You are here

Behringer X32 Rack as an audio interface

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Behringer X32 Rack as an audio interface

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm

I have noticed a new X32 rack can be bought for around £635ish, and if used as a DAW audio interface, you're getting a mixer/efx unit/ and more importantly 32/io, stereo recording, the nearest I can find to that is the RME UFX which costs at least twice as much.

Is it feasible to use an X32 Rack as an audio interface? After all, it has MIDAS preamps etc, at first glance it seems an incredible cheap 32io interface, or am I missing something?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Behringer X32 Rack as an audio interface

Postby Janneman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Yes, you can use it as a interface. Search youtube.
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Janneman wrote:Yes, you can use it as a interface. Search youtube.

I always end up watching cute cats doing all manner of things like playing the bagpipes to taking on Vlad the Impaler and other 'greatest, bestest, biggest, most amazing, 10 surefire steps to change the world' clickdigger channels, whereas I come to SOS to see if anyone has any useful info so as I don't get distracted :-)

Actually I had been watching some x32 rack stuff on PooTube and that's what brought me here, for informed knowledge. Thanks anyway.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Janneman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Janneman wrote:Try this video. https://youtu.be/PBSZtV7jUE8

Thanks but all that shakycam vid shows is setting one up, not how it performs eg latency, quality of effects etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm

I use an X32 Compact as my audio interface and it's great. I'd venture the preamps are not as good as in the RME but they are probably more than a match than my room, mic collection and talent.

This article debunks many of the myths about exotic preamps and is well worth a read.

BTW having the moving faders and 'channel strip' controls on the Compact (or Producer) is IMO well worth the extra cost especially as it can also work as a DAW controller.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I use an X32 Compact as my audio interface and it's great. I'd venture the preamps are not as good as in the RME but they are probably more than a match than my room, mic collection and talent.

This article debunks many of the myths about exotic preamps and is well worth a read.

BTW having the moving faders and 'channel strip' controls on the Compact (or Producer) is IMO well worth the extra cost especially as it can also work as a DAW controller.

How do you go on for transport controls, as there are none on the X32s?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)