The PSU in the PC is 800w - I don’t know what the actual draw on it is though.
Hobbes
Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 pm

I just did a battery replacement on my APC Back Ups 1500. Don't know what they call it if you are in the U.K. It saved my butt a number of times through brownouts and blackouts. Supposedly I get 20 minutes for computer (tower) and monitor and backup hard drive. It squeals when the AC dies and I rush in and save and shut it all down.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 am

Hobbes wrote: Just enough to smooth out the electrics and give me enough time to save my work and shut down in case of a power cut.

So your current UPS is an always on-line pure sine wave output one? Because most small UPS systems aren't and the battery (and associated voltage regulation etc.) only kicks in on power failure. These typically start around the £1000 point in the UK.

Tell us the model you have, then it's easier for others to suggest something (not that I 'm current with UPS offerings).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am

It sounds as if your old UPS just had a rectifier or similar (cheap component) failure. A buzzing noise prior to total failure is typical and I would just get the damn thing fixed.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:It sounds as if your old UPS just had a rectifier or similar (cheap component) failure. A buzzing noise prior to total failure is typical and I would just get the damn thing fixed.

Whilst I am almost always in favour of fixing not flinging gear battery technology has moved on apace in the last 5 years or so. The modern Lithium battery are smaller, lighter and far less fussy about charge rates than the Sealed Lead Acids normally used in a UPS and do not suffer the "memory effect" of NiCads.

I also suspect the fault is more extensive than simply a punched through rectifier? A filter cap may have shorted, that borkerd the bridge and there might be blown print all over the shop. We are talking serious electrical energies here.

I don't think OP needs a continuous converting supply? "Modified Sine" with rapid switch over seems to suit most people ok. Computer power supplies "modify sines" very well as it is!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster