You are here

How to Find Unique Sounds and Creating My Own Sounds

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: How to Find Unique Sounds and Creating My Own Sounds

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 am

For what it's worth, I've just started working through the Synth Secrets articles and I'd highly recommend doing so if this isn't something you're already familiar with. It will help you make sense of the a lot of the controls and options available so that you're tweaking with intent rather than just twiddling hopefully. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 am

JamesAllenLayman wrote:What is the difference between Kontakt and a virtual instrument bundle such as Native Instruments Komplete or Omnisphere?

Omnisphere is a synth that attempts to be pretty much all you need, it's got multiple modes of synthesis and a huge sound library backing it up. A lot of people swear by it and it's sound design capabilities.

There are other synths like it, however, Steinbergs Halion and UVI's Falcon would both be comparable I think (I use Halion and not Omnisphere, I could be selling one or the other short) and it would likely come down to which workflow you prefer.

Be warned, however, that these synths will all need you to have a grounding in understanding what's going on if you wish to use them in any other fashion than just being a soundbank. When you've got the option to work with multiple synthesis modes, it can get very confusing, very quickly for a new user. That's why it's advisable to learn on a more basic synth first, before trying to combine the different techniques.

Kontakt is a super sampler at its heart and to some degree, a lot of people tend to use it as what I would refer to traditionally as a software Rompler, although that would probably confuse anyone getting into it now! A Rompler in the past was a synth filled with pre-recorded sounds that would often be the bread and butter in the studio (the JV1080 is a legend in this regard) and would probably be akin to a modern-day Fantom or Kronos keyboard which are often popular live options. They might have some synthesis modes too, in fact, they normally do, but the focus is recreating real or popular sounds with ease.

Given you can easily look up Kontakt library suppliers (of which there are thousands) and pick up the ones relevant to your style. If you want Hip Hop style libraries be assured you could spend from now to the end of time auditioning them and likely not get through them all.

NI Komplete has most of the NI software collection in it. This includes Kontakt and if you get the upper tier packages, it involves a metric ton of sound banks too. NI, however, make a number of synths and effects which are also included within the Komplete package. Personally, I find value in it for Reaktor, Massive, Kontakt and a number of the additional effect plugs in there, but this is something you should probably figure out for yourself once you get a grasp on what you're doing as it's a fair outlay upfront.

JamesAllenLayman wrote:If I were to have either of these three things, how would I go about using them to create a basic hip-hop beat or something simple?

You need a sequencer like Ableton/Cubase/Sonar/Pro Tools/Reaper etc... to host the plugins and write your music. If you had Komplete you could use Battery for drum programming or the Kontakt libraries to supply your drum sounds.

You could however just work with samples in your Sequencer timeline for drum arrangement, or use your Sequencer inbuilt tools to handle the sounds. A lot of them have basic samplers built in for example which might prove quicker to use than Kontakt for editing your own sounds but wouldn't give you access to those sound banks.

blinddrew wrote:tweaking with intent

Album name right there...
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby JamesAllenLayman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 am

job wrote:
JamesAllenLayman wrote:.
What is the difference between Kontakt and a virtual instrument bundle such as Native Instruments Komplete or Omnisphere?

If I were to have either of these three things, how would I go about using them to create a basic hip hop beat or something simple?

You could create a beat with some beat making device. Then layer a bass with some bass making device. Then add melodies, hooks and ear candy with a melody, hook and ear candy making device.

Take a read through what's bundled with Komplete if you're interested in it: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -products/ , and you can see what different devices are available to you.

From the top of the page, we have TRK-01, a kick and bass instrument, that can be our initial beat machine because beats generally have kicks in them. Maybe our bass too. Scroll down and we see something called Monark, a "Monophonic synthesizer capturing every sonic nuance of the king of analog". Interesting, let's stick some of that in there. Maybe as bass because analogue bass is fat and cool. We then see Rounds... "complex, sequenced, sound shifting capabilites." Maybe we can use that as a foundation for some melody lines, or some ear candy, who knows! Bung it in, go nuts and have fun.

We then come to sampled instruments, let's play a few of these until we find something we like for our melody.

We then come to Drums and Percussion instruments, i guess we could exchange one of these in place of the TRK. Let's try them out and see. And on it goes...

Are these sounds agreeable to you? I haven't got a clue. It's your music, your choice. And that's the point.

As for differences between things, read their descriptions. Kontakt: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... kontakt-6/ - "The definitive sampling platform". Komplete: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... mplete-12/ - "The worlds leading production suite". Omnisphere: https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/omnisphere/ , is "the flagship synthesizer of Spectrasonics - an instrument of extraordinary power and versatility."

Synthesising sounds comes learning how to synthesise sounds, whether they be 'proper' sounds or electronica noises.

What is the difference between a sampler like the Kontakt mentioned and the idea of sampling where you use a sound from a previous record to drive a new record? Is there a difference? Meaning is it simply an interface to load samples into and then playback as selected?

I have a producer friend with a grammy under his belt and another mutual friend that has been continuing to participate and contribute to the music industry in a meaningful way. I asked the second the same question I posed in the initial post and he told me my answer was basically VSTs. That's an answer I knew already but I've been needing clarification as far as to how they function and their real life application.

A copy of Native Instruments 11 Select is only $200 and I'm thinking about saving up a little and purchasing it as and end all be all I need to try some of this stuff for real option. Komplete 11 itself is almost $500 and Komplete 11 Ultimate is around $1200.

Obviously, spending $1200 on some software that I mostly don't know how to use is out of the question. $500 could happen comfortably with my tax return coming up in February and $200 could get taken care of relatively easily.

My main question would be, is Komplete 11 Select an encapsulating enough product to entice and progress a beginner or am I going to be stuck with a library of generic content like when there's only XXXL shirts left come clearance time at a store? I would very much rather spend the $500 a few months from now and be set up for real.

Thank you guys for your continued assitance. I am blown away at how readily available knowledgable people are on the internet.
JamesAllenLayman
New here

Postby job » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:53 am

JamesAllenLayman wrote:What is the difference between a sampler like the Kontakt mentioned and the idea of sampling where you use a sound from a previous record to drive a new record? Is there a difference? Meaning is it simply an interface to load samples into and then playback as selected?

My main question would be, is Komplete 11 Select an encapsulating enough product to entice and progress a beginner or am I going to be stuck with a library of generic content...

Sampler in reference to Kontakt is a noun. Sampling in reference to its use and how it is created is a verb. There's no necessary, intrinsic difference between the actual sample A and sample B; that is, they are both recordings of a sound. Recordings made by you, by them, by whoever. How you play those samples back, e.g. Kontakt, is a user choice.

I wouldn't consider the sounds that can be created with Komplete select to be generic, although they are popular; Massive, analogue synth, phaser, piano, delay, organ, compressor... these are popular sound devices.

As for whether Komplete is encapsulating enough to entice you to progress i feel only you can answer that. Does the idea of owning it excite you? Or at least interest you? It doesn't interest me, which is why i don't own it. I own Kontakt however.

My advice would be stick with free stuff (there is excellent free stuff about, start with KVR: https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/window ... st-popular ), and then spend money when you know what and why you want something.
job
Regular

Previous