You are here

How to Find Unique Sounds and Creating My Own Sounds

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

How to Find Unique Sounds and Creating My Own Sounds

Postby JamesAllenLayman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi. I mix music and rap. I've barely ever tried to produce or compose anything, but when I have I've used FL Studio. I used to come on this site a long time ago but haven't for a while. I don't know who else to ask or where to put this question. I don't really have anyone to ask in real life.

My question is this. How do producers make and create their own sounds as far as synthesizers, pads, and leads in the production? I'm not talking about drum sounds or loops or anything like that. I'm talking about the melodies and what drives the record. Are there ways to do it on FL Studio with the presets like Ogun and Harmless? Or is it more like you have to buy aftermarket stuff like Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate and it comes with a bunch of custom sounding stuff or tools to create custom sounding stuff? I just straight up don't know.

Answers to these questions and anything extra would be really appreciated. This has been on my mind for months and it makes me feel like I've run into a brick wall mentally. Thank you guys
JamesAllenLayman
New here

Re: How to Find Unique Sounds and Creating My Own Sounds

Postby job » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 am

Sampling can be one way. Any noise can be recorded. You don't have to stick with the original sound but can twist it, morph it, apply effects to it, etc. This will most likely be an original sound.

Another way is to synthesise it. Combine oscillators, filers, effects (and samples), to make an original sound.

You can also start with someone else's sound as a base and change it, either slightly or unrecognisably.

Could make your own instrument.
job
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 am

I wouldn't get too hung up on creating original sounds. Millions have trodden this path before you, so finding something truly unique is a bit of a garden path. Putting sounds together in unique combinations is arguably a better aim, and that comes down to making good arrangements of good material.

But if you really are hitting a wall then maybe it's time to get out of the box and try some hardware?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 am

JamesAllenLayman wrote:
My question is this. How do producers make and create their own sounds as far as synthesizers, pads, and leads in the production? I'm not talking about drum sounds or loops or anything like that. I'm talking about the melodies and what drives the record.

+1 to what the Elf says. What makes a sound new is not the sound, it's how you use it in a composition. Distorted guitars have been used on thousands of tracks, and yet some stand out and some don't.

If your question then becomes how to use the sounds.. well, that's what making music is all about. Usually you want to listen a lot (years, even decades), absorb all the stuff and then do something that goes beyond these influences in some way. Even Mozart did - he just started very young so by the time he was 18 he already had some 15 years of listening and playing experience.. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby JamesAllenLayman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 am

The Elf wrote:I wouldn't get too hung up on creating original sounds. Millions have trodden this path before you, so finding something truly unique is a bit of a garden path. Putting sounds together in unique combinations is arguably a better aim, and that comes down to making good arrangements of good material.

But if you really are hitting a wall then maybe it's time to get out of the box and try some hardware?

Thank you for your reply. I have an Akai Timbre Wolf keyboard with not much of an idea of how to use it I hate to admit.
JamesAllenLayman
New here

Postby JamesAllenLayman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:22 am

job wrote:Sampling can be one way. Any noise can be recorded. You don't have to stick with the original sound but can twist it, morph it, apply effects to it, etc. This will most likely be an original sound.

Another way is to synthesise it. Combine oscillators, filers, effects (and samples), to make an original sound.

You can also start with someone else's sound as a base and change it, either slightly or unrecognisably.

You say synthesize it, add effects and whatever else to make it unique. But my question is more like, where does that initial sound come from to begin with? Stock synths on FL Studio like Ogun and Harmless have a bunch of sounds built into them, but even when they are riddled with effects and whatever else, they are still stock, generic sounds that anyone witha copy of FL Studio can access.

So where do I find unique sounds without sampling? Do I buy virtual instrument bundles like Native Instruments or Omnisphere?
JamesAllenLayman
New here

Postby JamesAllenLayman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:49 am

job wrote:Sampling can be one way. Any noise can be recorded. You don't have to stick with the original sound but can twist it, morph it, apply effects to it, etc. This will most likely be an original sound.

Thank you for your reply. Sampling as a way to get a unique sound I understand.

You talk about synthesizing and adding filters and effects and what not. My question is, before any effects or filters or oscillators are even added, where does that initial sound come from? FL Studio comes with synths like Ogun and Harmless that have a bunch of sounds built in, but even with effects and filters they are still generic, stock sounds that anyone who has the program can access and use.

So where do sounds come from that aren't stock like the ones in Ogun and Harmless? Do you have to buy big virtual instrument bundles like Native Instruments and Omnisphere?
JamesAllenLayman
New here

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:57 am

My advice is to stop worrying about how unique you can be for the moment and take some time to learn how basic synthesis works.

I've not used the Timbre Wolf, but I've taken a look at the manual. Typical of many modern devices it hides a lot behind a few controls, shift buttons and the like. I have to say that it doesn't look a good device to learn on, and given your lack of experience, I'm not surprised you don't know how it works!

A basic hardware synth, such as a Novation Bass Station or the like would be a good way to learn. Failing that a simple plug-in synth would at least get you on your way.

With the best will in the world, I would say that Ogun and Harmless (and I've only glimpsed a couple of pics to see what they're about) are beyond you at this stage. There are plenty of far simpler free plug-ins that would more suit a learner; TAL-BassLine would be good for starters.

Just be patient. You're trying to run, but at the moment you need to learn to walk!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.