You are here

Pops and Clicks Gradually Getting Stronger - Can you help?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Pops and Clicks Gradually Getting Stronger - Can you help?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Yep, should be downloadable I think.
Otherwise you'll just have to use the channel monitor button on reaper.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm not sure the 2i2 has it as it's a pretty basic 2 in/2 out box. I couldn't see it listed in the software bundle. You can hear the microphone inputs without the signal having to pass into Reaper then out again, by using the 'direct monitor' switch on the front of the unit .
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 am

Once you have the drivers sorted out and Reaper optimized I think you can ignore the MixControl software? (I have never bothered with it with my 8i6 but then I hardly ever bother with the 8i6!)

The 2i2 has a Direct Monitoring switch so I would assume the signal will be routed either from inside the AI or back from Reaper?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am

Ah right, missed that. DM is the much easier option, thanks folks.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Piskeh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

ef37a wrote:Once you have the drivers sorted out and Reaper optimized I think you can ignore the MixControl software? (I have never bothered with it with my 8i6 but then I hardly ever bother with the 8i6!)

The 2i2 has a Direct Monitoring switch so I would assume the signal will be routed either from inside the AI or back from Reaper?

Dave.

I would love for the audio to be routed back from REAPER, but I might have to settle with DM. I'll just have to figure that part out. This afternoon hopefully I'll try everything you all suggested and get back with some answers.

Thanks for the help!
Piskeh
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

You can have the input audio routed back from Reaper, but there will always be a slight delay due to latency if you enable the monitoring for that channel in Reaper. Add any insert FX on that channel whilst recording and the latency will get worse. Reverb as a send FX is fine as it doesn't add extra latency and any slight delay in the start of reverb won't be noticeable, whilst it can still help you if you are singing. What you don't want is direct monitoring on at the same time as you have the Reaper channel for that input on at the same time, or you'll get noticeable comb filtering on the sound in your headphones.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Piskeh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Wonks wrote:You can have the input audio routed back from Reaper, but there will always be a slight delay due to latency if you enable the monitoring for that channel in Reaper. Add any insert FX on that channel whilst recording and the latency will get worse. Reverb as a send FX is fine as it doesn't add extra latency and any slight delay in the start of reverb won't be noticeable, whilst it can still help you if you are singing. What you don't want is direct monitoring on at the same time as you have the Reaper channel for that input on at the same time, or you'll get noticeable comb filtering on the sound in your headphones.

Gotcha, my main concerns are being able to hear input before I record to make sure stuff works, hear output after I record it to master etc, and being able to hear the metronome and back tracks while I'm recording so I should be good there.

Thanks!
Piskeh
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Great. :thumbup: Hope it all works out for you and those pops and clicks disappear. If you continue to have trouble, then you may need to look at some of Pete Kaine's suggestions to see if there are any programs that are taking up all the processor time. But the correct ASIO driver and 44.1kHz or 48kHz 24-bit recording should really make things a lot easier for you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Piskeh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Wonks wrote:Great. :thumbup: Hope it all works out for you and those pops and clicks disappear. If you continue to have trouble, then you may need to look at some of Pete Kaine's suggestions to see if there are any programs that are taking up all the processor time. But the correct ASIO driver and 44.1kHz or 48kHz 24-bit recording should really make things a lot easier for you.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate all the willingly helpful people y'all got here. :D
Piskeh
Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Hope you are sorted soon. Note, one of the things that is notorious for causing audio problems is any kind of wireless kit. You might need to disable wireless adaptors in Control Panel>Device Manager but before you do any such hacking, set a Restore point.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Piskeh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 pm

ef37a wrote:Hope you are sorted soon. Note, one of the things that is notorious for causing audio problems is any kind of wireless kit. You might need to disable wireless adaptors in Control Panel>Device Manager but before you do any such hacking, set a Restore point.

Dave.

Wow, wireless adapters can cause problems like that? I'll try disabling mine and see if that helps at all.
Thanks!
Piskeh
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am

As can pretty much any other device in there, if it has an errant driver. The tests I mentioned previously would tell us if this is indeed the case, rather than you spending your time turning stuff on and off blindly.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Piskeh » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm recording in 44.1khz and that seems to have alleviated the noise I was getting. Thank you all for your help! Also, I am now using the Focusrite plugin, and I did find out how to set it up as an output device as well as an input device. So, that takes care of pretty much all of my problems now!

Happy recording!
Steve
Piskeh
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Great stuff! :thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Previous