You are here

Windows 7's impending death

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 7's impending death

Postby tonemangler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 am

Looks like I'll finally have to upgrade from Windows 7.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3359450 ... pport.html

I thought it was a great OS.
tonemangler
Regular
"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Re: Windows 7's impending death

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:50 am

Another good reason to disable auto updates on all your computers as a 1st principle.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby The Korff » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 am

tonemangler wrote:I thought it was a great OS.

It really was! Almost up there with good old XP... I still get misty-eyed about that one, and I can almost remember my old activation code for it. By the end, I could format and reinstall the old gal, de-bloat and TweakUI her to perfection, in less than half an hour.

Windows 7 was never quite as streamlined and lightweight, but damn she served us well.

Farewell, old friend.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 am

I've just upgraded someone to 7 from Vista on a machine that won't cope with 10. The messages have already started. I've warned them not to click 'upgrade' under any circumstances!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

The Korff wrote:
tonemangler wrote:I thought it was a great OS.

It really was! Almost up there with good old XP... I still get misty-eyed about that one, and I can almost remember my old activation code for it. By the end, I could format and reinstall the old gal, de-bloat and TweakUI her to perfection, in less than half an hour.

Windows 7 was never quite as streamlined and lightweight, but damn she served us well.

Farewell, old friend.

You'll have me yearning for Win3.11 Workgroup OS next, when you could install an application and if the package was shown to be 10meg then 10meg went on, and not one byte more.

Because OS's have been refined so much, it's difficult to imagine what they can add to improve them, Win3.11 - how many times can you re-invent the wheel, Win3.11 was a cartwheel, but WIn7 could go on a Jag.

I went to Win10, simply because of the free offer they gave the first year it came out. It would be nice if once an OS was abandoned by the manufacturer, then there was a facility to lock down the OS so no virus's could sneak onto it. I do think WIn10 is quicker than Win7, marginally, and to some extent you can tweak it to shut out all the bloated blingy stuff Micrsoft seems to think we need. I think I shall try and stick with it until a 128 bit os appears.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Ok let’s go directly to punch cards and be done with it :-D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 pm

:round1: cards if I ever get my hands on Satya Nadella
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby The Bunk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Well I'm going to keep a close eye on this because when I originally upgraded to Win10, I was back to Win7 within 24 hours. I'm really a computer numpty but Win7 does, for me, all I need domestically. From what I've read so far it sounds like you're likely to be putting your PC at risk (a worry) and not get updates (couldn't care less, in fact I find them a PITA and can't say I've noticed any "improvements"). If that's all...could I live with it??

I pretty much only use my home PC for music production (a lot), Youtube type stuff on the internet and occasionally saying "hello mum" on email. If I could stay on 7 in any way, I'd stay there. Although I suppose we never know what we're missing if we've never had it in the first place...But I do know if I have to go to Win10, Martin Walker* will be getting a pretty swift invitation to my gaff to sort out the mess.

(* Other computer bods are also no doubt available!)
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Watchmaker wrote::round1: cards if I ever get my hands on Satya Nadella

lol
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm

I guess the OS will be going to 7th Heaven?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:39 pm

Believe it or not but I will be looking for an XP laptop in a week or so!

I have been given a pretty decent Canon A40 camera but it only talks to XP or earlier.
I had thought of going the VM route as I have an XP pro disc but am treefied my acute PC numptyness will cause havoc to my HP lappy.

Then, out of the blue I got a letter that told me they had underpaid my private pension for nine years! So I should be getting close to a bag soon. Mind you I have had to tell HMRC and they will take 20%. Cannot complain though, would have paid that tax had I been getting the right amount anyway.

So, cheap as possible XP lappy, only has to run USB 1.1 and then keep a bit back for a fairly basic W10 machine nearer to the death.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Dave - try the VM first. It will do absolutely no harm to your existing setup. The only issues will be whether your software requires low level hardware access to the USB ports or whether it will be happy with the emulated ports. On Windows 7 you can use XP Mode but on Windows 10 you'll need to use VirtualBox.

To the OP - don't be too scared of Windows 10. It is a much smaller jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10 than it was from Windows XP to Windows 7. If you really don't want to make the jump then you could always get a cheap Windows 10 computer for internet browsing and carry on using the Windows 7 machine for music disconnected from the Internet.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby pa28 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Win 7 has been a rock for me, my music PC is 7, and, goes on-line, extremely rarely, and will continue to run Cubase Pro 8.5 + upgrades? for hopefully many years from now. I have a really rugged made of real metal old Compaq laptop that still runs XP, but sadly has a few problems, with Adobe Flash being blocked, and the cpu is not specced enough to run lousy Win 8, never mind Win 10 which would have been great as machine I have as an ad-hoc PC in my bedroom while lying in the pit looking at M25 traffic flow............
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:21 pm

James Perrett wrote:Dave - try the VM first. It will do absolutely no harm to your existing setup. The only issues will be whether your software requires low level hardware access to the USB ports or whether it will be happy with the emulated ports. On Windows 7 you can use XP Mode but on Windows 10 you'll need to use VirtualBox.

To the OP - don't be too scared of Windows 10. It is a much smaller jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10 than it was from Windows XP to Windows 7. If you really don't want to make the jump then you could always get a cheap Windows 10 computer for internet browsing and carry on using the Windows 7 machine for music disconnected from the Internet.

Oooeer! Maybe James, maybe but now I can afford a separate solution I think I shall do that.

I can't agree about W10 being fairly "nice"? My two engagements with it were very frustrating but yes, I am going the route you suggested, buy a basic W10 "office" machine.
I have too much time and money invested in this HP laptop to risk Ten borking it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:To the OP - don't be too scared of Windows 10. It is a much smaller jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10 than it was from Windows XP to Windows 7. If you really don't want to make the jump then you could always get a cheap Windows 10 computer for internet browsing and carry on using the Windows 7 machine for music disconnected from the Internet.

That sounds like a plan!
I've just spoken to one of our IT bods at work (who is well up on this issue) and she said that as long as my PC has decent security software (I've currently got Norton) there shouldn't be anything to worry about...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 pm

"support" isn't the same as "functional" it simply means MS will task the existing "developers" with writing more code for the NSA. Eventually the attack surface will shrink to a negligible background noise because hardly anyone uses it. That's Apple's primary defense mechanism btw. Only nerds with nothing to lose but arty stuff use 'em. Business is still done on PCs, unless you're an executive and an iPad is all you can be trusted with.

I have zero plans for updating my WIN 7 computer. OTH, I have finally accepted that I have to be a full time sysadmin for my WIN10 machine which involves removing bloatware, disabling useless services, maintaining firewall settings through group policy, and a fair number of registry hacks (take THAT! Cortana!). Thank god I have the skills. I feel for the poor dumb bastards that have to accept the crap microsoft dishes out.

OS's really do not need much more in the way of improvements. It's really only the insatiable craving for moarnewershinyshiny that drives all of this. All I want is reliability, security, high performance and low cost. Is that too much to ask?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby scw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Hmmm I've dreaded this for some time.
I changed my other PCs over to W10 at the end of last year. I actually like the interface and everything went without a hitch.

I've put off changing my DAW PC to W10 for fear of running into problems with the DAW and the other installed software like NI Komplete etc. I've got so much stuff on it that I couldn't face a disaster.

To the guys that migrated over - did you have any issues? I plan to upgrade rather than clean install. Obviously the hardware driver issues make me more reticent - my RME fireface should be OK but the midiman 2x2 looks like it's not supported.

Stewart
scw
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Watchmaker wrote:OS's really do not need much more in the way of improvements.

Not sure about that...

For audio we really need an efficient real time operating system that can handle multiple incoming and outgoing data streams in a timely and predictable way. While MS and Apple have tried to achieve this with their general purpose desktop operating systems I think these things only really work because of the sheer computing power that we have available these days. We really shouldn't have to run tools like the DPC latency checker to get our programs to work these days.
James Perrett

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 pm

scw wrote:I plan to upgrade rather than clean install.

Most of the reports of problems have been from people who have upgraded. Clean installs seem more reliable. I've used an ancient MOTU MIDI interface on Windows 10 with no problems but haven't tried my M-Audio 2x2 midi interface.
James Perrett

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

James Perrett wrote:
scw wrote:I plan to upgrade rather than clean install.

Most of the reports of problems have been from people who have upgraded. Clean installs seem more reliable. I've used an ancient MOTU MIDI interface on Windows 10 with no problems but haven't tried my M-Audio 2x2 midi interface.

I used an M-Audio 4x4 with Win10 no problems, I traded up to the 8x8 model and it was all over the place, ironically I had an old Steinberg Midex 8x8 and it's spot on!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next