You are here

midi time code/ sync problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

midi time code/ sync problem

Postby Drongoloid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi. I'm hoping this isn't odd and that it happens to everyone all the time but I get the feeling it doesn't! Using Reaper I am playing the sounds in a Nord Drum 3 via midi rather than hitting the pads with a stick. That's all dandy until I unplug my laptop from A/C to run on the battery (to avoid ground loop noise) and then the Nord loses time, stops, gains time and is generally out of any kind of sync until I plug the laptop back in when it's fine again. Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here?

many thanks
Drongoloid
Poster

Re: midi time code/ sync problem

Postby Drongoloid » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:21 am

I think I have solved why this is happening but don't know if it should be happening. I raisd the buffer size in my uc fireface to 512 from 256 and the problems (which also included crackling) go. To test further I lowered the buffer size to 96 and with the laptop on battery power the whole thing is all over the place but when plugged in to a/c all is well. Is this a common thing to have to increase the buffer size of an interface when running a laptop on batteries?

thanks
Drongoloid
Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:09 am

I suspect what you are seeing is down to different power management when on battery power. Try setting the power management scheme to maximum performance for battery power and see if that makes a difference.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby caltobarde » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 am

Facing the same issue, thou plugging in before turning on my PC helping to get rid of the bug for timing.
caltobarde
Regards,
Smith

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah, it's most likely the power settings thing, as battery settings are far more aggressive as you'd expect.

Go into your windows power schemes and set high performance, or at least set the "on battery" profile to match the "on mains" profile.

If it's still acting oddly afterwards it's time for a DPC test.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio