You are here

Connect a Filter to Soundcard DAW?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Connect a Filter to Soundcard DAW?

Postby james090 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Back in the day i used to run a DAW from a PC via an 8 output soundcard, into 8 channels into a hardware desk. I then used to strap a compressor over the main inserts, and use the channel inserts 3+4 with a stereo filter which i could tweak.

So basically I would send the main stereo output of the DAW into channels 1+2 of the desk, then 3+4 would send anything that i would like the filter to control, and 5, 6, 7, 8 were just outputs to separate other audio channels as I saw fit.

I quite liked this, as i could route anything to the filter and play it in realtime whilst recording (to DAT at the time).

Would there be a way to do this similar thing now? without the need for a desk?
I am thinking of grabbing a stereo filter again, and routing 3+4 outputs on a audio interface to the filter to record passes.

I have an audient iD-22 which does have send/returns but not sure it would work or set up the same?
Do i need an 8 output audio interface to make an ext Filter work?

Thanks
james090
Regular

Re: Connect a Filter to Soundcard DAW?

Postby James Perrett » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:29 pm

If you don't want everything filtered you are going to have to either use a soundcard with 4 outputs and a mixer as before or else use the filter while you are mixing using your soundcard to send and return the audio. However, I'm not really sure there's much need to use an analogue filter these days as there are plenty of plug-in alternatives.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby james090 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'm not really sure there's much need to use an analogue filter these days as there are plenty of plug-in alternatives.

Agree here, but as a luddite, i am still using a pre VST DAW that only uses DX plug ins!
I should upgrade but love this version of Acid, so a hardware filter would be good to use on channels 3+4, as i used to with a desk..
james090
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 pm

I missed seeing that you are using an iD22 the first time I read your post - you've got enough outputs so just connect the filter inputs to outs 3 and 4 on the iD22 while feeding the iD22 inputs with the outputs from the filter.
James Perrett

Postby james090 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:51 pm

James Perrett wrote:I missed seeing that you are using an iD22 the first time I read your post - you've got enough outputs so just connect the filter inputs to outs 3 and 4 on the iD22 while feeding the iD22 inputs with the outputs from the filter.

Right, so this means i can use outputs 1+2 as stereo outs and 3+4 as 'filtered outputs' using the iD-22 this way with send 3/4 back to the returns or back to the inputs 1/2?

Thank you!
james090
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Yes that's right. I think you can probably use either the line input or the return although the line input will accommodate a wider range of levels at the expense of going through more circuitry (but personally I wouldn't worry too much about that).
James Perrett