You are here

windows 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

windows 10

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

https://www.howtogeek.com/395121/window ... ng-system/

I wonder what the Great&Good of SoS peeps make of the above?

I am rather worried because I have invested the best part of £500 on a W10 laptop for son for his music. He is an excellent musician but not very PC cute. Is he going to have ongoing problems with Ten?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: windows 10

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am

Every day we get these 'the sky is falling' stories. I've not had a single problem related to Win 10, and from what I can tell I'm in the vast majority...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am

Whilst I'd agree with the core thrust of the article (it's a PC operating system, not a service), I've been a user of W10 since it's pre-release trial and the only issues I've ever had are that the major releases use up the installation incidences for my focusrite software. But focusrite are always superhelpful about resetting it and besides, W7 used to do that too.

P.S. I thought I'd had an issue with an update causing Reaper to forget the location of all my plug-ins but that turned out to be a PICNIC error. :oops:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mixedup » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 am

The Elf wrote:Every day we get these 'the sky is falling' stories. I've not had a single problem related to Win 10, and from what I can tell I'm in the vast majority...

I must be the W10 yang to your W10 yin :lol:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am

It's an opinion. They're a dime a dozen.

The idea of frequent small incremental updates vs big bang releases or even rare large patches has been around for a while now. Like everything, it has pro and cons. In many contexts, the pros in generally are more than the cons - it matches the reality that tech changes so fast these days that systems are never "finished", and allows for much better response to customer feedback in which features or bugfixes to prioritize. A computer is not a guitar - it has a myriad different uses and can be customized to do completely different things.. in some respect, frequent changes are good for that; in others, they are bad. That's really all that there's to say, the rest is fluff to fill blogs or magazines with.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:37 am

" the only issues I've ever had are that the major releases use up the installation incidences for my focusrite software. But focusrite are always superhelpful about resetting it and besides, W7 used to do that too."

Ah! Now, THAT ^ is the very sort of thing I am afraid of. He has bought the DVD version of Samplitude Pro X 3 and if that gets borked by an update, Magix would be well withing their rights to suspect him of flogging Pro X3 rips all around the northern coast of France!

You get the right to have the software on 3 machine iirc and after that you have to ask and if asking becomes a bi-annual event?

As for W7 "doing that"? I have had various DAWs on various machines with W7 for around ten years, never had to request a new activation post a W7 update that I can recall?

Just had an idea that is either brilliant (for an old Bottle Jockey) or completely stupid. Is there some form of "code" in a PC that could identify it to a software company such as Magix?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 pm

ef37a wrote:As for W7 "doing that"? I have had various DAWs on various machines with W7 for around ten years, never had to request a new activation post a W7 update that I can recall?
It literally only happens with that software. All my other plugins are fine.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am

ef37a wrote:As for W7 "doing that"? I have had various DAWs on various machines with W7 for around ten years, never had to request a new activation post a W7 update that I can recall?

I've been locked out of Sonarworks twice by Windows 7 updating and needed to request a new key, although It doesn't happen to anyone else I know who runs it. It's probably some combination of software not playing nicely together along with the update making changes in the background, but I've not been motivated enough to run through the troubleshooting process involved in figuring out what that might be.

It's probably just time to spring clean the past decade worth of software thats installed on there to be honest, although at this point I'm just putting it off until I build a new machine and then I'll just start again.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am

Pete Kaine wrote:It's probably just time to spring clean the past decade worth of software thats installed on there to be honest, although at this point I'm just putting it off until I build a new machine and then I'll just start again.

Do you want any help choosing a new PC? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Wonks wrote:Do you want any help choosing a new PC? :D

I'm currently thinking of growing out my beard again and going DAWless...
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby resistorman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:17 am

Win 10 has been fine on my Win 10 pro main machines which delay updates as long as possible, but it really screwed my win 10 home laptop over the last two major updates. The HDMI port stopped working. Some major software wouldn't even install. Weird crashes. I finally got it to where it works and downloaded a utility to stop all updates. If you're a home user, you are a beta tester.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com