You are here

Spreading Your Music Across Networked Computers

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Spreading Your Music Across Networked Computers

Postby Hobbes » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 am

Martin Walker did a very good article called Spreading Your Music Across Networked Computers way back in 2005.

I've a few PCs lying about that could be put to some good use and take some of the load off my main PC. Has anyone got a set-up using multiple PCs that they'd like to share how they've put it together?

Martin, any chance you could re-visit the article and bring it up to date?

Thanks
Hobbes
Poster

Re: Spreading Your Music Across Networked Computers

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 am

I am interested in this and did dabble a bit at the time but being a PC clod never got anything to work!

I suspect not many people did? The idea seems to have gone cold now that blistering i7 and better PCs are about not to mention SSDs? Probably the best answer would be to put samples and such on a 500G SSD connected by USB 3.0 or faster?

Oh! And whatever happened to ReWire?

Coor! Just looked up some SSDs? 500G for just over a nifty. Samsung for just 80 quid (hmm? Dad's day is not THAT far off....)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Temp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm

I've just recently installed FX Teleport (which is now free) and it works a treat (Win 7 <=> Win 7 over LAN). It comes as a client/server type set up, so I've now got all my RAM/CPU-heavy plugins running on a machine that's separate from the one that hosts my DAW. I was initially concerned about latency, and although there's a bit when triggering via the keyboard, everything's bang-on time during playback. I suspect the latency would be even less over a Gigabit network, but mine has been choked to 100 Meg due to the (s)lowest common denominator (that being my hardware firewall).

You might have issues under a 64-bit DAW, and I don't know how well it performs with a bridge (if at all), so your mileage may vary.

http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/download.html

The serial code to activate it can be found under the 'Purchase' page:

http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/purchase.html

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby Hobbes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Cool thanks I’ll check that out.
Hobbes
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 pm

It might be worth saying that Reaper has this feature built in - look for ReaMote.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 am

Temp, you say "hardware firewall" what hardware?
Are the two computers in the same room? If they both have a gigabit NIC in them, AFAIK you can just link them with a Gbit Ethernet cable?

You needed a crossover cable in the past but not now I don't think.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Temp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm

James Perrett wrote:It might be worth saying that Reaper has this feature built in - look for ReaMote.

Aah, thanks, I wasn't aware of this. My trusty old Cubase is only 32-bit but I occasionally use Reaper 64-bit for more demanding projects so I'll definitely be looking into this.

ef37a wrote:Temp, you say "hardware firewall" what hardware?
Are the two computers in the same room? If they both have a gigabit NIC in them, AFAIK you can just link them with a Gbit Ethernet cable?

You needed a crossover cable in the past but not now I don't think.

Dave.

Aye, they've both got Gigabit NIC cards, but only one each, which is needed for my LAN and internet. The firewall is a fairly old 8-port gigabit Netgear one which acts as a hub for the whole house (incl. WiFi access points), and I also use its VPNs for work. Annoyingly, I just assumed it would be gigabit throughout, but its WAN > LAN throughput is pretty naff (<100Mb/s), which is what I'm guessing is lowering the whole LAN's speed (I've tried numerous attempts but my machines refuse to connect at a gigabit). It's high time I upgraded it, but it's so nicely configured that I'm a bit reluctant. I'm still considering buying a couple of extra NIC cards solely for audio networking though.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Temp wrote:(I've tried numerous attempts but my machines refuse to connect at a gigabit)

This doesn't sound right. Are you using decent Cat5E or Cat6 cables? It might also be worth trying a separate gigabit switch.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Worth buying a gigabit switch for the home network then just connect that to your firewall device for external connections? They are just so cheap these days!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Temp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Wonks wrote:Worth buying a gigabit switch for the home network then just connect that to your firewall device for external connections? They are just so cheap these days!

Yeah, that might be the cheapest way to go for the time being. I've just been hunting around for wired firewall/routers with decent WAN > LAN throughput (at least 150 Mbps) that won't break the bank. It seems that a lot of manufacturer's published speeds need to be at least halved due to the up/down duplex split, and the throughput rates when using firewall, VPN or port forwarding features are usually buried deep in the small print, and considerably lower. I should've scrutinised the numbers a little more when I bought my current 'gigabit' router.

I'm a stickler for wired connections (perhaps under the wrong impression that they're more stable), but have most folks gone wireless these days?
Temp
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 pm

Wireless is always a pain on a music computer as you really need to disable it when working on the music. Wired still puts a lot less overhead on the system AFAIC (as well as being a lot faster).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 am

Yep, I'm in the wired camp too. More secure, more reliable, faster, and doesn't eat into the wireless spectrum so there is more available for things like phones and tablets that were designed to be wireless only.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra