You are here

Hard Drive Configuration

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Hard Drive Configuration

Postby tonemangler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I am building a new music PC and am planning on the following setup for my hard drives:

250GB SSD PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2---OS Windows 10
1TB SSD PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2---Samples
1TB SATA SSD---Audio+Samples
1TB 7200 RPM Mechanical---Data+Images+Backup (taken from my existing PC)

My current system consists of only mechanical drives and each one is partitioned, my question is whether or not it is recommended to partition SSD's. In my case the SATA SSD for audio+samples. My internet search yielded different answers. Also, is the process for partitioning an SSD the same as that of a mechanical drive? Which partition software is recommended? Thanks
tonemangler
Regular
"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 pm

tonemangler wrote:My current system consists of only mechanical drives and each one is partitioned, my question is whether or not it is recommended to partition SSD's.

We used to partition most drives as due to the way the platter is used, they tend to slow down on the second half of the drive. So, stream off the first half partition and archive on the backend.

You don't have those concerns with solid state storage, so no, you don't really need to partition, unless it's for organizational reasons.

I'll still partition the OS drive if it's too large for just the OS. So I've got a 1TB SSD and it's 50/50 OS and storage. That way the OS partition is quicker to back up and recover and more importantly, I can just nuke the C:\ if needs arise and the D:\ sample data is still sat there untouched and that saves me time with any potential recovery.

tonemangler wrote:Also, is the process for partitioning an SSD the same as that of a mechanical drive?

Yes.

tonemangler wrote:Which partition software is recommended? Thanks

None of them for working with a new blank drive as Windows drive manager inside of control panel does it just fine. If I was resizing an established drive with a ton of data on it I might use Partition magic instead, but it's overkill for day to day use.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Postby tonemangler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks Pete, since I have a dedicated OS drive I won't bother with partitioning. :thumbup:
tonemangler
Regular
"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel