You are here

I can't stop my latency problems (Latency mon info report included)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

I can't stop my latency problems (Latency mon info report included)

Postby Ojustaboo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi all, apologies for the length, trying to enclose as much info as possible.

Having problems with latency. It sounds like a static type crackle, cant seem to get to the root of the cause. Doesn't matter if I'm listening through my monitors or my headphones (both plugged into my Pro24).

It doesn't matter if I set my buffer low or high, sure if I set it to 2048 there's a noticeable wait between me pressing the key and the sound playing, but whether I set it to 2048 or I set it to just 32. the crackle still keeps appearing :(

Running Latency monitor shows problems. Please see attached info and pics at end of post:

Before I ran it this time, I unplugged my Focusrite Pro24 firewire lead, I went into the BIOS and disabled the firewire port. I exited out of malewarebytes, mouse software etc etc etc. Only thing I left running was Avast, but I disabled all shields until next reboot.

Getting exactly the same result as when the pro24 was plugged in and enabled, and when I left all software running.

Sometimes I can play just 2 or 3 notes before it does it, other times it does it after about a min or more. I've been putting up with it for months, but really want to get to the bottom of it.

It doesn't matter what software I'm running, stand alone Arturia, NI, Reaper, UVI etc.

All drives are SSD. All plugged into 6GB Sata apart from drive F

C (System) drive is a Corsair Neutron GTX
D (Documents, Pics, Vids), E (More Programs) & K drive (Email) are on Samsung 860 Evo
G (Games) Samsung 860 Evo
H (Music software and samples) Samsung 860 Evo
F ( Steam Library as in Games not Spectronics) SanDisk SSD Plus

Intel Core i7 3820 a2011 3600 MHz
Asus P9X79 Socket 2011 ATX Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

Highpoint Rocket 620 (R620) 2 channel Internal PCI-e v2 x1 to SATA 6Gb/s non-RAID controller card

XFX RADEON RX480 Black Edition OC 8GB

Corsair 750 Watt HX750i Fully Modular ATX PSU/Power Supply
Archon SB-E X2 CPU Cooler

Hardwired, no wireless

MB Network Adapter Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
Interface Type Gigabit Ethernet
Connection Speed 1 Gbps
MTU 1500 bytes

Dell U2713HM Main monitor
BenQ GW2470H 2nd Monitor

Win 10 Pro 64 Ver 1809 (OS Build 17763.195)

Power Settings:
High Performance
Turn off HD: Never
Internet explorer Javascript Timer freq: Max performance (never use IE)
Desktop background settings/Slideshow: Paused
Wireless Adapter Power Sav mode: Max Perf (don't have one)
All sleep options set to never or off
Allow wake timers: Enabled
USB Selective suspend setting: Disabled
PCI Express Link State PM: Off
Processor PM: Min 100%, System cooling policy: Active: Max: 100%
Display: Turn off after 15 mins
Mult media:
When sharing media: Prevent sleep,
Video playback quality bias: Video playback performance bias
When playing Video: Optimise video quality

Some of my BIOS settings:

Azaila HD Ausio: Disabled

Intel Lan controller: Enabled
Intel Lan PXE OPROM: Disabled

VIA 1394 controller: Enabled (although it was disabled whan I ran the attached Latency monitor info)

ASMedia USB 3.0 Controller: Enabled
Asmedia USB 3.0 Battery Charge Support: Disabled

ASM Storage Controller: Enabled
Hot PLug: Disabled

Serial Port: Disabled

CPU Q-Fan Control: Enabled
CPU Fan Speed Low Limit: 400
CPU Profile: Silent

AI O/C Tuner: Auto

CPU Core Ratio: Sync all cores
CPU 1 (same for 2 -4) ratio Limit Auto

Dram Freq: DDR3 1600Mhz

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

EIST: Disabled

Turbo Mode: Disabled.

---------------------------------
Latency Monitor report
Code: Select all
__
Latancy Monitor Stats

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:34  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DADS
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17763 (x64)
Hardware:                                             ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P9X79
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  32709 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3611 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   68.50
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   3.058874

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       66.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       0.729665

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              6.001662
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.002338
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.002338

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   5504
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              5791.469399
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.006118
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.024458

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   75536
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 avastsvc.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       52
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          29
Number of processes hit:                              9

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.354605
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.001662
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.017727
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      5504
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                101.875381
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.122782
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      70114
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.045596
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                15.486015
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000336
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      104
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.060424
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                87.631127
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001599
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      689
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.041719
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                15.518139
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000367
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      115
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.276823
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                5791.469399
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.056369
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      3165
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.035006
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                13.474384
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000546
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      184
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.060991
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                14.697314
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001873
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      653
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.048371
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                16.572695
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001551
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      520

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ojustaboo
Regular

Re: I can't stop my latency problems (Latency mon info report included)

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Have you tried disabling the network completely?

Is the Via Firewire chip on the approved list for your interface? If not, you may need to buy yourself a Firewire card that uses a TI chipset.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Watchmaker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:50 pm

"USB Selective suspend setting: Disabled"

Have you disabled USB root hub power management via device manager?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Ojustaboo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Many thanks both of you.

Someone on Tenforums suggested I try running with no usb devices (I did this before I read your replies)

End result is it must be the Ethernet port/cable/network

I ran Latency Mon with no USB devices except mouse (and Ethernet cable) it still failed.

Then I tried it with just the mouse and NO Ethernet cable, left it running for over 5 mins, 100% fine.

Then I plugged the Ethernet cable back in, failed within 10 secs.

Then I plugged back in all USB devices and turned them all on, but unplugged the Ethernet cable, Latency Mon 100% fine after 5 mins

Plugged the Ethernet cable back in and Latency Mon failed again.

So I've found whats causing the problem, now to find the solution :)
Ojustaboo
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:59 am

Ojustaboo wrote:So I've found whats causing the problem, now to find the solution :)

I usually disable Ethernet while I'm recording - in fact my main studio computer has no network connection at all.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ojustaboo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks, I'll do that when I'm recording too.

When I have say your training vids on one monitor and playing around with the synth on another, I need the connection, likewise if I'm trying to play a tune from youtube (although the noise isn't too off putting in those situations)

I have bigger problems now :) Unplugged all my USB to run tests in previous posts, plugged them all back in etc. Hadn't tried rebooting until today when it refuses to boot, goes into windows self repair mode, then it reboots into windows fine, but if I reboot, same cycle happens.

Not had any problems before, I have toe only 2 USB 3 things in usb sockets, so not sure why moving things to other USB sockets would cause such a problem.

Now I need to take them all out, try rebooting etc to work out which one of those is causing the problem :)

Worst case scenario I have an external drive with everything backed up on including a 300+ gb trueimage disk image of my main drives (not docs or games) so I will be fine whatever.
Ojustaboo
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am

NDIS is the network sub-system and testing just means turning off wi-fi/Bluetooth/Ethernet and re-enabling and testing. Seems you got that far, so as long as you've narrowed it down to a single device then that's the answer. Find out the controller chip that the network port is using and get the latest build from the manufacturer... not the mainboard maker, but the network controller maker itself.

You can use a tool like "Belarc advisor" or "Speccy" to identify it or it might list it under hardware specs in the mainboard manual. The mainboard makers tend to stop updating the drivers on their site when the board goes end of life, so getting the latest from the chip maker normally pays dividends when it comes to working nicely with later system service packs.

If that doesn't solve it for you, head into the BIOS, disable the onboard network port and get a drop in Intel 1000 network card of some description. Normally about £20 and works with pretty much everything smoothly.

On a side note and whilst it doesn't seem to be the key issue here, some software updates can appear under the NDIS heading due to them impacting the network load. Uninstalling Nvidia "Experience" or AMD "catalyst" (GPU updaters and not needed day to day) can sometimes help lower the latency time, as can disabling your Anti-virus in some cases although it's nowhere near as common as it once was. I don't recommend removing them completely, but in the event that the network port change doesn't fully solve it, it'll give you a second avenue to check over.

The USB issue that's occurred is unfortunate. If you've got USB storage, then I'd look at pulling that first and seeing if you can get it stable with everything else first. Hopefully, you can boot in and reattach things a few devices at a time and work that one out. Some older USB devices don't like handshaking on newer USB3 based ports, so that might be related to what your seeing currently.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Ojustaboo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks, going to do a clean install of windows.

1 question.

5 sata3 ssds.

2 on rocket pcie card
2 on mb sata 3
1 on mb sata 2

Would i be better off getting another 4 port pcie sata and moving those 3 from my mb, or I've heard I can get a second hand Dell SAS card flash it with IT sw and run 8 drives (hence all my ssds) from the one card?

That way I can disable both internal sata controllers saving resources?

Thanks
Ojustaboo
Regular

Postby Ojustaboo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Someone on another forum suggested checking if the Ethernet driver was up to date as an updated one was released in December.

Sure enough, updating it in device manager and all is 100% fine.

I've since done a clean install, added a 4 port pcie sata controller, all also working fine.
Ojustaboo
Regular