You are here

Switching on UAD plugins

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Switching on UAD plugins

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I am setting up a control surface (BCR2000) to open and use my UAD plugins. I use Cubase 8.5

Basically I am trying to 'make' my own Console 1. Everything works except......

I have the plugin listed amongst the inserts, top of the list, on say audio track 1, and when I press the button on the controller the plug in opens, in 'edit' mode with the plugin 'turned on', the blue light showing.

But on first opening I have to press the button that opens the edit mode twice, after that just once, on/off

But none of the rotary control work unless I open a second instance of the same plug in, put it on the next track and that too is opening but not responding, but if I go back to track one, and alter one of the controls for the plugs, it then responds and then I go to track 2 and the plugin responds, and I have to go through that routine track by track.

The plugin seems to open in a dormant state and only opening a second instance of the plugin 'wakes' it.

I do have a full Mackie Controller and using that I do not get the problem, but because of the number of controls on some of the plugins it is a faff having to page through the controls whereas the BCR2000 has more than enough rotaries to access all of the controls without stepping through the pages.

ANy ideas anyone?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Switching on UAD plugins

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 pm

blinddrew wrote:Not sure if this will help: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... rip-cubase

Thanks, as it happens it was that article that set me off on the mission, I was the point of buying and thought hang on a minute, all the Softube is a hardware front end to a plugin.

Anyway, I found a work around and all I did was create a new audio/vst track, set everything up and duplicate the track and to my delight - all the settings for that track are duplicated too. Why didn't I think of that before DUH :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ramirez » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm

OneWorld wrote:I was the point of buying and thought hang on a minute, all the Softube is a hardware front end to a plugin

That £100 off nearly got you eh?

I’ve gone for it... but I’m now having doubts because as I work on a Surface Pro, I already have a decent touchscreen. After ordering I set up a couple of touch-friendly plugins (eq and comp), and assigned a button on my Alphatrack to call them up on the current track. It works nicely, and I don’t know why I hadn’t tried that earlier.

The Console 1 is due to arrive within the hour... we’ll see if it’s going back or not.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:19 pm

OneWorld wrote:Thanks, as it happens it was that article that set me off on the mission,
Ha! Yep, me too, but on Reaper instead. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...