You are here

Guitar cab Impulse Responses w/ Cubase 10 - Cubase's Reverence for this or use 3rd party?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Guitar cab Impulse Responses w/ Cubase 10 - Cubase's Reverence for this or use 3rd party?

Postby Rhys Llewellyn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:25 pm

I'd rather keep my system as uncluttered as possible, so like the idea of utilising plugins I already have, if possible. Plus, I'm generally of the persuasion that with the plethora of free IR loaders out there, you sometimes get what you "pay" for.

I don't even have Cubase 10 installed yet, so haven't had a chance to experiment, but is it suitable, or is it designed to model reverb responses only?

Secondly, regarding performance -

Say I want to track 4 rhythm guitars, all using the same amp sim/IR. If I have these 4 tracks in a group, can I simply put an insert on the group bus? How does it go about processing each sound individually? Is this actually equivalent to loading up 4 identical instances of the same plug ins, CPU performance wise?

I've noticed in the past when I messed around with amp sims and impulses that they seemed quite processor heavy on my old 32-bit rig, and obviously need my latency as low as possible.

Rhys Llewellyn
Regular

Re: Guitar cab Impulse Responses w/ Cubase 10 - Cubase's Reverence for this or use 3rd party?

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:I don't even have Cubase 10 installed yet, so haven't had a chance to experiment, but is it suitable, or is it designed to model reverb responses only?
You can load your own impulses into Reverence, but I've never considered using it for cab responses. Give it a try.

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:Say I want to track 4 rhythm guitars, all using the same amp sim/IR. If I have these 4 tracks in a group, can I simply put an insert on the group bus?
Yeeeessss...

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:How does it go about processing each sound individually?
It doesn't. You would be processing the sum of everything that is routed to the Group. It would be a bit of a mess if you had two guitar signals hitting the Group at once.

TBH I would abandon this idea before you start. It seems like asking for trouble. If you need to save processing power then just freeze tracks - job done.

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:I've noticed in the past when I messed around with amp sims and impulses that they seemed quite processor heavy on my old 32-bit rig, and obviously need my latency as low as possible.
Latency is down to the ASIO buffer size. That doesn't change as you add processes, but it may limit the number you can add before you start getting hiccups. Use the track freeze function to avoid hitting the limit.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Guitar cab Impulse Responses w/ Cubase 10 - Cubase's Reverence for this or use 3rd party?

Postby Rhys Llewellyn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks, Elf, I'll give it a try :)

I suspected as much about 4 guitars into one plugin causing a huge mess. It just made me think that perhaps the clever routing behind the scenes is treated in a special way so as to avoid that. Clearly not!

Thanks again :)
Rhys Llewellyn
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Rhys Llewellyn wrote:I suspected as much about 4 guitars into one plugin causing a huge mess. It just made me think that perhaps the clever routing behind the scenes is treated in a special way so as to avoid that. Clearly not!
It's not something that needs to be avoided. Groups are simply submixes. Any clever background splitting would defeat their purpose!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.