You are here

Looking for laptop on ebay to use as a Music player

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Looking for laptop on ebay to use as a Music player

Postby ef37a » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

night ans day wrote:
ef37a wrote:[
Drop a score on a Behringer UCA 202/222. They are generic USB so work on anything and the replay quality is far better than most inbuilt laptop sound cards.

Dave.
As I recall those models require drivers for them to work on win xp but plug and play on win 10, but win 10 is prone to problems like needing rebooting for them to work

Given that these sound cards are less then $25, manufacture don't tend to bother to keep up with the latest driver and support for newer machine, infact when they blatantly publish in there manuals that you will receive a CD with all the drivers on to install on your machine and there simply is no disk supplied. Just don't expect a lot of help and support for an old sound card under $25!

I don't have a W10 machine handy as yet to try mine on but I would be VERY surprised if the UCA did not work on ten now.

I found some folks having RECORDING problems with the wee things in 2018 but replay was fine. I would bet any wrinkles have been ironed out by now.

BTW...not "an old soundcard"! The converters are still very current. Ok, not a brilliant device but you should get a noise floor around -85dBfs and you would be hard put to find programme with that dynamic range! Anyhoos! How long would 25 bucks last down the Mucky Duck?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:37 am

ef37a wrote:As I recall those models require drivers for them to work on win xp but plug and play on win 10, but win 10 is prone to problems like needing rebooting for them to work
Like I said there is no software for it so expect it to run into problems

Postby ef37a » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:11 am

night ans day wrote:
ef37a wrote:As I recall those models require drivers for them to work on win xp but plug and play on win 10, but win 10 is prone to problems like needing rebooting for them to work
Like I said there is no software for it so expect it to run into problems

No, I did not say that. I said the device uses generic USB drivers like a USB memory stick and should work on any Windows or mac platform.

Or you can use this: http://www.asio4all.org/

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:51 pm

ef37a wrote:Or you can use this: http://www.asio4all.org/
Your rekindling some old memories I had when I had problems getting mine to work. I remember that link you provided as I remember downloading one of the files from that site to get the device to work.

Still very disappointing to see that it has to come from a 3rd party source as the manufactures do not supply this

Previous