You are here

Piano One VSTi in Reaper

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Piano One VSTi in Reaper

Postby Pat Nghia Long » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:17 am

Hello,
I am using Reaper running on windows 10.
I have been trying to install the famous free VSTi Piano called NeoPiano (previously "Piano One) from Sound Magic.
But Reaper doesn't seem to see it.
In the explorer, I do see a "Neo_Piano_x64.dll" file appearing in my plugins directory, along with other VST instruments.
I also copied the "Piano1.ins" (925+ MB) file into the same dir.,
since the install process doesn't seem to do so.
But try as I may to scan for new plugins, restart Reaper, Piano1/Neo Piano does not appear in my VSTi list, nor in the general plugin list. Not a trace of it, Reaper doesn't see it.
I was wondering has anybody encountered such difficulties with this VSTi or another one, and where I should look to try to fix this.
Many thanks in advance.
Regards,
Pat
Pat Nghia Long
Regular
Patrick 

Re: Piano One VSTi in Reaper

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 am

Have you asked on the Reaper forum Pat?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:02 am

Could it possible that the install did not put the VSTi's DLL file in one of your scanned locations?

Try searching for it in file explorer and check that its location is in one of your scanned locations. It may well be in the install folder for the VSTi in C\programs. If it is not in one of your scanned folders, you can simply move the DLL file to an existing scanned location or add that folder location to reaper's list for scanning.

Often VSTi that require a full installation with other support files beyond the DLL itself do not default the install location to the 'normal' VSTi locations... I've fallen foul of that one myself before!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 am

Sorry, scratch that - I just re-read you post properly!

:headbang:

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 am

Not something I've encountered, if I get time I'll have a look installing this weekend and see if I get the same result (I'm also a Reaper and Win10 user).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 am

Only the .dll needs to be in your normal plugins directory. If you've moved the other files after installation, then the .dll won't be looking in the right place for the files.

I don't know Reaper, but if it tests each plugin to see if it works before adding it to the list of plugins, then I can understand why it's not showing up.

So I'd re-install the plugin. If it lets you change location during installation of files other than the main .dll, then do so then, not afterwards. But if all you can do is set the main plug-in file location, then do that, leaver everything else where it puts it and see if that works.

It's free, so you may have to live with the installer's limitations.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 pm

You can also check if some other DAW is correctly loading the plugin, to diagnose if its a Reaper thing. There's lots of free tools that loads VST's.
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download