You are here

Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby Rhys Llewellyn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm

I'm currently torn between the 2i2 and the 2i4. The only reason I'd consider the 2i4 is if it offers better perfromance, MIDI wise.

I have a Midisport 1x1 which I can use to cater for my devices which don't offer native USB MIDI, but does that come at any performance cost at all? I would go so far as to propose that, if anything, having a dedicated separate channel would be better? (i.e. offloading some of the data from the 2i2 USB channel). Is this the case, also considering how old the Midisport is?

Thank you.
Rhys Llewellyn
Regular
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:I'm currently torn between the 2i2 and the 2i4. The only reason I'd consider the 2i4 is if it offers better perfromance, MIDI wise.

I have a Midisport 1x1 which I can use to cater for my devices which don't offer native USB MIDI, but does that come at any performance cost at all? I would go so far as to propose that, if anything, having a dedicated separate channel would be better? (i.e. offloading some of the data from the 2i2 USB channel). Is this the case, also considering how old the Midisport is?

MIDI ports operate at a fixed, slow, speed. The only potential difference in MIDI performance would be down to the driver, and whether it (and your host/OS) supports MIDI timestamping.

Otherwise, you're not going to notice any difference at all in MIDI performance.

If you are cramming too much data down one MIDI port to give timing problems, then you should really invest in a multi-port MIDI interface, and give your MIDI gear independent MIDI ports, which will fix that problem.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8588
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby Rhys Llewellyn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks very much, Desmond :)

I think I was a little vague with my objectives. I only ever intend to use MIDI with one instrument at any given time. It'll either be a controller keyboard or my Roland drum kit.

Given what you've said, I'll save myself 30 odd quid and go with the 2i2 then.

The only unforeseen obstacle right now is if drivers are even availaible for Win 7/10, it's that old!
Rhys Llewellyn
Regular
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:I only ever intend to use MIDI with one instrument at any given time. It'll either be a controller keyboard or my Roland drum kit.

Then you really have the simplest of requirements and MIDI performance is simply not an issue with your use case - so you can relax! :)

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:The only unforeseen obstacle right now is if drivers are even availaible for Win 7/10, it's that old!

You should be able to check driver compatibility on the manufacturer's website...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8588
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 am

Save 30 quid? I wouldn't. You cannot know what curves W10 is going to throw in the future. I have a 2496 card and even on W7 some functions have disappeared since a W10 trial and roll back. I did have the card working as a playback device on W10 but did not investigate further. Went back to 7 PDQ!

If cash is THAT tight, go for the Steinberg UR22 Mkll Even cheaper than the 2i2! At least with a current AI you stand some chance of drivers keeping pace with W10's antics.

Others here (Pete K?) might be able to suggest other cost effective AIs with MIDI?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10217
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby James Perrett » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:23 pm

A basic USB MIDI driver is built in to the Windows 10 operating system so I don't think you'll have any problems with older interfaces provided they are class compliant. I'd actually be more worried about driver availability from Steinberg/Yamaha than Focusrite as the've been known to drop products without warning whereas driver support from Focusrite seems fairly good (at least my 10 year old Focusrite interface still has drivers for Windows 10).
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8018
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby Wonks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Focusrite are just as guilty of dropping products, which is why I'll never buy a Focusrite product that involves software. Not sure Steinberg have dropped product support since Yamaha took over, though certainly guilty of it before.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8612
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MIDI be any faster than my old USB M-Audio Midisport 1x1?

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Wonks wrote:Focusrite are just as guilty of dropping products, which is why I'll never buy a Focusrite product that involves software. Not sure Steinberg have dropped product support since Yamaha took over, though certainly guilty of it before.

We can't *&^%$g win can we Wonks?!! The only really safe bet is RME. I did look up the Tascam 2X2, gets a good rep all over and just over £100 and I understand peeps are still using the US 1641 with W10?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10217
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users