You are here

Today I shall mostly be backing up...

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Today I shall mostly be backing up...

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:10 am

Powered up the PC this morning to the fan running at max and this little error message:

A quick google suggests that it might be as simple as replacing the CMOS battery but I figured I'd ask the collective brains on here if they'd encountered anything similar or had alternative diagnoses.
Since F1 has got the machine running, in the meantime I shall be doing my overdue back-ups...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Today I shall mostly be backing up...

Postby OneWorld » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:39 pm

blinddrew wrote:Powered up the PC this morning to the fan running at max and this little error message:

A quick google suggests that it might be as simple as replacing the CMOS battery but I figured I'd ask the collective brains on here if they'd encountered anything similar or had alternative diagnoses.
Since F1 has got the machine running, in the meantime I shall be doing my overdue back-ups...

Wise move, 1st rule of happy computing - back up, 2nd rule of happy computing - back up, 3rd rule of computing.....guess you know by now!

That error is almost certainly the cmos battery on its way out, especially considering your BIOS is an old 2009 thingy
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:43 pm

I had to replace the battery last year on a computer of a similar vintage. I had a whole bunch of files dated 2008 which really confused Syncback.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:46 pm

I shall be having a shufti once the back-up has finished. I'm assuming it's as simple as popping a battery in and out?
On the downside, this is stopping me sorting out the midi timing for my drum part.
On the upside, this is stopping me sorting out the midi timing for my drum part... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm

This update brought to you by bolloxthatdidn'tworkletsgowatchtherugbyandthinkaboutplanB
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Ah, subsequent reboot seems to have done the trick.
Phew.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:40 am

Phew indeed - error messages like that on bootup can still raise one's blood pressure alarmingly can't they? :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:12 am

:thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby IAA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 am

American Megatrends! The first thing I ever saw when I bought my first 286 computer with DOS 3 - what a memory that was! Thanks Blindrew.
I remembered at the time thinking that looks seriously complicated I hope it just carries on working. I went over to Mac some 10 years ago and whilst not always straightforward I never saw a BIOS screen, which is a shame :D

Ian (reminiscing about the good ole days of computing -when the point of having a computer ......was to have a computer)
IAA
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 am

Yep, it's an old Dell machine. I hadn't actually realised HOW old! Still just about keeping up though, so if I get another decade out of it I guess I can stretch to another 2032 battery... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 am

My general purpose/web browsing PC is an even older Dell with a slightly older Q6600 processor. With 8GB RAM, a 1TB SSD and a reasonable graphics card, it's still perfectly useable.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby OneWorld » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Wonks wrote:My general purpose/web browsing PC is an even older Dell with a slightly older Q6600 processor. With 8GB RAM, a 1TB SSD and a reasonable graphics card, it's still perfectly useable.

Same here, I have a general purpose PC which was a roll your own, I've forgotten just how long I have had it. It is a Win10 Core 2 Quad with 16MegoRam and a smallish c:SSD - and a bigger data drive. I'm probably tempting providence now, but it has performed flawlessly apart from the odd drive failure over the years. And some years ago the critical error message, but a cmos batter change and it was right as rain.

I was at one point in time going to attempt downsizing and forfeiting the luxury of having both a music PC and an email/internet/messing about PC, but on second thoughts, nah, it's really handy at times to have the spare machine.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I've had drive failures in the past, one of which forced the change to an SSD. 8GB RAM is all it will take otherwise I'd have added more. With WIN10, its up and running about 10 seconds after power-on, so much better than the 2-3 minutes it used to take with older WIN versions and a conventional HDD.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853