You are here

Creating disc image

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Creating disc image

Postby Zukan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 am

After 2 epic crashes on my pc with Win 10 refusing to recognise the disc image backup I created I have decided to bite the bullet and buy something like Macrium or Acronis.

I am a bit of a muppet so need a software that is idiot proof.
Which disc cloning etc software would you recommend and how easy is it to use?
Zukan

Re: Creating disc image

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:32 am

I still trust Acronis. That said, it's a lot of years since I had to *recover* from an Acronis image, so I'm not up on how easy it is to do that part - the backup is simple enough. Typically what I most often use my backup for is to mount it as a drive image and recover specific files.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 am

Zukan wrote:After 2 epic crashes on my pc with Win 10 refusing to recognise the disc image backup I created I have decided to bite the bullet and buy something like Macrium or Acronis.

I am a bit of a muppet so need a software that is idiot proof.
Which disc cloning etc software would you recommend and how easy is it to use?

I use Macrium Reflect Free and the free version offers so many options that I cannot see a need for the bought version (please don't read this Macrium lol) I used to carry a torch for Acronis but found it getting more and more restricted and less reliable. That being said it could indeed have improved since I stopped using it and went over to Macrium which I have found easy to use, utterly reliable. In fact I am using it at the moment to restore my Win10 Downloads folder which a WIn10 update has wiped clean :-(

Whichever you choose get into the habit of doing regular backups. I also use some backup software called Syncback Free. I am sometimes amazed at the quality of some of this freeware available - Syncback Free offers a one click backup (not imaging by the way) solution which I have put a link to on the backup and at the end of an important session, click the button and off it goes. Sometimes getting to a single folder/file can be a bit of a fag if you're getting at the folder/file from a mounted image.

Another standard practice is put all your data on a separate drive, OS and Apps on C: all data on D: or whatever other drive. Sometimes imaging can fail, as I found with Acronis, but if the data is safe on another drive, it's no big deal.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks for the advice chaps.
Zukan

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 am

File level backup solutions like that OneWorld mentioned are very good: they are faster copying only files that have changed and some solutions supports even multiple versions of a file, excellent for work files.
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby scw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:46 am

I'm a fan of Macrium. I have had no issues at all with it and find it considerably faster than Acronis in performing backups.

Stewart
scw
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Macrium came to my rescue again this week! And of course there are alternatives, Acronis, EaseUs to name 2, where I sometimes have a problem with SSD's but did an experiment today and Macrium would restore to one, and OCZ, but did restore to the other - Toshiba on my music pc I have a Samsung EVO and never had a problem restoring to that, I believe there is an issue with having to 'trim' the device, I'm not sure what that does though, the answer will be on t'internet no doubt.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am

TRIM arrived during the W7 lifecycle, so you might need to enable it if you're not on a later OS build of that OS. Anything later through it should already be the default, but you can Google up ways of checking. TRIM is the drive cleaning and optimization process that ensures that it gets its maximum life span.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby IvanSC » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:31 am

Ed: I just bought a new Samsung SSD & tried to clone my existing HDD with their Nagician software which as always worked fine in the past. I flaked out on me, saying my brand new Samsung drive was "not supported" so after several tries I ended up using Easeus todo (free) but have used Acronis and Macriumin the past on other peoples machines as well as my own. None of them are that straightforward, but none of them are rocket surgery, either. I would suggest trying the Easeus freebie as it is one of the free ones that will actually allow tyou to do afull clone of your system disk. If you get stuck, give me a shout - FB/Messenger would be best.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!